Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Love Scenes: What to Call It?

Even writers who have no trouble whatsoever finding words to tell the rest of their story often stumble over what's appropriate in love scenes.

What do you think is acceptable terminology when describing body parts and the actions of making love? Where does the "ick" factor kick in for you?

Reply to this message to discuss this topic.

New User
PhilJane
0 Kudos

Re: Love Scenes: What to Call It?

I think graphic terms, are a turn off. Also being too naive can be a turnoff too. One has to strive to describe body parts in a delicate way in which won't offend any reader, nor make them laugh at the term.
I like to use terms like, "the core of her being", things that mean the hero has touched a place that only lovers may go.
You certainly don't want a medical terminology, nor do you want erotica in romance terms. I also like to use the word "kiss" instead of the more graphic terms of touching certain parts.
Just my take on it.
Rita Hestand
http://ritahestand.com
http://readerseden.com
Author of:
Heart of the Wild, NIck's Baby, Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Wandering Heart, Strictly Business, Courting Abby, Hannah's Man
Contributor
Hollyabbie
0 Kudos

I agree that the graphic terminology is a turn off. I was just readin a very good story and one of the love scenes was way too blunt about parts and it almost ruined the whole book.

H

Out on the edge you see all kinds of things
you can't see from the center.
--Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Frequent Contributor
dixielandgrl
0 Kudos

I really hate the word shaft...I mean how many bad images does that evoke? I am surprisingly comfortable with erotica's terms now. I like th honesty. I like not having to guess. Scrotum may be going too far, but I prefer to call a penis a penis, if I must call it anything at all. so often you really don't have to use names and location, a general area suffices for me. It's ninety percent brain anyway. IMO.

Boy, am I behind in my studies? I've been nuts over here. I'll try to do better. At least, I got back for the ...I was going to say hard stuff, but let's go with difficult part, shall we?
"If all would lead their lives in love like me,
Then bloody swords and armor should not be:" Thomas Campion
Contributor
Hollyabbie
0 Kudos

Don't consider penis too graphic.

Out on the edge you see all kinds of things
you can't see from the center.
--Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

Technical terms always make me feel like I'm in a doctor's office. Mushy non-terms like core of her being always annoy me. I know there's a happy medium somewhere, but I haven't found it. I usually end up on the mushy side when I write.

Dixie, hard stuff? My neighbors were probably not please with my out loud laughing at midnight.
Frequent Contributor
lavenderlass
0 Kudos

I'm a bit different, I like using the usual medical-ish words because to me they're quite understated, I sort of swop that term for my interpretation of it. I reckon they can't offend anyone so I keep using them. I'm less sure about the woolly ways of describing them though. Maybe I'm a bit daft but I'm not always sure I interpret them right, I can't always figure out exactly what they're doing now, and that pulls me out of the story a little. It depends how well it's done though and probably what mood I'm in.

Lynne.
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

Lynne,

You're right, they are understated. You probably know more of the actual terms than I do. My problem is, when I start using the technical terms my minds goes into "put your feet in the stirrups and scoot to the edge of the table. This might be a little uncomfortable." I'm sure attitude's got to show through in my writing.
Frequent Contributor
dixielandgrl
0 Kudos

Christine, you crack me up.
"If all would lead their lives in love like me,
Then bloody swords and armor should not be:" Thomas Campion
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

Happy to be of service.