Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
4michael1
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Using the nook in Canada

i've been reading the blog posts for a few days and i'm still a bit confused about how the nook will work here

i understand that i will be able to use wifi to connect to the B&N ebook store beginning in December

but would that be directly from the nook?  will i be able to browse and download on the nook itself or will i have to do it on my computer and sync after purchase?

i guess my main question is this:  will a nook brought to Canada function in every way in Canada as one does in the U.S.?

I'm heading to NYC on December 4 and was hoping to pick up a nook in store

thanks so much for your help,

michael

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W

Re: Using the nook in Canada

Thanks for your inquiry.  nook will function in Canada the same as it does in the United States.  You will be able to browse and purchase directly from nook.

Contributor
4michael1
0 Kudos

Finally, a straightforward answer! 

thanks Josh!!

Inspired Contributor
ajrosen
0 Kudos

nook may function in Canada, but good luck getting one in store! Quantities will be very limited.

Contributor
4michael1
0 Kudos

yup i'm expecting that

just thought that maybe Manhatten would be a high volume store

it's the cabbage patch kids all over again!  lol

Contributor
4michael1
0 Kudos

hi Josh,

i just received an email from another B&N employee stating that the nook will function in Canada, as in you can read it, but it will not download...?

it's frustrating to be given conflicting information

michael

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

You will be able to download eBooks with nook in Canada starting around December 1st.  I apologize that you have received conflicting information.

New User
saltygoat
0 Kudos

Would you please confirm that the nook will download books in Canada (the same as  US} using a Canadian credit card.

Thanks

New User
Kevin_L
0 Kudos

Hello, so just to confirm, Will the nook be able to download ebooks in CANADA using 3G ??? I know that it was mentioned that the nook will be able to download ebooks in canada via wifi conection, which is great but not always available (i.e. on the road). So will we have access to a 3G network as well?

Second, can we buy ebooks yet in Canada...It was suppose to start as of December 1st, but no annoucement has been made, so just wondering if they are available as of now, and if not, when??

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W

Thanks for your inquiry.

You will be able to purchase eBooks in Canada soon.  We don't have an exact date to provide you with at this time.  You will also be able to make these purchases on nook through the 3G network or through Wi-Fi connectivity. 

You should be able to pay with a Canadian credit card as long as it's one of our accepted payment methods (i.e.- MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Visa, Diners Club, JCB).

New User
London55
0 Kudos

Hi there,

If I order the Nook online will it ship to Canada, or do I need to buy it from a B & N store in the United States. I'd like to pre-order one ASAP if I can. I'm in Ontario.

Thank you for all these updates about Canadian orders.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W

Thanks for your inquiry London55.  You will not be able to purchase nook in Canada or have nook shipped to you.  You would need to purchase it in the United States. 

New User
London55
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. Can I order the Nook online and have it held for me at an American B & N store location? Or do I need to hope that they have one in stock? 

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W

You won't be able to order one online to be held at a Barnes & Noble store.  If you were going to check with a store location, you should definitely give them a call ahead of time to see if they have nook in stock. 

Contributor
eilujJT
0 Kudos

Hi Josh_W,

One of the reasons I had planned on getting a nook was the availability of eBook ordering from Barnes and Noble starting December 1st in Canada. This seems to have not been implemented, according to your posts above. Will this be implemented by Christmas? I had planned on asking for Barnes and Noble gift cards for Christmas, but if I cannot buy eBooks in Canada then it is useless. Thanks.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W

Thanks for your inquiry eilujJT.  We had previously said it would be available around December 1st.  It is something that should be available shortly.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide an exact date at this time.

Contributor
allan_vancouver
0 Kudos

"Some" of the eBooks are orderable from Canada as of Dec 9, however

In the Science Fiction eBooks, only about 1 in 5 books can be ordered by a Canadian.  They have the statement: 

These items ship to U.S. and Canadian addresses only.

The others that cannot be ordered have the statement:

These items ship to U.S. addresses only.

So, if you check the fine print on each book you will see what titles can be ordered with a Canadian billing address and what titles cannot.  If you make a mistake and order the US Only titles you will get a billing address error message for your credit card.

Reader 2
SN24
0 Kudos

Its december 31 and i am in Canada however, I still cannot purchase ebooks from B&N. 8(

It keeps telling me i need a US credit card/billing address to purchase, even though the ebook I am trying to purchase states it is available to us and canada...help!

Am i doing something wrong or is this just not working yet?

Reader
ironken
0 Kudos

I live in vancouver and got my nook delivered to Miami where i spent the holidays with family. it works fine here. As long as you have cellular service

Contributor
4michael1
0 Kudos

i would love to have a true review from a user in Canada that has the nook in his hands! :smileyhappy: