Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Introduce yourself to the group! Have you tried writing this genre before? What do you like about it? If you haven't tried writing romance before, let us know why you're interested in the genre? What are some of your favorite romance novels and authors? Do you have a favorite sub-genre?

New User
fairystepmother
0 Kudos

Hello! I'm CJ

Hello! My name is CJ, and I am a stay at home mom to a total of five children (four are stepchildren that live with my DH and I, the other is our new baby girl of 8 months). I have written off and on over the years, but I have never submitted anything for publishing. I have a degree in English Lit, and I've used my degree off and on over the years including editing for a small publishing house (mainly self-help and motivational titles). I enjoy romance, especially Jenny Crusie - she's the one that pretty much got me interested in the academic aspect of romance literature. My favorite sub-genre would be romantic comedy, followed closely by romantic suspense. At this point, I would like to concentrate more on my writing and pursue it more seriously.

My favorite romance novels and authors are Jenny Crusie (favorites are Anyone But You and The Cinderella Deal)... Susan Elizabeth Phillips (her whole football line)... Catherine Coulter (the FBI Dillon/Savitch series)... and the Kathy Reichs series (even though these are mainly mystery, there's the subplot of the Brennan/Ryan love story).

CJ
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

ziki

Hello,
I am one of the regular participants on BN clubs. I like books and this online community that B&N creates. I have been in Leigh's previous writing class on BNU in the summer of 2004 and after that a recurrent lurker in her following classes. I am therefore happy to see that the same field is open for discussion even after BN recently changed the format.

Romance as a genre is not my preference in reading but I enjoy 'love stories'in fiction. They often enliven the plot because generaly we all crave loving relationships, even if not necessarily romantic relationships. When I think of Leigh I think of James Bond. Once Roger Moore was asked who agent 007 was. He replied, "It's the guy who pays my rent".
So consider the gang that pays Leigh's rent! I'd also like to have some fictional characters that would do the same job for me, LOL. That's the reason I am here. Another reason is that I appreciate Leigh's online personality and her contributions and I think it is fun to chat with others who have similar interests to mine.

Also the more I learn about writing the more fun reading becomes. That is why I'd like to hang around here and see what I can learn from it.

Greetings to all
ziki
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Hi Leigh

My name is Bonnie, and I am more of a reader than a writer. I use to write though, and miss the creative aspect of it. I love making up stories and people in my head, and thought it would be a good growth goal for myself to take up writing again- for fun, for me. I am especially interested in the idea of creating characters I would love to know myself.
Reader
Krysara
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Good Evening,
My name is Krysara and I'm sure that this discussion will help to improve my writing immensely. I've written poetry and short stories mainly, although I'm currently working on a longer project. I work 2 jobs as well, so my time is rarely my own. But I love to write and read, so I'm very excited about this group. I enjoy the challenge of getting the worlds I can see in my imagination down on paper so that anyone can enjoy them. Hopefully the reader will find the journey worth the trip.

I love to read all kinds of fiction but can't get enough "happy ever afters". I've never written romance, but I'm looking to stretch my writing and myself.
"Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever."
Frequent Contributor
jen-uh-lyn
0 Kudos

LeighMichaels wrote:

Introduce yourself to the group! Have you tried writing this genre before? What do you like about it? If you haven't tried writing romance before, let us know why you're interested in the genre? What are some of your favorite romance novels and authors? Do you have a favorite sub-genre?

Hey, I'm Jenna. I'm 20 years old and a junior in college where I'm currently pursuing my BA in English to teach. I'm really big into the romance genre becuase, frankly, I love love. I enjoy how stories are able to warm my heart and wish that I am able to find that special someone like in the books. (And I know there's always a happy ending!)

I have been writing romance, to an extent, for a few years now. I started writing Harry Potter fanfiction in the 11th grade, so I think that makes it about 4 years now. I love being able to create my own plots that have characters fall in love, and I truly think that's why I've wanted to write romance for a while. But my characters, the ones I create, are flat. I get stuck with things in their personality. Maybe why I'm here.

Harlequin and Shilouette are amazing companys to put SO MANY books out on market. I especially love the American Romance and Special Edition books becuase they deal with family and situtations dealing with families. However, if I pick a genre that I enjoy reading is paranormal and fantasy. Heather Graham writes a mean book. Her Harrison Investigation series (as I've dubbed it...deals with ghosts and a common factor is the company Harrison Investigations...hints the name I gave it). I also love the Laurell K. Hamilton books, my favorite series is the Merry Gentry series. I also like to read about Vampires; the Lyndsay Sands books are quite the read, and I know there are many more that I haven't been able to get my hands on.

And cowboys... I will read ANYTHING with cowboys in it. I have a think of the country, rugged, handsome, rancher/farmer types. Oh yeah, I think MORE than tractors are sexy!!! :smileywink:

Books that have humor in them are things I like to read as well. The Tina Leonard Cowboys By The Dozen Series had an element of humor in them that made me want to be written in to marry one of them! And the Janet Evanovich books are amazing. The Stephanie Plum are hilarious. But I've found myself stuck on her Barnaby series.

Anyways, I am currently trying to write a book, hopefully leading to a series, about a NASCAR team. I'm an avid watcher and reader of anything NASCAR (the NASCAR Library romances are due out in Feburary...I think..however, Pamela Britton has a few out that are amazing!!!) and I think that's why I've chosen that topic. Everything is going ok, except I get stuck, and my characters are a little flat, oh and that I need some information on how a racecar actually runs, but so far the sixteen pages are quite boring. My friend April (who likes NASCAR as much as me) thinks differently, but I don't know. Does anyone else think their writing is bad? (Maybe I've just no esteem for my writing).

OK this is getting long. I shall go now...

Jenna

---------
"It doesn't do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."
New User
CarlaSuzanne
0 Kudos

Hello, I am glad to have the opportunity to study with Leigh Michaels. I took some of her classes on the previous class platform and I value her teaching style. I have completed and published 1 novel and the second is complete but I am struggling with the decision to self publish, go POD or if I am willing to spend two years searching for a publisher and going through their amazingly long process to print.

January seems an excellent time to start a new novel and this discussion group a great enhancement to my time on line.

Looking forward to getting to know the group.

Carla
New User
Danetta
0 Kudos

My name is Danetta. I have tried writing fiction in the past, both historical romance and sci-fi, but after starting about 5 projects I became ill and was not able to write for several years. Feeling fine now, I would like a jump-start back into my projects.
Frequent Contributor
magicalbookworm
0 Kudos

Hello I'm Cindy.

Just got an email about this class and decided that I should learn a little about romance to be put to other novels I write. I haven't writen a straight romance before, I tend to lean toward fantasy and urban fantasy. But I have been branching out lately, with science fiction, mystery and historical fiction etc. It's been fun trying my had at other genres, so maybe its time to try my hand at a romance! Hope to learn some great tips here!
New User
monicaspence
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone-
I'm on the Historicals list, so if the following seems familiar, don't worry.

My name is Monica and I am a book addict. :-)

I am working toward an MA in Writing Popular Fiction at Seton Hill University. My first love is Historical fiction, my second is romance-- and the third? BOOKS. Just about any kind. Fiction, non-fiction, whatever.

I am writing a historical novel for my MA thesis about the Medici family. I am alnost done-- 2 1/2 chapters to go.

I am hoping that I will get some good ideas and some help from all of you out there-- and maybe I can do the same for you!

I look forward to chatting with you.

Have a great New Year!
Monica
Contributor
Storeetllr
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Mary from Southern California

I was in Leigh's last two classes on B&N University and was bitterly disappointed when it seemed she would be offering no more romance writing classes through B&N, so imagine my pleasure when I heard from a critiquing buddy that this was available!

I've been an avid reader since before I could read (Little Golden Books and Wonder Books had wonderful drawings) and have been reading romance since the early '70s. Somewhere along the line, I got the bright idea to write one. Well, I soon found out that it was a lot more difficult than it looked. Since then, I've taken writing classes at the community college, in addition to academic classes, and have been reading "how-to" books on writing. I still haven't finished the first draft of the first romance I started long ago, but that isn't stopping me from trying again (and again and again) to fulfill my dream of writing romance novels.

I am very much looking forward to participating in the discussion/submission/critiquing/class. It sounds like a winning format.

Thanks in advance, Leigh!

Mary w/a Storeetllr
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (Louisa May Alcott)
Frequent Contributor
cariann92
0 Kudos

Re: Hi, I'm Mary from Southern California

Hi Mary and everyone,
It is so good to have this to look forward to everyday.

I am Cariann, a retired teacher who has been subbing for a teacher for the past month, the sub job will continue for at least another month. I find it hard to write when I am so exhausted from teaching all day.

But my daughter gave me an Alphasmart for Christmas. I can put it on my lap away from the computer with the solitaire and the jigsaw puzzles. I have filled up a file already, doesn't take much to do that though.

