Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Kevin

nook: Wi-Fi access (and 3G)

[ Edited ]

There have been a lot of questions about Wi-Fi.

Here's the story: nook is programmed to automatically connect to the free AT&T Wi-Fi in any Barnes & Noble store.

When you're in the store with nook, you'll be able to read any eBook we stock, and we'll be able to send you special content and promotions.

You can also use nook on any 802.11b/g Wi-Fi access point. So, you can connect wirelessly at home, or whereever you have a preconfigured Wi-Fi connection.

EDIT: We see there are lingering questions about Wi-Fi ... So, for a point of clarity, you can connect on any 802.11b/g Wi-Fi hotspot, or wherever you have the SSID password. The exception to thie is Wi-Fi hotspots that use proxy settings (like you typically see in a hotel), where you have to enter a password or some other information before you can connect.

Regarding AT&T 3G coverage: You can connect for free anywhere on AT&T's 3G network.

Hope this helps.

New User
jimic
0 Kudos

Re: Wi-Fi access

hi,

when will we be able to connect to the at&t network--outside of the b&n stores?

thanks.

New User
Galisteo
0 Kudos

Will I be able to sync and upload PDFs and books from my PC to the nook via WiFi through my home network or will I have to connect via USB to communicate between the two?

Thanks,

G.

New User
MattCA
0 Kudos

I have Comcast cable. Can I dowload books to Nook?

Contributor
DarkUncle
0 Kudos

Re: nook: Wi-Fi access

It has been stated that there will be no web browsing of anykind as strange as that may seem on such a device. I mean honestly, if an iphone can do it surely a device such as the Nook with a nice big screen could.

But anyway, other than stepping into a BN store for their advertisements and whatnot, what exactly is the point of having built in WiFi when there is no internet connectivity anyway?

Regards

New User
avaNJ
0 Kudos

Can you load documents (pdfs, etc) wireless through WiFi network at home? If the wi-fi is only for buying books from B&N, I would be really turned off and I am sure many people will as well. Not to include a browser an an Android OS system is plain weird to me.

New User
dave421
0 Kudos

An Internet browser would be mostly pointless on something like the nook.  You're dealing with an e-ink screen which will not work well for internet browsing with 99% of sites using graphics & full color.  That's not what e-ink is made for.  Outside of wikipedia, I don't know what you would browse with it.

As for the android screen, that's the smaller 3.5" screen down below.  I'm sure that there will eventually be a hack or something to do it with but it's still basically browsing the internet on a tiny screen.  I might as well use my phone for that.

There are other e-readers that will be coming out later this year and early next year that will combine the e-reader with an internet tablet.  One of these has an e-ink screen sitting on top of a full color LCD so that you can have both.  One thing to consider, though, is that you'll be paying a LOT more than $259 for such a device.  I would imagine that we'll be lucky to get it for under $400 when they finally come out.  

New User
ed_mann
0 Kudos

I am very interested in this feature as well. Can i connect to the device via wifi to upload/download content to it? I have an order for a Sony reader, however if this device will allow me to use wifi to transfer files i will cancel my Sony order and order the Nook.

Contributor
DarkUncle
0 Kudos

With all due respect, I do not feel that it would be "pointless" to have web browsing capability. I really could give a hoot if the displayed webpage is in black and white or color. I do alot of web browsing and blog reading and reading up to the minute news reports on various news outlet websites. So what if it's not in color.

Sadly, this is a no buy for me because of this glaring flaw. If I'm spending $250 for just a simple book reader with that being it's only function, I would be willing to spend another $100 on one with internet capability. In my reading around the net regarding this device I would hazard a guess to say most people feel the same way. It would be the best thing since laptops to be honest.

Frequent Contributor
DavidGC
0 Kudos

The promo material clearly states:

The nook can connect to ANY wi-fi network.

The nook can connect ANYWHERE it can access AT&T's 3G network

This allows you to connect to B&N, browse and buy books, newspapers and any other content they provide.

If you happen to be in a B&N store, your nook will connect to the store's wi-fi network and allow you to read ANY book for free, while you are in the store.

DGC

New User
LeilaniLad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That's great DavidC, can you link us a post from an Admin on that?  Because, as it stands, there is not one place where it said, "You can connect to AT&T 3G anywhere".

Contributor
DarkUncle
0 Kudos

That is understood. What I'm saying is, besides the WiFi connection in a BN store, is there any other point in having the WiFi, say to connect on a home network? Because there is no web connectivity on this unit, it's usless from what I can tell. All books/mags/papers are downloaded from the AT&T 3G network. What do you need WiFi for?

Frequent Contributor
DavidGC
0 Kudos

This, from the nook "Features" on the B&N Web site:

Sample eBooks for free just about anywhere you are, on us.

Browse eBooks, magazines and newspapers on AT&T's 3G Wireless Network or on Wi-Fi.

This, from the "Tech Specs:"

Download books in seconds.

• Free wireless from Barnes & Noble via AT&T, the nation's fastest 3G network. *
  • Wi-Fi ( 802.11 b/g).
  • Free Wi-Fi in all Barnes & Noble stores.

*Available now in over 190 U.S. cities, AT&T 3G Wireless service provides accelerated data speeds and data capabilities for an amazing wireless data experience.

New User
LeilaniLad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There was a post earlier where someone said you could only connect for free in B&N stores and the admin responded with "we have never implied that"... but never said it wasn't true.

It would be nice to get a straight, clear, "Yes, you can connect to 3G for free from anywhere AT&T's network covers".  This is a really sticking point for a lot of my group of friends looking at buying the Nook.

EDIT: And yes David, I saw that.  But the fact that it says "Free wireless from Barnes and Noble" is still ambiguous, even with the asterixed item.

Frequent Contributor
DavidGC
0 Kudos

I think it's quite plain.

Wi-fi access and cellphone network connectivity are two, different things.

The free wi-fi in B&N stores is clearly a THIRD bullet point.

What would be the point of having a wireless/cell network device that you could only use in a brick and mortar store?  

I don't know how more "straight and clear" they can be than . . . 

"Available now in over 190 U.S. cities, AT&T 3G Wireless service provides accelerated data speeds and data capabilities for an amazing wireless data experience."

DCG

New User
LeilaniLad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Because it is saying "look how great AT&T's 3G network is!", not that the Kindle can access it.

And look at the Mylo.  It's a communications device you can only use when connected to wifi.

They HAVE stated you can use wifi anywhere you can connect to a network.

The HAVE NOT stated you can connect to 3G anywhere the network is available.

Look, I am sure that you are right.  But the way they are wording it isn't "plain".  Plain is:

"3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle; no annual contracts, no monthly fees, and no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots"

New User
LeilaniLad
0 Kudos

Can we get something from an admin just to put this issue to bed please?

New User
MacGyver
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

---Delete this post---

Contributor
DarkUncle
0 Kudos

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?cm_mmc=Blog-_-Unbound-_-nook%20microsite-_-nook%20suppor...

If you read the FAQ, you will see that there are no fees for the 3G wireless connectivity and you can connect anywhere you can get AT&T service just like a cell phone.

Contributor
mattMP
0 Kudos