Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
thegriff
0 Kudos

Will Nook support ereader.com/fictionwise books?

Fairly simple question.  Considering the B&N eBook store is based on the old eReader technology I would HOPE the Nook will support my existing collection.  Ready to pre-order but don't want to "lose" my old books.

New User
IanBeck
0 Kudos

Re: Will Nook support ereader.com/fictionwise books?

[ Edited ]

This is the single issue that will decide if I buy a nook or not. I have maybe 25-30 books that I purchased on eReader.com years ago when I had a Palm. I've been a very happy Kindle customer, but if nook offers me the ability to reclaim those lost books along with all its other great features (I'm particularly interested in lending), then it may well be worth jumping ship.

I really wish that Barnes and Noble offered some way to get my books off Kindle, too, but I suppose that's never going to happen until books lose this overly restrictive DRM. I'd be willing to settle for breaking out the ol' Kindle when I want to read those particular books.

Reader 2
Cyndessa
0 Kudos

Yeah I would like to know exactly what formats will be supported.  The second I hear that it will support my collection of .RB, .pdf and .doc ebooks I will preorder one!!

I've kept my ebook reader from ebookwise simlpy because I have such a collection of ebooks for it.  If I swapped to Kindle- I would no longer be able to go through my old favs without having to repurchase them!  Thus I never purcased a Kindle.

Being able to easily transfer my old collection of ebooks is a must-have in order for me to think about replacing my trusty ebookreader from ebookwise!

New User
cjt50
0 Kudos

I continue the motion for support of the ereader.com accounts on the NOOK!!!

I have over 100 ebooks in my current account and it getting real hard to continue to read them on my PDA / Ipod touch. (looking forward to re-reading some books!!)

Scribe
Kevin

[ Edited ]

thegriff wrote:

Fairly simple question.  Considering the B&N eBook store is based on the old eReader technology I would HOPE the Nook will support my existing collection.  Ready to pre-order but don't want to "lose" my old books.

Thanks for the question. We know it's an important issue.

Yes, you can add your Fictionwise PDB, PDF and ePub content (and ereader.com PDB content) to nook using a USB connection

nook accepts ePub, PDB and PDF files for reading, MP3s for audio, and JPG, GIF, PNG, or BMP for screensavers.

Contributor
EricTeall
0 Kudos

When you say that Nook handles EPUB, does this mean that it can handle DRM'ed EPUB's from other stores?  Like, for example, Sony's store (once they've completed their promised transition to all EPUB files)?

I currently have a PRS-505, but if I knew that my Sony files (which should all be updated to EPUB, according to their FAQs) were going to be transferrable, that would make Nook much more attractive to me with its additional features.

Thanks!

New User
Spencer1
0 Kudos

I just spoke with a BN representative at their service desk and she told me that I can not use Nook to access my e-reader books.  It's BN or the highway.

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

EricTeall wrote:

When you say that Nook handles EPUB, does this mean that it can handle DRM'ed EPUB's from other stores?  Like, for example, Sony's store (once they've completed their promised transition to all EPUB files)?

Eric,

nook will accept any un-DRM'ed ePub file, as well as any ePub file using Adobe's DRM or B&N's DRM.

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

Here's an email I received from Fictionwise:

Hi,

Yes, the Secure eReader format and the non-encrypted eReader PDB format will work on the Nook.

It will also support non-encrypted ePub and non-encrypted PDF.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Fictionwise Support Team

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

For clarity sake, we're going to lock this thread, and refer questions to the Fictionwise and eReader.com files thread in this board.

Thanks for understanding. To help people find answers the fastest, we're trying to keep things organized.