Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

Re: nook: Fictionwise and ereader.com files

OK, I've put a few of my books from ereader.com on my nook.  The books themselves appear to be fine, but the titles are garbled on the "My Library" section.  I've shut down the nook and restarted, and also re-downloaded the files from ereader, but it's doing the same thing.  Anybody know of a fix for this?

Correspondent
guenevol
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MarkinStLouis wrote:

OK, I've put a few of my books from ereader.com on my nook.  The books themselves appear to be fine, but the titles are garbled on the "My Library" section.  I've shut down the nook and restarted, and also re-downloaded the files from ereader, but it's doing the same thing.  Anybody know of a fix for this?

I want to know this too! Some titles display fine, but others look like %#^$^#* (or something of the sort). I'd like to be able to distinguish between them at least...

This was with Fictionwise purchases, not ereader.com (if that makes a difference).

Reader 2
unwiredben
0 Kudos

None of my unprotected PDB files downloaded from Fictionwise or other sources will open on my Nook.  It prompts me for a first/last name and credit card number when it shouldn't need any of that.  I've purchased countless short stories and years of eReader-format subscriptions to Analog and Asimov's in this format, and I bought the nook with the assumption that I'd be able to read those on this device.  I'm very disappointed.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

unwiredben wrote:

None of my unprotected PDB files downloaded from Fictionwise or other sources will open on my Nook.  It prompts me for a first/last name and credit card number when it shouldn't need any of that.  I've purchased countless short stories and years of eReader-format subscriptions to Analog and Asimov's in this format, and I bought the nook with the assumption that I'd be able to read those on this device.  I'm very disappointed.

The fictionwise and ereader.com sites have both used the user name and credit card number for books for a long timelme, even for Free books.  This is for unlocking purposes, you are not being charged again.  On the older reader (and perhaps on NOOK) it remembers this and will then allow you to open other books without asking again.

Reader 2
unwiredben
0 Kudos

I was able to redownload my magazines in ePub format, and they work pretty well there, although I notice that there's not enough border between the line at the top of the screen and the text when I read the ePub files.

Fortunately, the other main source of unprotected eReader files that I've read, Cory Doctorow's site craphound.com, also has ePub format files for his books, so I'm set.

Frequent Contributor
siskiyousummit
0 Kudos

For the 8 titles from fictionwise and ereader that misbehaved on the nook (garbled titles or unknown author), my fix has been to strip the drm, then use Calibre to convert the books to epub format. Very tedious, but it works. Hopefully both companies will begin converting to epub format.

Jim

Contributor
lc11291
0 Kudos

What about mobipocket secure files from fictionwise? I've found some books that are much less there, but don't want to buy them if they won't work on my nook in some fashion.

Contributor
StBDawg
0 Kudos

I just wanted to let everyone know.  I got on Overdrive.com and went to my Public Library's website and was able to download an Adobe PDF Book to my computer.  Then I plugged in my Nook to my PC using the usb cable and opened Adobe Digital Editions program.  It immediately recognized my Nook and I was able to drag my borrowed book.  I went into My Documents and there it was.  It came up fine.  Title & Author correctly labeled.  I don't know if its that book but the spacing is kinda weird on the book but I can read it fine. 

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

siskiyousummit wrote:

For the 8 titles from fictionwise and ereader that misbehaved on the nook (garbled titles or unknown author), my fix has been to strip the drm, then use Calibre to convert the books to epub format. Very tedious, but it works. Hopefully both companies will begin converting to epub format.

Jim

Just out of curiosity, how might one learn to do this for themselves?

Contributor
aalayjah
0 Kudos

Reading ereader.com/fictionwise PDB ebooks on the Nook ::::::: JUST DO THIS: Download them to your computer, if they are not already there. Load up the Nook through your USB connection. From your computer, Drag & Drop your file(s) to your "MY DOCUMENTS" folder located in the Nook HD. DO NOT load your PDB ebooks in your "B&N LIBRARY" folder. They will not be recognized. Your PDB ebooks can now be read on your Nook. You will be asked for you name and fictionwise/ereader.com key code), which is your credit card number you used to purchase your ebooks with at ereader.com/fictionwise. If you used your full name, you will have to put your middle naame in the first name field, because the Nook has no field for your middle name to be entered for your PDB ebook to be recognized and formatted. I only had to do this once.After the first, all other uploads automatically formatted. I have not experience any distortion of the text, that others have reported. note: I did upgraded to the new Nook software/firmware version prior to uploading any of my PDB ebooks to the Nook.  Good luck!

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't have any problems getting my ereader.com books on my nook, and I can read them (at least the one's I've opened, anyway).  My problem lies in being able to read about half of the titles I own: they appear garbled.  It just makes it difficult to find the book I'm looking for.  If it's one of the books that fall into this category, I have to open them up one at a time to find the one I want.  Once it's opened, there's no problems until the next time I have to hunt it down.  After updating to the new firmware (1.1.0), I did dump all my sideloaded books and re-install them, but I had the exact same problems.

What I find odd about this is that I can use B&N's ereader programs with these books on my PC and BlackBerry with no such problems.

Oh, on a side note, I have yet to have to put in my name and credit card number for any of my ereader books, but that may be because my e-mail address and passwords are the same for my B&N and ereader.com accounts.

Contributor
aalayjah
0 Kudos

....  I did have some ereader titles post up on the Nook in "MY DOCUMENTS" with its purchase order number and no title, where other file titles did not. A mixed bag. Never sorted out the cause. What I did to handle this problem was renamed the file title on my computer, leaving the number digits just after the underscore in the original file title, just as some of the other files had (on the computer), when I downloaded them from my ereader.com library, to my computer. Then I uploaded the file again to the Nook, and the title was showing. Unfortunately, but I can live with it- the number after the underscore showed up with the title, where in other's I uploaded did not show this number with the title. Go figure! (?)... Not sure the number is all that important to maintain, since all my books are backed up on line. I am going to re-upload this particular file with title only, scan view some pages, and see if the quality of the file once uploaded is diminshed or garbled up in some manner, as a result of this number removed from file title on my computer.

On name and password...  I think your right, email and/or name associated with same password in both accounts probably are doing something to make things work smoothly for you. My ereader account didn't setup with an email and password association. It set up (long ago) with name and credit card association. Luckily the Nook has embedded this info in a way so that when I do upload more ereader files, I don't have to go through the process of "unlocking" the file(s) on each upload.

Reader 2
Rivernator
0 Kudos

dougom wrote:

dreamfields01 wrote:
[snip]

So Administrator if you are reading this, would please mention to the higher powers....Central Housing of Libraries of Fictionwise, Ereader and B&N. 

Absolutely; I couldn't agree more.  B&N folks:  it's assinine for B&N to have purchased Fictionwise, for B&N to use the eReader software as a basis for your non-Nook readers (for the iPhone and whatnot); for Fictionwise software to support B&N books; but to not allow previously purchased books from the Fictionwise or eReader site--or books created with the eReader book creation tool--that the B&N software can't recognize non-B&N PDB files.
It's the same format; it's almost exactly the same software; this is not a hard thing to do, B&N folks.  Don't punish the early adopters--make things *better* for us!

Totally agree; I've been a loyal eReader/palmReader fan and user for years and also have hundreds of eReader books.  It makes no sense that I can get things like over-the-air downloads of my eReader books on an iPhone, but not on Barnes and Noble's OWN DEVICE!!!

Frequent Contributor
MikFinkel
0 Kudos

Re: e-Reader.com & other sources

Hi carolina-girl. Have you checked out Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks, Fictionwise and eReader.com?

MikFinkel
New User
Symbol
0 Kudos

Being able to read my large library of pdb's was _the_ motivating factor for purchasing a Nook.  The garbled title/author information thing is really lame and BN needs to fix this asap. 

Contributor
caramellhoney
0 Kudos

I downloaded 5 books today from fictionwise. 1 of them I already had as a sample from B&N (dead until dark), and of course when i downloaded the books all of them showed up perfectly except for that one. I went back and deleted the sample then removed the  fictionwise book from my documents, restarted the nook and add the fictionwise book back to my documents but the title still shows up garbled it says something like 4h#X..I dont know what to do to fix it..all the other titles show up perfectly (except 2 have unknown and null authors)...I can see how this could be annoying if someone had a ton of fictionwise books with unreadeable titles!

New User
notcordelia
0 Kudos

I just got my nook two days ago and I'm having the same problem. I've got tons of ereader files from Fictionwise and while the books show up just fine, about a third of the titles are totally garbled. Would emailing B&N support do any good, you think?

TNS
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

notcordelia wrote:

I just got my nook two days ago and I'm having the same problem. I've got tons of ereader files from Fictionwise and while the books show up just fine, about a third of the titles are totally garbled. Would emailing B&N support do any good, you think?

They are aware of the bug, but it probably wouldn't hurt to send them an email to add weight to the importance of fixing the bug.  They may even have fixed it in the release rumored for this week, but we will not know until they say or someone actually gets the fix and reports on bugs they see fixed.

TNS
TNS
0 Kudos

Somewhat good news.  1.2 fix most titles, although some show up as the filename instead. Some authors are still garbled but not as many as before.

There is still the bug that some books ask for unlock codes (name and CC) but fail to unlock.  The ones I have that do this are older ones (from peanut press days) that have 202 byte headers and no DRM.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have some Peanut Press vintage books that did what you describe.  I went to the bookshelf page at eReader (formerly Peanut Press) and downloaded some of them again, now the titles display properly and don't prompt for the CC.