Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

Male Main Character.

Would you buy and read a romance novel where the main character is male? More or less so if it's in first person? This is to say that the book follows his day around and his thoughts in prose.

If this would turn you off a book, why?
~*~Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.~*~
Frequent Contributor
dixielandgrl
0 Kudos

Re: Male Main Character.

Not only would I. I have. I may be quirky but, if it's done well, I like to be in the guy's head for a change. In fact, I have a chick lit book around here where he's the MC and a writer of romance novels. It was very entertaining.
"If all would lead their lives in love like me,
Then bloody swords and armor should not be:" Thomas Campion
Frequent Contributor
lavenderlass
0 Kudos

Yes, I would if it was written well. I'm sure I've read a book like this, but can't remember what it was called.
Frequent Contributor
Ch-Janet
0 Kudos

I've read one very good HM&B romance novel where the whole story was in the male POV.
First person, I'm not so sure about. It often makes the character sound a little egotistical.

What worries me is this:
"This is to say that the book follows his day around and his thoughts in prose."

Does the story have a plot or is it mainly observations on his life
Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

Ch-Janet wrote:
I've read one very good HM&B romance novel where the whole story was in the male POV.
First person, I'm not so sure about. It often makes the character sound a little egotistical.

What worries me is this:
"This is to say that the book follows his day around and his thoughts in prose."

Does the story have a plot or is it mainly observations on his life

Oh, of course there's a plot. I was more asking if women would read a romance from the male point of view. That's what I'm curious about. Why do you say that the first person male makes him sound egotistical? Do you feel the same way about a first person female?
~*~Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.~*~
Frequent Contributor
Ch-Janet
0 Kudos

Yes. I think writing in first person is very difficult and can so easily sound egotistical. (male or female) Something to do with all those sentences beginning with 'I' But just because I struggle doesn't mean other writers do. I definitely like the idea of a book from H POV and I would definitely read it.
Contributor
Hollyabbie
0 Kudos

I just read, "The Nymph King" and speaking of POV questions....I believe this is in third person deep and switched between heroine and hero nicely. The parts done in the male POV were great. I know this isn't strictly the male POV but I have a question as to the actual POV changes.

How exactly is this accepted? I am running into problems with my local writers group. They insist this cannot be done.
I think it is necessary to my story and several that I have read.
I had decided to do a chapter of his POV running the same timeline for her in the next in heroines (think I am saying that right).
What is acceptable???
Thank you for your help.
Holly

Out on the edge you see all kinds of things
you can't see from the center.
--Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

POV question

Hollyabbie wrote:
I just read, "The Nymph King" and speaking of POV questions....I believe this is in third person deep and switched between heroine and hero nicely. The parts done in the male POV were great. I know this isn't strictly the male POV but I have a question as to the actual POV changes.

How exactly is this accepted? I am running into problems with my local writers group. They insist this cannot be done.
I think it is necessary to my story and several that I have read.
I had decided to do a chapter of his POV running the same timeline for her in the next in heroines (think I am saying that right).
What is acceptable???
Thank you for your help.
Holly

Romance publishers as a rule are now very open to the idea of two points of view -- hero's and heroine's. Some publishers, lines, and authors go further and use both POVs within a single scene, shifting back and forth between what he thinks and what she thinks.

However, the standard usage of POV in all fiction says that we should decide up front whose POV we're going to use and stick to it throughout that scene. If we decide to switch to another character's POV, then we should start a new scene.

Romance is about the only fiction that allows the use of two POVs within a single scene. Some authors do that switching back and forth well; most don't. My advice is to learn how to do it properly -- one POV per scene. Then you can decide when a dual POV improves the scene, and you won't be slipping up accidentally.

For more about POV and how to use it, you might want to go look at the POV thread we did a few weeks ago -- it's still on the site along with exercises and examples.

Happy writing!
Leigh
Contributor
Hollyabbie
0 Kudos

Re: POV question

Thank you!
I will look up the thread now.
Holly

Out on the edge you see all kinds of things
you can't see from the center.
--Kurt Vonnegut Jr.