I can take it to school and write during my plan periods, two of them. Great school. Mary gave me the impetus to ask my daughter for one, thanks.

Happy New Year to all of you.

Cariann
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I'm Christine.

Geez, what to say.

Have I tried writing this genre before?

Yes, I have 5 complete novels sitting on my hard drive. 4 have been rejected repeatedly and at this point I honestly don't know why. There's something I'm missing.

What do I like about it?

I'm very interested in the person to person dynamic. Anytime I start writing something broader I end up focusing down on how does he feel? How does she feel? Plus there's the whole leaving everybody happy in the end. If life can't all have happy endings, I have to make up my own.

What are some of my favorite romance novels and authors?

Teresa Medeiros, especially Nobody's Darling and Lady of Conquest
Leigh Michaels, no, I'm not buttering anybody up.
Helen Kirkman, no titles popping to mind.
Connie Willis, not a romance author, but her stories tend to have a romantic core, especially To Say Nothing Of the Dog
Sharon Kay Penman, also not a romance author, but I laugh and cry every time I read Here Be Dragons.
Edith Wharton, also not romance and not particularly happy ending either, but she's just amazing.

Do I have a favorite sub-genre?

Historical, but half the time I end up mad because the history is wrong. I'm something of a history buff and I get peeved when a character eats with a fork in 11th cent England. I actually won a fight with an editor over when the Welsh longbow was invented. Then the editor was fired and my story got lost in the bowels of White Wolf Publishing.

Other than that, I'm an ESL teacher headed back to South Korea for another year at the end of February. I write because I'm a junkie. I'll write even if I know no one but me will ever read it (and I have 12MB of fan fiction to prove it.) I've never done one of these before, but I've been in a lot of writing groups over the years. I look forward to chatting with all of you.
Frequent Contributor
magicalbookworm
0 Kudos

I know how you feel about having novels just sitting doing nothing on your computer. I guess its just a mater of actually editing something :smileyhappy: Though I do hope this class will let me add much more to any other novels I write!

Hope your novels and writing go well!
New User
pamelia57
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Pam from Southeast Ohio. I started seriously writing last January then had to take most of the summer and fall off for health and limitation reasons. I'm ready to get back into it now that the down time of the year is here. I've completed one middle grade children's book that I really need to edit and submit. Now I'm working on an adult suspense mystery, but of course there is a romance involved that blossoms over the course of the book. I still haven't figured out if they finally get together or not. The protagonist is based on me with my life, so I'm having a hard time relating to different situations I'm put into, so I need to get out of that trap and find a way to develop her. Leigh was highly recommended to me by everyone I have met who took her class, so here I am.
Looking forward to great discussions and lots of learning!
Happy New Year Everyone!
Pam
Pam
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

Ug, that's the frustrating part. I have edited. I have had it critiqued by friends and editied again. I even sent one in to eHarlequin's critique service and was told "you have written an emotionally compelling story that is well suited to the Silhouette Special Edition series." That line actually requested the full manuscript after I made the changes the service requested and then rejected it without comment. By that time I was too busy running away to Korea to do anything more about it. Now I really just wnat to know what I'm missing.

Hopefully, we can get everybody else's books off the hard drive and into a slush pile someplace :smileyvery-happy:.
Contributor
humbrd33
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

My name is Kim and I am a avid reader and am beginning to try my hand at writing. I look forward to learning all I can from everyone in the group.
Frequent Contributor
jen-uh-lyn
0 Kudos

ChristineM wrote:
Yes, I have 5 complete novels sitting on my hard drive. 4 have been rejected repeatedly and at this point I honestly don't know why. There's something I'm missing.

I've done lots of beta editing work on some fanfiction for lots of people. If you'd like, I'd be honored to read over your books and then give you feedback on them.

My email - used for beta purposes, and my Harry Potter fansite - is jen.uh24@hotmail.com.
"It doesn't do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."
Frequent Contributor
magicalbookworm
0 Kudos

I have yet to get to the part where I send something to an agent/publisher. working on the actually finding of beta readers. But it does seem strange that you are getting so far, then not getting any information on why they don't like the novel. The only thing you can do is keep trying!
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

jen-uh-lyn wrote:

ChristineM wrote:

I've done lots of beta editing work on some fanfiction for lots of people. If you'd like, I'd be honored to read over your books and then give you feedback on them.

My email - used for beta purposes, and my Harry Potter fansite - is jen.uh24@hotmail.com.

Thanks. I'm currently going through them again. I'll send the first one along when I finish. Once I get back to Korea, I'll be game to do some critquing myself.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 532 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: