Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Hollyabbie
0 Kudos

Putting my plot on Paper

I have been working on this storyline Paranormal-Romance and would appreciate any suggestions.
Libby’s brother has gotten himself into trouble and disappeared.
Libby must return home to find him, this means confronting her past and agreeing to work for Brighton Industries again.
She left Brighton’s security force as its most valuable agent. Valuable because of her telepathic and psychic ability. Brighton used and abused Libby. Letting her leave only to guard his son Steven.

She left without telling Michael Rand her best friend. Libby was hurt when Michael was reassigned to Europe for Brighton. She stuck a note on his desk and left.

When she returns, Libby finds Michael has left Brighton and is now the sheriff. Technically making him on the other side and can’t be trusted to find her brother and save him. He is also involved with Brighton’s daughter Katherine driving her further away from Michael.

To resolve her problem she needs Michael to help her. Something is very wrong with her powers and Libby is becoming very dark and uncontrollable.
Michael is the only person who can help. He wants to help, he has loved Libby since the day they met. This time he won’t lose her or let any harm come to her, whether it be Brighton’s or her own brother.
Michael knows the powers she possesses were intended to be used to protect Pine Creek.

Libby and Michael’s desire for each ignites from the moment she sees him upon her return. Libby thinks she is triggering their attraction,

Michael loves her, his love for her is what is bringing them together. He must show her it is ok to love someone again, that the horrible mistake she made in marrying Steven was just that. She must learn to trust Michael is not Steven.

Libby uncovers not only the mess her brother is caught up in with drugs, but it appears Michael is involved with them, of course he isn’t he has been trying to uncover the heads of the organization as well.

Michael must get Libby to the amphitheatre which high in the canyon’s Wind tunnels there she can reconnect to the ancient Indian known as Toke.

Libby must be forced to choose between her brother and the her ex-husband Steven Brighton, if she chooses her brother, everything will be lost including Michael, Pine Creek and Mr. Brighton’s life (Steven’s father). Her heart says try to help her brother again and with the darkness that has overtaken her abilities, Michael’s time is running out to help her.

Here is where I know the end but am struggling.

Her brother has betrayed her. He has always been using her, watching her and involved with whoever pays him the most. He has been ordered to kill anyone who gets in the new syndicate’s way and will.

Steven, while a jerk is just a jerk with good intentions for his father’s company and Pine Creek.

Trying to iron this out using guideline questions. Very good exercise. Has really helped with my plot.
Thanks for any input.
Holly

Out on the edge you see all kinds of things
you can't see from the center.
--Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Frequent Contributor
cariann92
0 Kudos

Re: Putting my plot on Paper

Holly,

Very interesting. I don't read paranormals per se. But I do watch films and tv about paranormals.

A timeline would help me, how much is backstory, how much is going to happen, etc.

To guard Steven - did that mean she married him then, before or later?

Is the brother psychic?

She thinks her love for Michael is something she is causing/triggering. How could she do that?

Is Michael working undercover about the drugs?

Hope my questions help.

Cariann
Contributor
Hollyabbie
0 Kudos

cariann92 wrote:
Holly,

Very interesting. I don't read paranormals per se. But I do watch films and tv about paranormals.

A timeline would help me, how much is backstory, how much is going to happen, etc.

To ?

Is the brother psychic?

She thinks her love for Michael is something she is causing/triggering. How could she do that?

Is Michael working undercover about the drugs?

Hope my questions help.

Cariann

To guard Steven - did that mean she married him then, before or later.
She did ,marry him since typing and going over the plot a million times I realize that is kind of odd. Her and Steven fell into a loveless relationship. Libby had shut away her paranormal abilities to live a normal life.
Her brother is not a psychic, just a user who does not care for her or anyone.

She has telepathic abilities that can influence people (it is part of the darkness) and at this point in life she feels that is the only way someone would be attracted to her, of course that is not true, Michael genuinely loves her.

Yes, Michael is working undercover about the drugs.

thank you for your interest this realy helps.
Holly

--Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Frequent Contributor
lavenderlass
0 Kudos

It sounds like a good plot but I found it quite hard to work out who is who and what they're doing. How about taking one character at a time and writing their story plus motives? As it is now you have to scroll down for motives and pick them out of other's story, and that is confusing.

Lynne.
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

I thought it was an interesting idea, but like Lynne I had trouble following things. It's really hard to boil your plot down to a couple of lines, isn't it? I did wonder about Libby's ability to influence people. I read a C. J. Cherryh novel years ago. There were 3 characters, one woman and two men. Both men were in love with the woman, but one of them was a wizard and 'he couldn't be in love with anyone because to love them would be to force them to love him.' I can see how Libby could have forced Steven to love her, but I'm wondering how she could stop herself from forcing Micheal to love her.
Contributor
Hollyabbie
0 Kudos

I had the same problems and have ended up going back to my original story. Which was not close to this.
I belong to a writers group and the story got lost in critiquing and I let it.
I write Fantasy-dark fantasy-paranormal and wrote the original plot and story to those genres when I decided on Romance, hence, the Romance Paranormal.
The ex is gone I hated the character and was going to kill him in chapter two (He was a suggestion of someone to give the story oomph) because he made no sense.
No more drugs--yay!
Michael is the other of Libby's (now Lyri again) kind.
Just spent the entire weekend shredding this one and once the original story birthed itself again, everything now makes sense.
The plotline is being put on paper this evening. The world of the Ibleans (Lyri) I have worked with for a long time. This will be their present day story.
Sorry this is so long, but a valuable lesson was learned: We know our stories in our mind, accept them. Yes listen and learn from input. I got caught up in, "they said it, it must be so".
Love the group, should have stuck to my guns.
This board helped me realize this.
(and reading over 60 Romances over the last month).
Holly

--Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

It's hard when you've got a bunch of people saying, "no, you should do this" to pick out what's important and what's their hang up. That's one of the reasons I like to draft something whole before I let anyone read it. Then if someone says "you know I like Vince better than Jack, I think Katherine should go for him" I don't rework my whole plot only to find out that I started to write a story about a firefighter and a teacher and my critiquer only liked Vince because he was a cop. My way of handling things may not be your way, but I usually ask for input before I put much down and them I run away to write in private and do one thorough edit before I let the world see it.

You'll have to give me a bit more info on the backstory. It sounds really interesting.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 696 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: