Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Kallanreed
0 Kudos

Why does my nook randomly wake up?

My nook randomly wakes up from sleep.  I think that maybe it's looking for content to download (daily updates, etc...) but that doesn't make sense as it's in airplane mode.  Why is it waking up if it can't download stuff anyway?

Anyone else have this problem?

Contributor
traceyreads
0 Kudos

Re: Why does my nook randomly wake up?

Mine does this too.  

Frequent Contributor
Reety
0 Kudos

the user manual mentions that, around the various power states of your nook. 

It explains that standby will periodically wake up to check for new content, so you're correct. 

My guess is that the nook is in standby and has a timer to wake up and check for content, but doesn't disable that counter when Airplane mode = On and Nook = standby

Probably a bug that needs fixing. 

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Thanks for pointing this out. ... We'll try to get some details on this.

Contributor
lkszip
0 Kudos

Mine has just recently started doing this, ever since I had the little problem of it freezing up and I had to remove the battery and plug it into my computer to get it to do anything.  Ever since, it randomly just wakes up, yawns and goes back to sleep :smileysurprised:

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

If it's like me, it wakes up when it has to pee, which could be at any time of the night... randomly.

Contributor
Special-Circumstances
0 Kudos

I have this problem as well. Still waiting for a new update. 

Barnes and Noble...Please come out with one!!! LOL.