Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

unopened nook for Sale

Once Barnes and Noble gets the nook straighted out I will be back, but until then:

My nook is available here for sale:  http://bit.ly/4Z8Hzt

I will ship overnight express to make sure whoever buys it gets it in time for Christmas

Frequent Contributor
sbrown23
0 Kudos

Re: unopened nook for Sale

And a third spam ... yes!  This must be a new record!

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

Not for the money he's asking.  Plain and simple highway robbery.  There is a buyer though, of that I'm sure.

Frequent Contributor
BillH
0 Kudos

Forum Rules

And I quote:

No solicitation. Please do not use these forums to submit or publish any marketing communication, or to advertise or solicit for any business or enterprise. Such postings will be removed, and will result in the suspension of your access to these services. Direct links to other commercial websites are, in the main, inappropriate for our Book Club conversations.

Inspired Contributor
nfbisme
0 Kudos

The thing is the warranty and extended warranty are probably no good for any ebay buyer.  Nooks come preregistered as I understand and are warranteed for the original purchaser.  Also, if it is preregistered it is tied to your account and presumably an ebay buyer can purchase ebooks on your account.  That is unless you open it and unregister it.  That is my understanding.

New User
doctorsnap
0 Kudos

I just ordered one...what is wrong with it?    Should I cancel the order and buy a Kindle...Please Help...it is a gift for an avid reader.

Inspired Contributor
PeaFour
0 Kudos

nfbisme wrote:

The thing is the warranty and extended warranty are probably no good for any ebay buyer.  Nooks come preregistered as I understand and are warranteed for the original purchaser.  Also, if it is preregistered it is tied to your account and presumably an ebay buyer can purchase ebooks on your account.  That is unless you open it and unregister it.  That is my understanding.

The warranty is transferrable, if the seller sends a letter to an address specified in the manual.  From turning mine on, the pre-registration wasn't very robust: I still had to input my bn.com username, password, CC, etc to get going.  I did not select to have mine sent unregistered at the time of purchase.

Inspired Correspondent
lilio

doctorsnap wrote:

I just ordered one...what is wrong with it?    Should I cancel the order and buy a Kindle...Please Help...it is a gift for an avid reader.

There is quite a bit of negativity on this board which fall into a few categories

• There has been little information from customer service about the causes for the delay allowing folks to fantasize all kinds of reasons for the delay
  • several posters have had problems, sometimes due software glitches in a new product - some call it gen 1- which are probably unavoidable.  As someone pointed out though, we are probably not hearing from the multitude who are not having any problems, just the ones that do.  Of the latter, some are due eto issues with the nook and some are due to failing to read the manual and follow directions.  As a techidiot myself, I sympathize with them, but I don't think that is a reason to dis nook
  • Some folks are experiencing delays and disappointment.  They fail to note that the initial date we were given was and "expected" ship date, not a certain one.  The interaction between lack of information feeds into the anxiety about when the nook will arrive, and people do want it for Christmas.

My own take is that I prefer to stay positive.  It may be late, but that is not the first time in my long life that I have had to wait for somethng.  Joeypores message was encouraging, but I will not live and die by it.

In the meantime, I think that BN wil stand behind any products that really do not work, I am willing to work through a learning curve on the device.  I am ordering a nook versus the otherdevices out there because it has certain advantages, like being able to change my own battery when that is needed in a few years, controls which I tried out at a local bn are easy to figure out, It accepts several formats, BN book pricing is changing in response to the market, and it has an expandable memory.  Besides, I just found out that it works with calibre, and very interesting program for cataloging books/library, and converting books from other sources to those formatted into nook.

Forgive the typos, my stove is beeping me!

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG

@lilio

Well said....

I have my nook five days and love it....

I had problems with a few books not loading from the B&N side (was stuck on the formatting message).   I sideloaded those and they work without any problems.  

The touch screen for turning pages works flawlessly for me, contrary to other postings I have seen.

And you are correct about Calibre -- it's a great program...

Inspired Contributor
nfbisme
0 Kudos

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, Barnes & Noble, Inc. (“B&N”) warrants to the original retail purchaser only (“you”) that your nook will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal consumer use for a period of one (1) year from the date of original retail purchase (the “Warranty Period”). This express warranty is not transferable to subsequent owners of the product. If your nook was originally purchased by someone else as a gift for you, as shown by a gift receipt, you will be considered the “original retail purchaser” of that nook.

New User
doctorsnap
0 Kudos

Thanks...I feel better about my purchase for my friend...he deserves the latest and greatest and would never think to leave the paper behind...so I am forcing him into technology.   he has unquestionable computer skills and I felt like he just needed to be presented with this...and christmas is a perfect opportunity.  I knew the ship date was after xmas when i ordered...no big deal..I got him a $100.00 gift card to open with a note about the nook.   Thanks for your input.  I appreciate it.

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting this spam. I'll make sure to be the winning bidder and not pay for it.

Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos

WooHoo just sold my nook for $530!!!!    Oh Baby!

Frequent Contributor
BenjaminSA
0 Kudos

Congrads!  I know some people were mad at you for doing it, I thought it was kinda funny and pretty smart!  

Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos

To be very honest with you - This really was not the direction I wanted to go.

I have written a fair amount about this in other posts here so I won't bore you with repeating myself, with the exception of this.

I know I upset a lot of people here on this forum and that was not my intent.    I feel terrible for all of the people that were betting on nook for Christmas presents, etc and unfortunately Barnes and Noble has put themselves in the middle of a very bad public relations circumstance.    We can speculate where the issues exist, and my guess is that is clearly exists with the hardware/software development partner.   My perception of Barnes and Noble is that not being a technology company, they just do not understand the requirements of a product launch like this nor does it appear the product really went thru an appropriate field test to work out many of the re-occurring theme of errors many are reporting.

While I have 2 unopened Kindle 2's behind me which will be wrapped for Christmas, I will be watching the saga of the nook, and perhaps in the future or when nook 2 makes it's way out I will be back to order one of them.

I am truly puzzled why there is such poor communication from normally such a stellar company such as Barnes and Noble.   Assuming executive management is watching this forum and peoples responses it must be a living he## for them.   In todays world of Social Media and 1:1 marketing, the approach (old school) they are taking here just does not work anymore.

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-)

Frequent Contributor
nook-ebooker
0 Kudos

Skeeter, glad you made some bank, although, hope its not one of those people that back out and you don't get your money... that happened to my cousing with the PS3.

I for one, have a NOOK and it is awesome.  I have had no troubles with mine since Dec. 8th when I got it.  Just wanted to get that one out there since everyone seems to think that all the Nooks are having issues.

I'm sorry you feel like you bought into a crappy product... but if you're deal goes through... you could buy yourself another nook or two.

Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos

@nook-ebooker

Thanks, and I have read some of your other posts and it's not that I think the nook is a crappy product as it is that there are some bugs that need to be worked out to make the product solid.   What pushed me to abandon nook (at least for now) really are 2 things:

1.  One was for Dad for Christmas.   He has never had an ebook, and if he ran into problems like others have been reporting I know it would end up being put in a box and never used.   He just would not want to spend the time reading posts here trying to figure it out.   You sound like the exception and I am thrilled you have had such a good experience with nook.

2.  My order for him was not going to get here in time for Christmas.  So with that in mind, I made the choice of getting rid of the one I had and for the time being at least standardize on the Kindles.  

Assuming the transaction goes fine, once things settle down, I will be back looking at the nook, at least for me.

Inspired Contributor
nfbisme
0 Kudos

The main reason I see for people not being happy with you is that u appear to have violated this board's policies by trying to build a sale here.

Also, there's still the question for your proposed buyer as to whether the warranty and return policy will be valid since you are the original purchaser.  And, if the nook is as flawed as you seem to think (I don't know because I am patiently waiting for Jan. ship date), you may get some very negative feedback from the buyer, if they do buy. It seems that this is really kind of unscrupulous for u to sell something for double the price, that you feel is flawed, rather than returning it.  .

Your dad may still throw the kindle in a box and not use it, because it too has some technological limitations and any product which is technological in nature must by virtue of its programming involve due patience.  Most users more accustomed to the pick it up and use it world tend to lose patience with gadgets.  Trust me, I am heavily involved in converting and editing video for web streaming.  Patience is no virtue it is self-defense

In any case, if your dad does like using his kindle (which I truly hope he does), he may balk at spending $80 to send it in when the battery dies.  I have an iPhone and am not looking forward to battery replacement day. 

Or, maybe he will love trying to decide what books to delete when he runs out of room on the internal memory.  It's all about why one chooses to purchase a certain item in the first place.  The nook can be "fixed", upgraded, revised, etc through firmware and has an open structure which will allow for future apps.  I know it won't be perfect, don't expect it to be, but still can't wait for the nook gifts to come.

Frequent Contributor
SkeeterHarris
0 Kudos

Thank you for your comments about my Dad, and yes I do hope he likes it, and it is too bad the nook at least right now is not living up to all of the hype.  

Myself being unscrupulous, well I certainly violated the boards policies - I'm sorry.   However, I certainly was capitalistic and opportunistic - Which I am proud of - I did not hold a gun to anyones head to buy my nook.    In fact, if I had just returned it, I would denied someone of fulfilling their dreams of getting a nook for Christmas..... almost anti-Grinch like!

With regard to warranty....It is fully transferrable so no issues there, and I don't accept returns.

Inspired Contributor
nfbisme
0 Kudos

SkeeterHarris wrote:

Myself being unscrupulous, well I certainly violated the boards policies - I'm sorry.   However, I certainly was capitalistic and opportunistic - Which I am proud of - I did not hold a gun to anyones head to buy my nook.    In fact, if I had just returned it, I would denied someone of fulfilling their dreams of getting a nook for Christmas..... almost anti-Grinch like!

With regard to warranty....It is fully transferrable so no issues there, and I don't accept returns.

When I say unscrupulous I am referring to several postings you have made in regard to the great flaws you see in the nook.  Also, as far as the warranty it specifically states it is non-transferable and only applies to the original purchaser.  I get the impression that you do tend to buy a lot of first run products to sell on ebay and of course that is your right.  Do you go onto their boards and trash them, too? 

It just really stinks to come on these boards where people are anxious to get nooks for Christmas that they may be getting or giving, seeing the consternation over the delays and then flaunt it that you got one that you are now selling for double the price.  None of that has been charitable or kind, not your advertising nor the whoop whoop I sold it for $530 posting which was absolutely unnecessary.  I don't mean to sound mean, but that is Grinch-like.  The person that bought it hopefully will be happy, but if it is such a terrible item I don't know how u could sell it.  And, you don't accept returns so the person that got it doesn't even have the fallback position of returning it if it is defective as you presume.  An option that you had.

This to my understanding is a forum for people to hash out nook issues-nooks that they are waiting for, that they've gotten and that have problems, and the like.

Important Links

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:60 members 469 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: