Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
karenTX
0 Kudos

swipe touchscreen to turn page?

I just got the nook for xmas - it says i should be able to turn the pages by swiping the touchscreen with my finger, but I cannot.  Anybody have this problem?

Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

Re: swipe touchscreen to turn page?

I did, but finally figured it out. It's something u gotta playaround w/. The way I got it to work on my nook was I start at the top right corner the lcd screen and swipe kind of diagonal down to the bottom of the screen. It doesn't take much pressure & you have to do it pretty quick. Works almost 100% of the time like that for me. Good luck!

Reader 4
kiddielit
0 Kudos

I've been trying to get it to swipe since they first came into the stores. I've seen it happen but was never able to get it to work with my fingers. oh well the buttons will have to do.

Frequent Contributor
Baturro
0 Kudos

That's a useful feature. Why did they make it so hard to use?

Contributor
sparkles61785
0 Kudos

It is actually a fairly simple task once you get the hang of it. I don't recall where I read this, but your finger has to be moving as it touches the screen, in order for it to work. It doesn't matter where you swipe, or how long of a swipe it is. Just remember that you don't touch/press and then swipe, but you swipe immediately as your finger connects with the screen. It works for me 100% of the time.

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

I start from the right hand side of the plastic and swipe to the left and it's 100% reliable, if I touch the screen first and swipe it's not 100% reliable.

Frequent Contributor
Baturro
0 Kudos

The screen has to be off in order for the swipe to work. That's why it wasn't working for me. Duh!!

New User
muralin
0 Kudos

does not work for me. yes, the screen is off.

Frequent Contributor
crazyakchick
0 Kudos

i got my nook for my birthday (a week before christmas) and i'd given up trying to turn pages with the touch screen - but this totally worked!  thanks! 

Frequent Contributor
Technowitch
0 Kudos

Aye... it is a little tricky to get it just right and at the right speed.  I think I read somewhere though that using this method can impact the battery life somewhat, because the touchscreen is a bit of a pig on power-draw.

Anyway, I found it less intrusive just to use the buttons...  and I love the fact they're duplicated on both sides of the Nook, so I'm free to switch hands for whatever's convenient at the moment.

Inspired Correspondent
PC_FL
0 Kudos

You can change the time in which the bottom screen turns off in the Settings area - when I just got it I changed the time on the bottom screen staying on to a longer setting, but that's when I was fiddling with it a lot.  Now that I just turn it on and read, I have reset it back to where the bottom screen turns off fairly quickly.  

I also have to say the page turn swipe is a "get used to it" sort of thing.  Like using a computer mouse - very hard to start out using it, but you get the hang of it once you've used it awhile.  I try to "brush" the bottom screen with my finger as opposed to swipe - as someone else said, have your finger moving from right to left as you make contact with the bottom screen.