Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
lordaliddle
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

nook: Text to Speech?

[ Edited ]

Does the nook have a text to speech feature like the kindle?

Frequent Contributor
JimM
0 Kudos

Re: nook

This question has been answered multiple times: the nook does not currently support text-to-speech.

New User
lordaliddle
0 Kudos

Thank you for replying. You sounded alittle abrupt sorry to ask the same question over and over again. I looked for the answer before I wrote to you and couldn't find the answer.

Frequent Contributor
JimM
0 Kudos

Sorry if I was abrupt -- I didn't intend it that way.  I hope I was able to help!

New User
lordaliddle
0 Kudos

Thanks for answering the question. It gives me something to think about. I like you product and hope I get it for christmas.

Frequent Contributor
JimM
0 Kudos

No problem, I'm glad to help.  But, I should clarify that I don't work for B&N: I'm just another customer like you (who's been reading up on all the details).

New User
ChrisCPA
0 Kudos

I knew there was a catch. You just lost me.

New User
joeytakasugi
0 Kudos

"I looked for the answer before I wrote to you and couldn't find the answer."

It's not your fault. An earlier version of the Nook/Kindle comparison chart showed the answer clearly. For "some" reason B&N chose to delete that entry from the current version.

http://gizmodo.com/5386017/barnes--noble-compares-nook-to-kindle-2-biased-but-fair

Frequent Contributor
StevenP
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When a company writes a comparison sheet it's not to show the features the competition has that they don't but what they have that the competition doesn't have.

The fact is there are cool features in the Kindle that the Nook does not support at this time, but, as someone pointed out in another thread, these are software issues and can be addressed later without the need for you to  purchase new hardware.  It would just be good to see a roadmap of the software updates B&N might plan to take to give us some comfort.

My guess is, even if the SDK were released a 3rd party could not implement this feature due to DRM and the potential to misuse that ability.

Correspondent
athenagwis
0 Kudos

Re: nook: Text to Speech?

It's too bad it's not there, but I rarely used this feature in the Kindle anyway and I am sure after all the rigamaroll Amazon got on this feature that publishers weren't willing to give it away to another company.  Not a deal breaker for me anyway.

Contributor
tpixie
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, the nook doesn't have text to speech. This is really a mistake, even if  the computerized voice isn't great. The nook is compatible with so many other formats, which makes it so much more user friendly than the Kindle 2.

1 in 5 people are dyslexic (and I don't know how many are blind).  Most dyslexics read along with an audio version, and having both combined would be awesome.

Many people commute to work. I have long dreamed of a book I could read at home, listen to in the car and then be able to read again where the audio left off.  The Kindle can do this and the nook can't.

If the nook had the combination of text to speech along with its compatibility to many  formats, it would be indisputably the best ereader available.

New User
joeytakasugi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"When a company writes a comparison sheet it's not to show the features the competition has that they don't but what they have that the competition doesn't have."

ha ha ha

oh, of course. what was I thinking? when you're doing a direct and fair comparison of your product and another product, you shoud always leave out the things that make your product look worse. especially if it's a fairly significant item.

ha ha ha ha ha

New User
BCTaitano
0 Kudos

T2S should be forthcomming very soon. It's inevitable.

>Android is a Linux distro. There are over one hundred T2S's out there for Linux ready to be ported to Android.

>Android is owned by Google. If there's a DRM problem, it will soon be overcome - Google has gotten very good at that.

>There are already hundreds or thousands of audiobooks at B&N that can be downloaded - more than Amazon anyway.

T2S is probably going to be on the next Nook or available as an update rather soon here. However, I'm with the rest here in asking "What's the hold up??"

New User
pat-t-cakes
0 Kudos

The text to speech is a deal breaker for me ... Although the Kindle speech is mediocre, it will do until Apple comes out with an ereader device that uses it's custom voice, "Mark" (which is very good).

tpixie wrote:

Unfortunately, the nook doesn't have text to speech. This is really a mistake, even if  the computerized voice isn't great. The nook is compatible with so many other formats, which makes it so much more user friendly than the Kindle 2.

1 in 5 people are dyslexic (and I don't know how many are blind).  Most dyslexics read along with an audio version, and having both combined would be awesome.

Many people commute to work. I have long dreamed of a book I could read at home, listen to in the car and then be able to read again where the audio left off.  The Kindle can do this and the nook can't.

If the nook had the combination of text to speech along with its compatibility to many  formats, it would be indisputably the best ereader available.

New User
Brent212
0 Kudos

Totally agree about holding out for text to speech. I don't have any knowledge of how B&N handles things like this, so there's no way to be sure they actually will release a software update that includes this feature.

Like someone else mentioned, being able to plug the thing into my car stereo for my daily commute is HUGE. I don't care how much better the Nook is than the competition in other regards, if the competition does text to speech it's the clear winner, IMO.

Reader 4
hitecgrandma
0 Kudos

The comparison I just read showed that the Kindle  has text to speech and that the Nook does not.

Sib
New User
Sib
0 Kudos

yes i really could use it on my commute too. it is 9-10 hours a day...

New User
pat-t-cakes
0 Kudos

Yes, the Kindle has Text-To-Speech but it is not very good. I am dyslexic and use the text-to-speech frequently on both the PC & the Apple. Apple computers have a speech module included in their system with the voice "Mark". It is a very good reading voice. I wish the Kindle and certainly the Barnes and Noble eBook would have a really good reading voice, even if you'd have to pay extra for it.

Today the Kindle has offered Kindle for PC. I want to see if it includes a text-to-speech feature and/or you can use a purchased speech program for the PC with the Kindle books. I am unable to use my speech program with Barnes & Noble eBooks for the PC.

New User
jrattner
0 Kudos

Firmware Upgrade: Would this bring the possibility of Text to Speech

Barnes & Noble,

Quesiton 1:  Will the firmware on this device be upgradeable?

Question 2:  Does nook have the physical hardware required for text to speech?

Question 3:  Would firmware upgrades potential lead to text to speech enablization?

-jrattner

New User
Missnoname78
0 Kudos

Wow that was very rude! I don't get to spend my days and nights going through these questions and answers so I appreciated seeing that someone else asked the question I had. Next time a simple yes or no would have been more than enough answer.