Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Love Scenes: How Other Authors Do It

Are there authors who write love scenes you admire? What is it that makes you like these scenes so much? Share the names of authors and books with the group.

Reply to this message to discuss this topic.

Contributor
Hollyabbie
0 Kudos

Re: Love Scenes: How Other Authors Do It

There are many I admire. It really depends on the book. I love Christine Feehan, Gena Showalter for their sizzling style. Karen Whiddon, Lora Leigh and several others for a softer approach with inspiration.
I am new to this genre, I'll admit it. I love it! I read about 4-5 books a week. Coming from a dark fantasy background, I find Romance so uplifting and really feeds my muse.

H

Out on the edge you see all kinds of things
you can't see from the center.
--Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Frequent Contributor
cariann92
0 Kudos

Love Scenes: How Other Authors Do It

I enjoy reading love scenes. That said or written, I doubt that I will be able to write a very sexy love scene.

I have read many good love scenes. Too many to remember the best. But I do remember the worst. I won't mention names, but I will say that I like the author. The love scenes were good. But the problem, she wrote a series about an entire family. Many brothers who found their heroines and had their love scenes. I just happened to read the books one after the other, just weeks apart. The books were written a year or more apart, or published that way. I often wait til I have the whole series and then read.

Well, the poor brothers made love identically. As I was reading the second book, I went back and found the scenes in the first one, then I read the third, etc. It must be in the genes, heredity, whatever. The boys must have learned the birds and the bees from the same person and made love the same, plus the heroines responded the same way even though they weren't related. Descriptions and everything were the same. Same words and sentences even.

Back in the day, the beginning of my reading Harlequins, there was only the Romance line and no sex. And as I said somewhere else, I adore Betty Neels books.

--
One problem I have been having lately with the book club, accessing it throws me off aol all the time. Maybe my computer only. Anyway, I may have fixed the problem, I have broadband and went to the internet explorer thing, got on the book club, and it shows up on the line with the card games, next to the Start thing. I just minimize in and max it, and when I go from one thread to another, it works.

Cariann
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

Speaking of love scenes.... anybody want to take a guess as to which classic this line comes from?

"They tried it first on the bed and then on the floor."

Happy speculating,
Leigh
Contributor
Hollyabbie
0 Kudos

I was about to say, Peter Pan, but think it is reversed.
Going to check now.
Holly

P.S.
Also I have written a love scene and will post it tomorrow. I hope. Very nervous, its my first time. Sorry had to say that.

Out on the edge you see all kinds of things
you can't see from the center.
--Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Frequent Contributor
lavenderlass
0 Kudos

Leigh's challenge.

Hhhhm, well, it's certainly too brazen for Jane Austen! Would it be yourself Leigh?

Lynne.
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

It may be reversed... I did it off the top of my head. :smileyhappy:

And no, it's not mine.

Happy looking,
Leigh
Frequent Contributor
dixielandgrl
0 Kudos

Classic, huh? I don't think it would be a romance referring to sex. hmmmm. Green eggs and Ham!!!!
"If all would lead their lives in love like me,
Then bloody swords and armor should not be:" Thomas Campion
Frequent Contributor
dixielandgrl
0 Kudos

Or the one with the rainy day... The cat in the hat!
Frequent Contributor
dixielandgrl
0 Kudos

Tell me it's Dr. Seuss at least. I am so sure of it.
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

I'm broken-hearted to disappoint you, Dixie, but no, it's not Dr. Seuss.

Leigh
Frequent Contributor
dixielandgrl
0 Kudos

Rofl.
Frequent Contributor
cariann92
0 Kudos

Only thing I can think of -

Gone with the Wind.

Peyton Place,

Cariann
Contributor
ccdime91
0 Kudos

cariann92 wrote:
Only thing I can think of -

Gone with the Wind.

Peyton Place,

Cariann

yea i love that movie but i can also think of the notebook ,pearl harbor,and some others i cant thin of.
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

Just to finish up with this thread -- Hollyabbie is right, the quote was from Peter Pan, and the scene was Wendy trying to sew Peter's shadow back on.

Best,
Leigh
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 190 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: