Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Wrennie
0 Kudos

Unlock my nook...what's with that???

[ Edited ]

I have had my nook for a couple weeks. I am reading my 4th book and all of a sudden, when I try to access that book to continue reading...I am getting a screen that reads "Unlock Your Nook" and it wants my name and credit card number that I used to purchase the book. I have already started this book and it was a FREE download from B&N!!! What the h*ll. Now I can't not only find my books I'm reading in "Reading Now," but when I finally do find them, I can't read them because they are locked!? 

Seriously, can you only read one book at a time? I started another book, and now when I return to resume reading it, I can't get to that title since the last book I read was another title. Shouldn't the titles of the books you are reading be listed under the "Reading Now" button so you can choose which one to resume reading? Come on B&N...I love my nook but some of the navigating issues are soooo unintuitive!

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Re: Unlock my nook...what's with that???

You're misunderstanding what "reading now" is.  Its purpose is to take you directly (or should!) to the last page you read of the most recent book you read.  If you want to go to a list of books, you go to "my library".  If you want to go to the last page of a book that was NOT the most recent book you were reading, there is a menu option to go to the furthest point read.  Some people are having issues with this feature, but that is how it is supposed to work.

With regard to the unlocking - you're reading something that has DRM protection.  the credit card number it is asking you to enter is the credit card on file with B&N when the book is downloaded, regardless of whether or not you paid for the book.  Barnes and Noble (and many other e-reader systems) are using your credit card as your "unlock" password because they believe that you will not freely give away your credit card number to other people (except perhaps a very small number that you trust implicitly), hence reducing the risk that you could give away multiple copies of your DRM'd books.  They are not trying to charge you.

It should, once you've entered your password (cc number) once, remember that you've used the unlock code on this device and not ask you for it again, unless you get books from a different source that require their own DRM unlocking.

Frequent Contributor
Wrennie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the help. I really am enjoying my nook...BUT, I do think that the Reading Now section should list what you are reading...ALL of the books you are currently reading. Doesn't that just seem more intuitive? You go to "reading now" and there are the books you are reading...not just the last one, but all of them. They would be listed the same way they are under our libraries. Am I being picky? I don't think so, I guess that after using Apple computers for years, I just expect things to follow a logical sequence. You tap Reading Now and there should be the books you are now reading...not just the last one, but any you are reading. It's very annoying to want to read just the first few pages of a book, and all of a sudden that's the only book that opens in Reading Now. So you are back to your Library, scrolling through pages to find the book you are reading, select it, open it and then you can continue reading. I just think it could be easier and more logical. 

As far as the "furthest point read" feature. You still have to exit "reading now" and search for the other books you are reading. I just think the books you are reading now...should be listed under "reading now".

:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Well, to each his own I guess, because I like the way it is and personally find it more "logical".  (a) how would the nook be able to differentiate what you're actually "reading now" vs. the full library if it's 5 or 7 different things?  (b) if it was structured the way you suggest, we would have 2 shortcuts that bring us to a list of different books (my library and reading now), and no shortcut that brings us directly back to the last thing we're reading.  That certainly doesn't seem logical to me.  

Then again, I tend (so far, in my vast 4 days of using the device!) to either archive or delete things that I'm done reading, so the entirety of "my library" are things that I'm in the midst of reading.  

But perhaps the best solution would be choice - let people change the settings (within limited parameters) of what the buttons on the bottom can do.  

Frequent Contributor
Wrennie
0 Kudos

You misunderstood what I mean. Say you have 75 books in your library...but you are actually only reading 3 of them, those 3 should be listed under "reading now" since they are the books you are currently reading. Makes a world of sense to me. I understand why "reading now" takes you to the last page of your last book. All I'm saying is...what if I want to resume reading a different book...I should have that option under "reading now" since that is also a book I am reading. When I tap the "reading now" screen I feel that ALL the books I am reading (NOT all the books I have loaded on my nook, just the ones I'm reading) should be listed there. After all...they are the books I am "reading now."

Frequent Contributor
MaxP
0 Kudos

I agree with very-simple on this one.  I find the reading now option to be common sense.  I think it makes perfect sense to have the reading now take you to the last page of the book you are currently reading.  I am also reading two books at a time and I have no problem re-opening the previous book from my library.  This seems to fall in line with most of the other ebook readers.

Frequent Contributor
Tome-Reader
0 Kudos

I understand what the OP is asking for.  It is essentially how Amazon's Kindle does it when you have it set for "Most Recent" rather than author or title.

If you stop reading a book and put the reader to sleep, when you wake it up again next time, you are in that book at the spot you stopped reading.   But if you are reading more than one book, the titles will appear at the top of the home screen and you can go there and easily switch between one to another and each will be at the last page read.  This works whether youput the reader to sleep or turn it off entirely.

I hadn't been aware that the Nook doesn't allow for this.

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Tome-Reader, the Nook does allow for sorting to the top and jumping back in to any book (theoretically) to get back to the last page read.  The problem is that it only is currently doing that for some books.  Most of mine return properly consistently.  A few don't.   We're talking a couple dozen recently tried for me, and a couple failures.  For others, perhaps they're checking they're unlucky few, or perhaps I've just been the lucky one.

Frequent Contributor
Denker
0 Kudos

Wrennie, I highly agree, however there is this feature in sorting of books as stated in the manual:

Sorting Lists In the My B&N Content part of the library, you can sort lists. You can sort by:

Most Recent (default): The list is sorted by how recently you have read the content. Content that you have not read is sorted by how recently it was downloaded.

This accomplishes what you are looking for and makes it so that the reading now button is reserved for the last thing you are reading.