Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
nookster
0 Kudos

eBook Cover Images... a question.

Dear Admins,

Having pre-ordered a nook just in the nick of time, I have begun to assemble quite an eBook wishlist on bn.com. Some of the eBooks in my wish list do not have cover images on the the website and indicate "Image Not Available". Will the eBooks I purchase that have that message actually have their respective images on my nook, or will they just have a plain printed title? (The little splash of color was a huge deal-maker for me!)

Thanks in advance for your response.

Frequent Contributor
nookster
0 Kudos

Re: eBook Cover Images... a question.

[ Edited ]

So... 25 percent of the books in my eBook wish list on the website indicate "Image Not Available". Does that mean that the image will not be available on my nook? (These are eBooks that I will, of course, be paying for, some for more than $9.99.)

This really is just a bump for my post as I am anxiously awaiting a response... :smileywink:

New User
RoxieRavenclaw
0 Kudos

Hmmm...time to try a little experiment? :smileyhappy:

I suggest you first get the B&N ereader for the PC and/or iPhone/iPod touch. Then download the samples for these books (if they're available and not, say, for pre-order). See if the covers show up for the samples. If they do, then there's nothing to worry about, right? :smileyhappy: I mean...I'd think that if the covers for the books showed up fine in B&N's ebook reader app, then it'd show up fine on nook, too. If not, well...yeah, this is when it'd be nice to be able to manually go in and add a cover to the books.

Frequent Contributor
nookster
0 Kudos

Great suggestion... I'll give it a shot!

Contributor
JeffnerA
0 Kudos

I know Calibre allows you to add cover images to books manually. I'm not sure it would work on a B&N ebook, but if you already have one you could experiment with the software. Calibre also has a feature that will search for a cover image so you don't have to go looking for one.

Correspondent
guenevol
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I asked this question earlier, and there is no way to do "tagging" like you do in iTunes for the nook (see http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/nook-quot-tagging-quot/m-p/411909#U411909 ). Calibre stores cover images as a separate file, NOT as information within the eBook file, so changing the cover image in Calibre wouldn't work.

Frequent Contributor
nookster
0 Kudos

RoxieRavenclaw wrote:

Hmmm...time to try a little experiment? :smileyhappy:

I suggest you first get the B&N ereader for the PC and/or iPhone/iPod touch. Then download the samples for these books (if they're available and not, say, for pre-order). See if the covers show up for the samples. If they do, then there's nothing to worry about, right? :smileyhappy: I mean...I'd think that if the covers for the books showed up fine in B&N's ebook reader app, then it'd show up fine on nook, too. If not, well...yeah, this is when it'd be nice to be able to manually go in and add a cover to the books.

Reporting back... the experiment worked! I had the B&N eReader on my PC so I downloaded a sample of one of the books in my eBooks wishlist that didn't show a cover image. Low and behold, when I opened the eReader the image was there when I selected "All Books". Although, when I select "Online Library" the image is not... it's an image of what I would call an antique leather book cover without any lettering on it.

So to further assuage my concerns I went ahead and purchased the book with the same results as above.

Thanks, RoxieRavenclaw, for the suggestion. I'm sure that since the covers for the books showed up fine in B&N's eBook reader app, then they'll show up fine on nook, too. :smileywink:

-nookster

Correspondent
guenevol
0 Kudos

I've had books that do have a cover in my online library have a blank cover in the B&N ereader application. So this may not be true!

Frequent Contributor
nookster
0 Kudos

Well, since I bought a nook sight unseen, and since an admin type has not chimed in on this thread with a definitve answer, I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out when my nook arrives!

I am SO looking forward to it... I never thought I'd fall for this whole eBook thing. :smileysurprised: