Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Phil_K
0 Kudos

nook Organization and Navigation

[ Edited ]

nook’s innovative touchscreen navigation allows you to quickly scan the covers of the eBooks stored on your nook. But it doesn’t end there. Using the touchscreen navigation, you can search for your eBooks by keyword, or sort them by title, author, and date added.

While you're reading, you can also search within the text for keywords, phrases, and chapter headings; you can also highlight, make annotations, and set bookmarks. nook syncs to your eBooks Library and other devices running the free B&N eReader software, so you can start reading on one device where you left off on another. Soon, nook will also sync your bookmarks, annotations, and highlights as well.

nook does not support user-created categories or organization schemes at this time.

Inspired Contributor
antgly
0 Kudos

Re: nook Organization and Navigation

That sucks. Kindle is doing that though soon. You better catch up. By the way, will there be a nook App Store?

Frequent Contributor
ElAleph
0 Kudos

antgly wrote:

That sucks. Kindle is doing that though soon. You better catch up. By the way, will there be a nook App Store?

First of all relax, Nook is not out yet, so it has no catching up to do.

And if by soon you mean middle of next year, which is when folders are scheduled for amazon, then Nook has plenty of time to "catch up".

As for an App Store? Lol, you suck bro.

Frequent Contributor
The_Nightguy

personal organization should ba a part of the Nook. Avid readers have many ways to organize their collections and allowing them to express that on the nook would be a value-added selling point.

"There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are drempt of in your philosophy."
Frequent Contributor
purple2381
0 Kudos

I know we can search our "library" on nook, but is there a way to search based on what's on nook vs what's on an sd card in nook?  I have older books that I want to keep on an sd card in my nook, but not necessarily want to have to search through every time.  Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
LaManchaDQ
0 Kudos

purple2381 wrote:

I know we can search our "library" on nook, but is there a way to search based on what's on nook vs what's on an sd card in nook?  I have older books that I want to keep on an sd card in my nook, but not necessarily want to have to search through every time.  Thanks!

Since B&N has touted from day 1 that we can add ebooks to both the nook and an microSD card, it would be ludicrous for the nook not to be able to search the whole library no matter where it's physically stored.

While I don't have an absolute answer for you.  This is one area I personally choose not to worry about as it seems so out of the realm of possibility.  I'm willing to wait an see.  If searching doesn't search everywhere I'll seriously think of returning the nook.

Frequent Contributor
purple2381
0 Kudos

I assume that it CAN search everywhere - that really wasn't the question.  The question is whether I will be able to choose to search ONLY my nook or ONLY my SD card?? 

Inspired Contributor
LaManchaDQ
0 Kudos

purple2381 wrote:

I assume that it CAN search everywhere - that really wasn't the question.  The question is whether I will be able to choose to search ONLY my nook or ONLY my SD card?? 

I see, Sorry I missed your point.  While it is only a guess, I anticipate that the nook focuses on the "what" rather than the "where."

I am intrigued, though.  Why is basing a search on where a book/document resides a priority over the item itself?

Reader 2
xanthus
0 Kudos

I am just guessing that the hope of searching either internal memory or the sd card independantly stems from a way to have a  crude way to "folder" your books.  It would allow a small way to seperate say fiction from non-fiction or work and play or read and unread.

Frequent Contributor
purple2381
0 Kudos

"folder" - Exactly!  Actually, since I've downloaded tons of free books, etc., I'd like to segregate them from actual purchased books - rather not have to scroll through all of them to find my purchases, etc.

Inspired Contributor
LaManchaDQ
0 Kudos

purple2381 wrote:

"folder" - Exactly!  Actually, since I've downloaded tons of free books, etc., I'd like to segregate them from actual purchased books - rather not have to scroll through all of them to find my purchases, etc.

purple2381and Xanthus bot have what every device designer needs to keep in mind- That users have unique ways to organize their storage and the device needs to support that uniqueness.

Sometimes you don't remember the author or tile but you remember where or when or how or that you you bought the "thing."  We all remember things differently - Support IT.

Correspondent
rhayes

Reference folders. Yeah, they'd be nice, and maybe they'll appear one day. But in the meantime, when I get too many books on my nook--I cannot imagine storing 1500 books or even a hundred on my nook--I'll simply archive the ones I won't reread or want to reference. As I understand it, that uploads them to my B&N Library. If I want them again, I can re-download them at no charge.

Contributor
drcjsnider
0 Kudos

I'm a bit confused - you can search the Nook by tags, but not user-created categories.  Does this mean the tags are already pre-determined and you just can select which ones apply to the book you have on the Nook or that you can composed your own tags for books?

I.e.  I'd like to tag my books by time-period, genre, read/unread, etc.

Frequent Contributor
The_Nightguy
0 Kudos

organization is important to bibliophiles! I have over a hundred and sixty books waiting to be loaded up. Not just for reading, but for reference and study as well as grabbing highlights to read as the mood strikes. what is needed is an iPod mentality for the E-reader...customizable to the user's taste and personality.
"There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are drempt of in your philosophy."
Frequent Contributor
Denker
0 Kudos

It is important to note that because nook will run on Android, all of this can be updated and changed in firmware updates. Not to worry.

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Not only do readers have different ways of searching / remembering, they also have vastly different content they might be reading.  I don't intend to use the Nook much for reading books.  I plan to use it to read downloaded news / discussion / research articles from online sources.  I expect to have hundreds of articles at any one time, and need an easy way to catalog them under categories, not unlike favorites in the browser.  I'm looking forward to delivery of my Nook "as is" in early December, but am looking nearly as much forward to some much needed improvements in organization and navigation.

Reader
dreamsmaker
0 Kudos

I would like to know if nook has a "read-to-me" feature? So I'll be able to continue reading/listening to my book while I do other stuff. Also, if future versions of the nook are program, are we going to be able to "update" the applications on a previous nook version? like the sync feature you are mentioning? a previous non-syncable version would be able to be upgrade to become sync-able? Thanks!

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W

Thanks for your inquiry dreamsmaker.  nook does not have a "read-to-me" feature.

nook system updates will show up through notices in "the daily" section on your nook.  There will also be links on our website for updates.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

If you look at the PC version you will see that creating your own bookshelves already exists.  Might or might not migrate to the Nook in time.

Reader 4
Flare576
0 Kudos

In all honesty, I feel it was improrper to shoot down antgly for his/her mentioning of an "App Store."  One of the primary drivers for the nook - at least in my eyes - is that it is based on the Android OS.  This means that it is extensible, and that features not existant on the launch product can be added in later.  Things such as a Web Browser, ties to external book stores, access to these very forums via a native application, are all possible if B&N chose to release the API, and if they do, people creating those applications may want to be reimbursed and therefore the idea of an "App Store" isn't out of the question.

This would probably be an ideal situation, to be honest:

"I bought a nook for an eReader, I don't need a browser, text-to-speach plugin, FLAC player, or any of that."  --Great!  You're set out-of-the-box!

"I bought the nook, but I'd really like to get on Wikipedia to find out more about this author!"

-- Hop onto the Android Market and grab a browser for $5.99 (or whatever), you're good to go.