Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
AshleyGoldsmith
0 Kudos

Ashley from Alabama

Hello! My name is Ashley Goldsmith, and I currently reside in Alabama. I have taken the class in its previous format three times and am looking forward to this new format. My academic background is in English. I am currently working on my MA in English. I work as a technical writer, but my love is fiction. I've seen a few familiar names and look forward to meeting new people!
Frequent Contributor
ISHON
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

HI EVERYONE,
I'M ISHON AND I HAVE BEEN READING ROMANCE FOR YEARS AND I'D LIKE TO TRY MY HAND AT WRITING. HOPE I CAN PICK UP SOME TIP FROM YOU ALL.
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

Re: Ishon: Introduce Yourself

Welcome, Ishon -- It's good to have you here, and I'm sure you'll pick up a lot of helpful tips.

One suggestion: When everything's in capital letters, it's harder to read -- and you're less likely to get feedback. Also, on message boards typing in all caps is rather like shouting. So using normal typing, like this message, is more likely to win you friends than when you use all caps.

Glad to have you --

Leigh
Frequent Contributor
Vicky
0 Kudos

Like Angeltina I thrive on the writing process, all of it. My mother told me I enthralled the neighborhood children with my storytelling abilities pre-school. Once I learned to write, I set the stories down on paper.

In 1980 I had an historical romance novel accepted for publication with an advance and a contract underway when the deal collapsed. The market had softened too much and new authors were risky. Meanwhile, I was buoyed by personal notes on returning partials from editors wanting to see my future work. Several texts I read said that meant a prospective author was on their way to eventually becoming published. I had even entered my second completed manuscript, a western novel, in a movie contest. Then I got sick and blocked.

I always meant to get back to writing over the years and tried a little here and there, but never again submitted my work. My husband's encouragement by buying me a desk and a computer and helping me put together my office over the years is what has me back today. I'm extremely grateful to him, because I love the self-expression of creating fiction. Even if I do it badly or never get a chance at publication again.

One thing is certain I want to relearn the skills I lost and try for publication again. This time I'll approach it professionally. Publication is a business. I have to provide them with a salable story. I have to keep trying till I do.

I know I can learn so much from you. I am really excited about this class.

Vicky
Frequent Contributor
ISHON
0 Kudos

Re: Ishon: Introduce Yourself

Thanks for the welcome and for reminding me so not type in capitals Leigh.
Question, how many pages should a chapter be?
And can we post chapters on here for critque?
Will it be property of B&N ?
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

Re: Ishon: chapter lengths, etc.

Hi, Ishon -- Usually a chapter in category romance is about 5,000 words. (In other sorts of books there are more variations.) That's about 20 double-spaced pages, so it would be a pretty long chunk to post here, and it would be a lot for others to read and comment on -- so I suggest keeping things shorter.

A good target to post here is 1,000 words or less. That will help keep the board from clogging up, and your fellow readers will me more likely to comment.

The Barnes & Noble guidelines are very specific that the writer owns the copyright on posted work. That means that whatever you post here is still entirely yours, and no one is allowed to copy or use it -- including BN. The guidelines are posted on the board -- maybe in the "how this board works" section, though I don't remember for sure.

Happy writing,
Leigh
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

Re: Vicky

Welcome, Vicky. What a disappointment it must have been to get so close to publication and then have the deal fall through! -- Hard to remain motivated after a blow like that.

The pundits are right about encouragement from editors meaning that you're getting closer -- editors are very busy and don't go looking for work, so when they say they'd like to see more of your stories, they really mean it.

I'm glad you're back to writing, and that you have the support of your husband. This is going to be a terrific group!

Happy writing,
Leigh
Contributor
Mystik_Rose
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Sam. I live in Northeastern Ohio. I'm an avid reader, and have amassed a pretty big collection over the years, though recently I've been more interested in Romance. It started when I was 13-14 and got handed a heady romance novel by one of my friends. She knew that I read a lot, and had just finished that book, which was Moonspun Magic by Catherine Coulter. One of my favorite romance novels to this day...I wish I still had a copy, but some overzealous friends who thought I shouldn't be reading things like that at my age stole it from me and threw it over a bridge. No joke! I was outraged, not only at the loss of my favorite book, but also at the very thought of ruining a book like that. Most of my income, that doesn't go to bills, goes to books. I've been working on one novel for 3 years. A long time, I know, but I get distracted by other ideas, my social life, or I just get writer's block. I'm very excited to be apart of this group, and actually get some feedback on my writing. I haven't let a single person read anything I've written - too self concious...but here I hope to get over that.
"Everything in the world exists in order to end up as a book." Stephan Mallarme
Contributor
Gail
0 Kudos

My name is Gail and I live in the mid-Michigan area. I have taken on-line classes for several years, have written essays and am working on a memoir regarding my dad and myself. I started writing short stories last year, but just started a romance novel a couple of weeks ago. I am very excited to have found this book club and already have learned much just from reviewing this site. I look forward to interacting with the group and, hopefully, having my own romance novel published someday.

Gail
Contributor
Juleeg
0 Kudos

Hello All!
I am looking forward to meeting, and sharing with everyone. This is my first online book club (or any club for that matter). I'm not wrapped up in the computer world as much as some.

My passion lies with historical fiction/romance. I have written some self-serving short stories, and have yet to stick my head out of my shell.

Any help, criticism is more than appreciated.

"I must have ye now
"I must have ye now, or die!" Jamie Fraser
- The Fiery Cross, Diana Gabaldon

Juleeg
New User
fallen_angel
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm 15 years old, and writing is my passion. One day I hope to be a famous writer. I like many genres, but romance is my favorite genre to read. I have written many short stories and thought that I should move on to learning how to write a book. I have always been mature for my age and I have often been told that I have an old soul. I do not wish to be judged based on my age and would like for everyone to tell the truth when reading the pieces that I submit. I am very excited about this book club and cant wait for all the constructive criticism! My favorite authors are Jane Feather and Laurell K. Hamilton, even though I wouldn't really call that a romance, more of an erotic dark fantasy, but it is still very sensual, in a way similar to that of other romance writers.

"Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them."
~ Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

Hi -- Welcome! I'm glad you're here.

I'm particularly intrigued because I wrote my own first book at about your age. It wasn't successful, and I burned it -- but it was very important nonetheless because after that I never again doubted that I *could* write a book. It was just a matter of getting enough better to get published.

I'm glad that at age 15 you already know what you want to do; having your goal in mind is very important. If it's not presumptious, however, I would like to give you a couple of pieces of advice.

First, have another career path in mind, along with writing. Writing and publishing is an uncertain business, so it's wise to have another job that you enjoy to fill in the gaps -- at least while you're getting started.

Second, learn all you can, in every different area you can find. Take every class you can fit into your high school and college years, because *everything* is relevant to a writer's life, and you won't know which things you need until after you've studied them.

Taking literature's a no-brainer, but psychology and sociology are even more important to the writer's mind. Hate math? Take it anyway. Languages? Linguistics? Art? Theater? Music appreciation? Biology? Political science? Religion? Doesn't matter; even if you don't use the subject directly, you'll use the thinking/reasoning/logic/vocabulary you learn there in your later work.

Happy writing,
Leigh
Contributor
beccajean22
0 Kudos

Hello all!

My name is Rebecca Ptterson and I live in Daytona Beach, Florida. I have three small children ages 6, 4, and 2. I love reading romance novels and writing so I thought I should try them together. My favorite genre is historical. My favorite author is Kat Martin but I love many others. It is a real pleasure to be able to work with Leigh Micheals. Thank you all for allowing me to be a part of the book club.
New User
PhilJane
0 Kudos

Hi
I'm a writer of romance ebooks and print. I write contemporary but have a lot of cowboys and ranchers in mine. I write a variety of characters and love the family element.
I love to create sexual tension, and make the readers beg for more. I love romance because it is the most beautiful thing God created. True romance.
Rita Hestand
http://ritahestand.com
http://readerseden.com
Author of:
Heart of the Wild, NIck's Baby, Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Wandering Heart, Strictly Business, Courting Abby, Hannah's Man
Contributor
Rakaider
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi! *waves* I'm Ryan, I'm 17, and I live in NY. Around this time, two years ago, I picked up my first romance novel (Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter). Since then, I grew onto romance novels and the authors themselves.

I'm a senior in H.S., and I'm writing my first novel. I've been writing it since Sept 2006. Actually, I'm on a quick break and just looking for some tips! :smileyvery-happy:

Hope I'll find some help here.

Message Edited by Rakaider on 05-15-200709:19 PM

New User
Noelle1489
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Noelle. I'm 25 and I live in Northern California. I have been reading romance for nearly 15 years and I have always loved the genre.

My favorite romance authors: Judith McNaught, Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, Lisa Kleypas, Suzanne Enoch and Julie Garwood. I will read just about anything they publish.

For years I have been writing short stories (okay, the *beginnings* to short stories...), but just a few months ago I started my first novel. I have decided to try my hand at historical romance (more specifically, Regency era) and I am currently at about 40,000 words. (60,000 to go!)

My goal is to have the manuscript completed in time to submit it to Romance Writer's of America for the Golden Heart Awards. So...sometime before November. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so we'll see how that goal goes :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
HoplessRomantic
0 Kudos

Hi I am Aspen
I am a student. This will be my junior year in college.
I have always loved reading. There is just something magical about it. My absolute favorite book is PRIDE & PREJUDICE.
I have written some stuff and think I may have a talent for it. That is if I ever become serious about it. :smileyhappy: What I truly love to do is read others work and see if a fresh pair of eyes would help. I have read many of your posts and must say there is alot of talent here.
My strength is content (Plot, characters), my weakness is grammatics.
I also direct plays so I am good at visualizing a scene.
Anyway, I look forward to meeting all of you.
Love,
Aspen
â It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.â Said by Mrs. Bennet in Jane Austens Pride and Prejudice
New User
Roxie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Ok well I am not sure If I already introduced myself as I haven't been on the board for over 1 year.  So here goes.  My name is Roxanne I am unpublished Canadian writer.  I have series of educational draw-along series for kids 3-9 years old ready for publication and I am sending out querry letters left and right for them.  These books were written for my 3 kids but now I want to expand my skills and dive in the world of romance.  I am hoping this will be a great place to share ideas and gain knowledge.

Message Edited by Roxie on 05-15-2008 08:11 PM
Contributor
Carole_Roemer
0 Kudos

Hello Leigh:

My name is Carole,  I have been dabbling in writing for oh 18 years.  It started as a joke and then went to something serious.  BUt I will say I do not have the courage to submit anything.  I do not like the way I write.  Seems I drag out what I wanna say, when I could use less words.  The one that most of my family and husband likes is titled "Triangles of Love."  it's a modern day so called romance.  But I got hung up with the ending.  Didn't know how to get there.  Worse part I find is I need to be in the mood.  PLUs I am lousy at grammar.  LOL. ( as you can see plus punctuation).   I need serious encouragement.  I had met a British author in 1998 on line in a book chat room.  For the life of me I can not recall her pen name but her first name was Belinda.  She had a novel coming out at the time.  Does it ring a bell?  Well you take care and have a wonderful day.

Warmest Regards to all.

Carole
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 243 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: