Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

M9
Frequent Contributor
M9
0 Kudos

"The Daily"-- question

I have been able to download The Daily content onto my nook. However, once I disconnect my 3G, the content disappears. Is this supposed to happen?  How do I get the content to stay on my nook.  Also how long does nook retain that content?  I don't quite get how The Daily works yet.  thanks.

Contributor
Noblue
0 Kudos

Re: "The Daily"-- question

I have a question about your question...^^

Um...what do you mean by downloading "The Daily"?  Doesn't that blog thing or the Daily along with the other blogs within get updated automatically..and the one that seems to remain is the first one Your Nook by Dave Barry....which is a constant reminder of all that is wrong with the nook...

M9
Frequent Contributor
M9
0 Kudos

Hi. The Dave Barry article is gone. Has been gone for awhile. My Daily says 

WHAT'S NEW

No items. 

Sometimes things appear when I turn airplane mode off.  Sometimes the articles stay in The Daily.  But then they disappear. I have no idea how it works. That is why I am asking people what their experience is with it. I am surprised no one else has commented. The Daily is one of the major sections on the nook. Am I the only one that is confused and surprised by the disappearance of the articles?

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Dave Barry's "Your New Nook" stays, but "Grin and Tonic" and "Daybook" seem to change every day  or every other day. Right now, for Dec 19 it is Dicken's Sledge Hammer for the Daybook and HORPA for Grin and Tonic.

M9 wrote:

Hi. The Dave Barry article is gone. Has been gone for awhile. My Daily says 

WHAT'S NEW

No items. 

Sometimes things appear when I turn airplane mode off.  Sometimes the articles stay in The Daily.  But then they disappear. I have no idea how it works. That is why I am asking people what their experience is with it. I am surprised no one else has commented. The Daily is one of the major sections on the nook. Am I the only one that is confused and surprised by the disappearance of the articles?

New User
ReadingTub
0 Kudos

No, you're not the only one. It is driving me crazy that Dave Barry's articles stay, but some of the other Daily items disappear. I have read in other forums that there are articles from 12/27 ... they never showed up on my Nook. I want to be able to keep some for future reference and delete them. I wouldn't care if there is an archive on the Nook site ... but someplace we can see what we might have missed.

Correspondent
rhayes
0 Kudos

Perhaps I've misread some of the posts here, but if you want new content in your My Daily, airplane mode must be off; your nook needs to connect in order to receive it.Takes 30-seconds or so, depending on the strength of your signal.

I have something going on that I haven't heard yet. I get new content in My Daily every day or thereabouts, but I get Grin & Tonic and Daybook twice each. Am I the only one?

And I wish the Barry article would go away, but figure that it's sticking around until all of the initial orders are filled; otherwise folks receiving their nooks wouldn't see it. So they push it out to everyone--at least I assume they do because it bears a new date and time every time I check.

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Hi, all ... The content in The Daily changes daily. The Dave Barry piece stays, but the Grin & Tonic and the Daybook change daily. Right now, there is no way to save or archive that content.

The content in The Daily should update every day, early in the morning, or whenever you do the first sync of the day. If you leave your nook on sleep with airplane mode off, it should be there when you wake up.

Contributor
Ed57
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just in case anyone is interested....  I just turned on my Nook for the first time today, turned airplane mode off and went immediately to the Daily page.  I was able to watch the old articles disappear (save the Dave Barry thing) and see today's articles magically appear.  It seems to work as advertised!

Frequent Contributor
kt328
0 Kudos

I've had my nook 3 days now, I love it. I can't get a 3G signal but I have connected to my home network, it registered, updated to 1.1.1 and I have browsed the store and made purchases on it, so it all seems to be working except for the daily which is still showing the same content it downloaded on day 1 the 12/30. Is anyone having the same problem, or is there something I'm not doing (I have left it in airplane mode off so that the wifi stays connected)?

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

That makes sence to me. Its another good reason to check The Daily every day. The Daily is also one of the selling points of the nook for me.

Frequent Contributor
RedStateGuy
0 Kudos

I agree...wireless 'push' content was also a big selling point for me.  I live in an area where the "paperboy" is the Postal Service and the only current written content is gleaned by logging on to the Internet. And as almost anyone without maniacal discipline can attest, a quick 20 minutes to check e-mail and the news turns into three hours in the blink of an eye. Having something that is in an easy-to-digest format and ready to go when I'm ready is a huge advantage.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

RedStateGuy wrote:

I agree...wireless 'push' content was also a big selling point for me.  I live in an area where the "paperboy" is the Postal Service and the only current written content is gleaned by logging on to the Internet. And as almost anyone without maniacal discipline can attest, a quick 20 minutes to check e-mail and the news turns into three hours in the blink of an eye. Having something that is in an easy-to-digest format and ready to go when I'm ready is a huge advantage.

I guess that's why I'm still reading this forum at this hour!  :smileyvery-happy: