Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
visigoth
0 Kudos

usb connection failing on windows 7

i just got my nook.  i charged it to 100% and then connected it to my windows 7 PC.  the driver finder says drivers are being installed, and then quickly says the driver was not installed.  when i click for more information, it only says that installation failed.  does anyone know what's going on?  how does the nook show up if driver installation is successful?  does it appear as a storage drive?

New User
PacificSky
0 Kudos

Re: usb connection failing on windows 7

I plugged in my Nook to my Windows 7 x64 computer and it hooked up just fine. It shows up in My Computer as a "Device with Removable Storage" and is assigned a drive letter (just like a SD card in a card reader would be).

Was your Windows 7 computer connected to the internet when you attached the Nook? Perhaps the failure had something to with inability to download the necessary drivers?

-PacSky

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

It will appear as a storage drive named nook if it suceeded.  However, windows 7 no longer does

anything by default when drives are plugged in, so you will have to click on Windows Explorer and look

for it by name undet Computer, in the list of drives.

It appears to only require USB 1.1, but you might try it on a different port.

Is this Windows 7 32bit or 64 bit?

I had not previously tried plugging in to windows, but just now did and it came up

perfectly.

Also worked perfectly on Linux.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Windows 7 does not need to download drivers for the Nook. 

They are standard Microsoft USB drivers.

Inspired Contributor
PeaFour
0 Kudos

visigoth wrote:

i just got my nook.  i charged it to 100% and then connected it to my windows 7 PC.  the driver finder says drivers are being installed, and then quickly says the driver was not installed.  when i click for more information, it only says that installation failed.  does anyone know what's going on?  how does the nook show up if driver installation is successful?  does it appear as a storage drive?

One thing i've noticed about 7, which I absolutely hate, is if you have the "security" annoyer turned all the way down, sometimes installations etc will just hang in the middle.  If you've got your setting all the way down (the one where it dims the background and pops up the "Are you sure you want to do this?" dialogue), try putting it back to the default, and reattaching your nook to your PC.  That's solved my problems for a couple different installs.
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

"One thing i've noticed about 7, which I absolutely hate, is if you have the "security" annoyer turned all the way down, sometimes installations etc will just hang in the middle."

Exactly.

Because Windows won't let you install anything that tries to connect to the net without your OK, but you have decided you are not going to let windows talk to you.

Put that security slider in the default position.  Its way less annoying than Vista was, and you have fewer problems with this sort of thing.  In short, don't apply Vista tactics to Windows 7.

Inspired Contributor
PeaFour
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

"One thing i've noticed about 7, which I absolutely hate, is if you have the "security" annoyer turned all the way down, sometimes installations etc will just hang in the middle."

Exactly.

Because Windows won't let you install anything that tries to connect to the net without your OK, but you have decided you are not going to let windows talk to you.

Put that security slider in the default position.  Its way less annoying than Vista was, and you have fewer problems with this sort of thing.  In short, don't apply Vista tactics to Windows 7.

This is a whole different discussion, but if I'm comfortable enough to disable an announcement/permissioning that I'm about to make a change to my system, 7 should respect that and not blindly block stuff.  Vista didn't have that issue, when the annoyer was off it was off.  Disabling the annoyer didn't affect installs, in my experience, incompatibility mostly did.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Talk to microsoft.  There is no point on clogging these boards.

For the record, I had no problem at all in this area on Windows & Ultimate.  Works first time every time. Works on Linux too.