11-30-2006 02:44 PM - edited 11-30-2006 02:44 PM
The Romance Writing Book Club was led by Gotham's Leigh Michaels, and was based on her excellent book, Creating Romantic Characters.
The topics covered in this discussion:
- What Is Romance?
- Heroines and Their Heroes
- Secondary Characters
- Creating and Resolving Conflict
- Point of View
- Plotting Basics: Part I
- Plotting Basics: Part II
- Punctuation (with Guest Jenny Haddon)
- Writing Love Scenes (with Guest Rachelle Chase)
This book club ended in May, 2007, but feel free to continue to learn from the discussion, and enjoy writing romance!
Message Edited by Jessica on 05-24-2007 01:22 PM
03-20-2007 11:16 AM
Please don't be put off by the size and breadth of the discussion. You are welcome. We want you!
You can jump in anywhere and work in any section of the board. If you'd like to take a systematic approach I suggest doing the topics in this order:
1. What Romance Is -- an introduction to romance novels.
2. Heroines and their Heroes -- getting to know your main characters.
3. Secondary Characters -- adding others to your story.
4. Conflict -- adding problems for your characters.
5. POV -- handling point of view in telling your story.
6. Dialogue -- letting your characters have a say.
We'll be adding other threads as time goes on.
Though one topic at a time is at the top of the board, I read everything that's posted, and a lot of other participants are doing the same thing, so your posts will be seen no matter where you're working.
Again, welcome! If you've joined the party late, grab a virtual drink and a handful of goodies, ignore the noise made by all the people who've been here a while and introduce yourself. We're happy to have you.