Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
elisabetha
0 Kudos

nook and Libraries

I work at a school library. If we buy a few nooks, will we be allowed to check out them out to students and faculty?

And on another note, is there a limit on how many times we could lend a particular ebook to a student using lendMe technology? Or can we lend it an unlimited amount of times, just not all at the same time?

thanks

New User
SlyDog001
0 Kudos

Re: nook and Libraries

I also have similar questions regarding the lending function.  If I lend the book to a friend or family member and they don't finish the book within the 14-day period, are they simply out of luck and have to buy their own or can I lend the book to them for another 14 days?

Contributor
d_light
0 Kudos

According the the nook blog you can only lend the book to a particular device only 1 time. So I guess that means if you have a nook and a PC you can lend it once to the other nook and then again to the PC. Not sure about this.

New User
SlyDog001
0 Kudos

I saw that in the blogs also but it left me wondering if they meant one device at a time, but not once period.  This model would make sense since I can only loan a paper-based book to one friend at a time but I can loan it to as many friends as I want in the long run.  If I buy an ebook, I should be able to treat it much the same as I can a paper book (lending allowed but not copying).

Looking from something definitive from B&N regarding this prior to making a commitment to buy.

New User
brooklynd3175
0 Kudos

I've been waiting for the Sony Daily Reader to come out because you can use it with your neighborhood library. If I can do the same thing with the Nook, consider me sold!  Can anyone verify this?

New User
Peteo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is a BIG question for me too. I would like to get the nook for my parents. They would want to go to the library and take out Ebooks from there. Is this possible?

Can you use books from Clams? they are in the ePUB format

http://clamsnet.lib.overdrive.com/F3324EA6-532E-4B7D-BA26-D7E365F66FEF/10/470/en/Default.htm

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

elisabetha wrote:

I work at a school library. If we buy a few nooks, will we be allowed to check out them out to students and faculty?

And on another note, is there a limit on how many times we could lend a particular ebook to a student using lendMe technology? Or can we lend it an unlimited amount of times, just not all at the same time?

thanks

Sorry for the delay, all.

Yes, eBooks may only be loaned one time, for a maximum of 14 days. If you lend a book but the person doesn't "accept" it, you may lend it again. But the limit is one successful lend per eBook at this time.

Reader
AlanW
0 Kudos

It is always dangerous to ask two questions in one post.  Lending an ebook to a student does not apply if you own the Nook's, you are just lending the device itself.  So, the important question is the "is checkout allowed" one.

It is my understanding of eReader-style DRM that, for individuals, there is no limit to how many devices can use a single copy of an ebook.  What limits "sharing" is that the owners name is in the ebook (e.g. School Library - actually a good thing in your case) and a credit card name and number is needed to unlock the ebook.  There may be terms of service limits on libraries, but if not this may be perfect for your situation.  Buy all the ebooks (one copy only) with the same credit card and load them on all the Nooks.  Someone will have to add the credit card name and number on each Nook, but this is remembered after first use.  I don't think students and other users of the Nooks need to have access to the credit card number.

This is a significantly better approach that Adobe DRM (six devices per ID, one must be a PC - so one ebook shared across 5 devices), or MobiPocket (one ebook shared across 4 devices), or Amazon Kindle (one ebook shared across 6 devices, but library use is not allowed).

New User
elisabetha
0 Kudos

So, my main question then, is if a schol  library buys 10 nooks, can we check the device out to patrons? will this be allowed?

thanks

Contributor
Z3d07
0 Kudos

from what i understand your account is tied to a credit card.  if you plan on lending out nooks, you might want to know if the "buy" option can be locked.

New User
SlyDog001
0 Kudos

Being able to lend a book only once to an individual nook seems much too limiting to me.  I still struggle with understanding why you can't simply re-lend the ebook once its returned to the owner.  Libraries already do this with physical books and I can tell you now there will be instances where friends and family members are not able to finish the book within the 14 day window.  What am I supposed to tell them when the 14 days are over, "Sorry, you should have read faster?"  I think this need to seriously be looked at before hte nook goes mainstream if you truly want a Kindle killer.

On another note, I can also see folks maybe wanting to re-read a book at a much later date so this would also be a benefit of being able to lend books to an individual more than once.

My two cents...

New User
eliphalet
0 Kudos

The question people are asking is not about the "lending" function on the Nook, but whether or not Nooks can be lent by a library already preloaded with e-books that the library itself has purchased.  So, a library might purchase a selection of best-sellers, for instance, and check out the Nook to a library patron for  the standard loan period for that patron-type.  Naturally, the "purchase" feature would need to be locked out.  Amazon has been equivocal about this, sometimes saying that library lending of the device with items on it is contrary to their TOS, and apparently ignoring the issue at other times.  There are those who think that library-lending of Kindles is not in fact contrary to the Amazon TOS statement.

The point is this:  if B&N approaches this issue intelligently (libraries have statutory right to lend books they have purchased), the company stands to gain a great many friends in the library community, and a very large potential market as well.