Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bclee
0 Kudos

Where is the nook's card slot?

I've been poring over the info we have so far, but I haven't been able to figure this one out.  The bottom of the device looks like it has a MicroUSB port and a headphone jack.  The top has a silver button-like thing that looks a lot like...well, like a power button.  The dummy unit at my local B&N doesn't seem to have anything else that looks obviously like an access door or card slot.

So where's the MicroSD card slot?  Is there a way to insert and remove the card without opening the device?

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Re: Where is the nook's card slot?

Frequent Contributor
Loupy1
0 Kudos

Tech Specs

Also note that it's not backlit and it does not have text-to-speech abilities.

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

And it doesn't dispense candy.

Frequent Contributor
Loupy1
0 Kudos

Ha!

Are you as sick as I am of the same questions being repeatedly asked?

Contributor
bclee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Loupy1 wrote:

Tech Specs

Maybe one of the admins can confirm the location of the slot.  The indentations on the bottom that flank the USB and headphone jack match up with smaller ones on the top of the device, almost like they were intended for "snapping" the nook into a case or something similar.  They didn't look like microSD slots to me.

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Lol yea... I just don't understand it. The product is something that involves reading. And they are not even doing that. What are they buying it for? Rectangle Frisbee?

Inspired Contributor
PeaFour
0 Kudos

Rutter9 wrote:

And it doesn't dispense candy.

But I can still download ebooks outside of the US, right?  Right?

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

The question is: does it really matter where the sd card slot is? Will you return it if it's on the side? Personally I'd like to know where this fangled LCD is on it.

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

You mean it doesn't work outside the U.S.? I bought this for cousin in Kazakhstan to use for cell phone make sexy time.

Inspired Correspondent
lilio
0 Kudos

Loupy, I get that you do not like repeats.   Why, then, do you respond? 

Contributor
bclee
0 Kudos

Rutter9 wrote:

The question is: does it really matter where the sd card slot is? Will you return it if it's on the side? 

No, but if it's not an externally accessible slot, requiring the user to open the thing, that's a different story.

I read quite a few journal articles and other documents during the course of my day, but the only way I can accommodate them right now is to keep an unwieldy pile of paper, folded in half, stuffed into my coat pocket.  Not my image of professional attire, but almost unavoidable.  If I could easily slip the microSD card into and out of the nook, I could sideload as many articles as I want without keeping a USB cable on me, looking for a computer with eReader software on it, etc. etc.

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Based on products I've owned for the past 5 years it will definitely be externally accessible. If it's not then that would be a major, major fail. Like behind the battery on some cell phones... LOL

Contributor
bclee
0 Kudos

Rutter9 wrote:

Based on products I've owned for the past 5 years it will definitely be externally accessible. If it's not then that would be a major, major fail. Like behind the battery on some cell phones... LOL

Like my old RAZR?  Yeah, that would be....suboptimal.  :smileytongue:

Contributor
jeremy81
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bclee wrote:

Loupy1 wrote:

Tech Specs

Maybe one of the admins can confirm the location of the slot.  The indentations on the bottom that flank the USB and headphone jack match up with smaller ones on the top of the device, almost like they were intended for "snapping" the nook into a case or something similar.  They didn't look like microSD slots to me.

They are for snapping a case in place. Haven't you seen the Lyra and Industriell cases?

Contributor
bclee
0 Kudos

So it looks like the grey back of the device is user replaceable, given the different colored backs that one can pre-order online.  Looks like they snap on and off the nook.  Wouldn't be surprised if the slot is hiding behind the back cover.  Either that, or the production nooks have added a slot/door that isn't on the mock-ups or in any of the scant photos we've seen so far...shrug.  It'll be the 9th soon enough.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W

Thanks for your inquiry.  The microSD card slot is on the back of nook.  You have to remove the back cover and there you will find the spot for a microSD card.  The battery is also located in this same area, under the back cover.

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene
0 Kudos

What I wonder is whether the internal flash and the SD card will both be exposed through the USB interface, or just one of them?  (Presumably they'd appear as two separate "drives".)

Frequent Contributor
Loupy1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Deleted

Inspired Contributor
stirwise
0 Kudos

If it functions at all like my Sony Reader it will load both the internal flash and any external card as separate drives when you plug it into the computer.