Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
tduffy
0 Kudos

cost of ebooks

What will the cost of ebooks be?

Correspondent
athenagwis
0 Kudos

Re: cost of ebooks

Most of the new books cost $9.99, the older books usually seem to range from $5 to $8.  You can browse the ebooks here:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp?bnit=H  to see what your favorite titles might cost.

Cheers!

New User
StanDiego
0 Kudos

In general, how does the cost of B&N ebooks compare to Amazon kindle ebooks? Amazon's paper books are typically significantly cheaper.

Contributor
ExileJelly
0 Kudos

Check out this article that discusses cost beyond just the $9.99 books B&N wants you to know about.

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/The-Crook-in-the-Nook-Barnes-Noble-ebooks-are-overpriced-c...

New User
penny61PM
0 Kudos

Rachael -- So, you CAN respond to cost questions.  Now how about those hundreds of people who, like me, have either ordered or are thinking about buying nook but have taken a careful look at the truly breathtaking difference in the pricing of Amazon's ebooks!  I cannot see how I can stay with the still-unpurchased choice of nook!!

Please respond.  For every one person who writes there are hundreds more who are silent.  This is a big mistake on the part of Barnes and Noble, especially in these fiscally difficult times.

New User
StanDiego
0 Kudos

just as I suspected. B&N, you lost a nook sale to me. As others have stated elsewhere, superiority of the hardware is not reason enough to pay the hefty prices of your e-books.

I suspect B&N has a lot riding on the success of the nook. Again they're going to blow their opportunity because of greed. It's unfortunate because the competition would be good for all of us sans Amazon.

B&N, it's not too late...

Frequent Contributor
JimM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

StanDiego wrote:

just as I suspected. B&N, you lost a nook sale to me. As others have stated elsewhere, superiority of the hardware is not reason enough to pay the hefty prices of your e-books.

I suspect B&N has a lot riding on the success of the nook. Again they're going to blow their opportunity because of greed. It's unfortunate because the competition would be good for all of us sans Amazon.

B&N, it's not too late...

If you look at other threads around here, you'd see that they ARE working on bringing the prices down, bringing them much more closely in line with other eBook stores, even beating Amazon's prices in a number of cases.

For example: this thread and this one.

Inspired Contributor
dc22
0 Kudos

penny61PM wrote:

Rachael -- So, you CAN respond to cost questions.  Now how about those hundreds of people who, like me, have either ordered or are thinking about buying nook but have taken a careful look at the truly breathtaking difference in the pricing of Amazon's ebooks!  I cannot see how I can stay with the still-unpurchased choice of nook!!

Please respond.  For every one person who writes there are hundreds more who are silent.  This is a big mistake on the part of Barnes and Noble, especially in these fiscally difficult times.

She is a "frequent contributer" meaning she posts on the boards a lot. She is NOT and "admin". She does not work for B&N. and if you do a little "simple search" through the boards you will fine this topic has been discussed in detail numerous times. The prices are competitive at the publishers price. Amazon takes a pay cut from their prices. 

New User
StanDiego
0 Kudos

Thanks, Jim. It does look promising. I think I'll wait a bit and see if the trend continues. It's a shame that the nook and kindle ebook formats are proprietary and not cross-platform compatible.

Contributor
WestOf8th
0 Kudos

I doubt this will be a long term issue.  The ebook landscape will get more and more competitive.  Those who are more value oriented can buy ebooks elsewhere and transfer them to the nook via USB.  Amazon already sells some books in PDF format, and we'll probably see this more of this in the future.  To prevent this, B&N will likely keep prices in line with other merchants, just like they do with paper-based books.

Frequent Contributor
kristi_c
0 Kudos

I've been doing some research and I want the nook.  So that's one decision made.  I think that I'm going to let my barnes and noble membership expire and get a fictionwise membership instead.  They offer competitive pricing plus many specials and they are a barnes and noble company so their formats will work on the nook. 

Frequent Contributor
arrowspace90
0 Kudos

This has been mentioned elsewhere but I can't find the thread to chime in with.

It isn't the fault of BN, but buying the nook and ebooks from a seller with "presence" in all the states sets up a big tax penalty.

I just noticed, ordering from Texas, the tax on my Nook was $21!!  Ouch.  It hurts worse knowing that Amazon would get away from charging any tax for the kindle.

Yes, I think that today the nook is a cooler device or I wouldn't have ordered one.  But between the tax problem and the higher cost of e books on BN vis a vis Amazon,  I don't know if I can stay with Nook for my own personal use.  I will shoulder the bills for my daughter's nook and she will have fun taking it into the store with her.  I would rather just shop online, so cost will mean more to me.