Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

What Is Romance?: Different Types

[ Edited ]

Pages 12-16 of Creating Romantic Characters list ten different types of romance stories - the bad boy, friends forever, a marriage of convenience, etc. Review this list and think about what type of romance story you'd like to write. Share your ideas with the group.

Reply to this message to discuss this topic.

Message Edited by BookClubEditor on 01-05-2007 05:48 PM

Contributor
Brandy
0 Kudos

Re: What Is Romance?: Different Types

Leigh and everyone,
I'm writing a sleeping Beauty story line for this class.
Sleeping Beauty:
A man finds himself involved with a woman who he is supposed to be invesigating for attempted murder of her abusive ex-husband. Can he prove her innocence and make her see that not every man is like her ex-husband.
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

Kinds of romance

What kinds of romance do you most like to read? Who are your favorite authors?
Frequent Contributor
magicalbookworm
0 Kudos

I haven't read many if any straight romance novels. Mostly the novels I read have the romance a second or even thrid plot line. But for the novel I wish to work on for this novel is going to have a strong romance plot line, but at the same time have a Fnantasy setting. The idea I have so far for the novel is that of an arranged marriage to help with the peace of the two kingdoms. I have a feeling that this idea might be do ... done before. But I think it would be able to work if I found some new twists. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

What would you like to write?

I think if I was able to write a whole book, I'd like it to be a Paranormal romance- I'm fascinated by werewoves and witches and vampires and fantasy lands. I also like mystery type romances, but I would need tons and tons of research into legal type things or law enforcement jobs.
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

Re: Kinds of romance

What kinds of romance do I like to read? What day is it?

I tend to return to historicals (despite taking a lot of abuse at my old job for the cover of Helen Kirkman's Forbidden. You know, the guy with his arms chained over his head?)

I also go through heavy mystery rotations. I'm hopelessly in love with Liam Campbell from Dana Stabenow's mystery series and I have a bit of a crush on Evan Evans in Rhys Bowen's mysteries. My all time favorite romance intrigue is Gabriel West: Still the One.

I've read more fantasy and sci fi than I can count, but I'm a little leary of paranormal romance because sometimes it looks like the author is just making up paranormal phenominon instead of looking into the cool stuff that's out there. I was totally burned by a book that seemed to be based on a 70's tv show called Phoenix. It only lasted about one season, but I liked it and had hope for the book. if anybody can steer me to good paranormal (no vampires, I can't get into that) I'd appreciate it.

And then there was the comic book phase. Sandman was very paranormal and really well written though mostly not well illustrated). Sandman himself was pretty easy to look at too in that skinny, wiry way. If you've ever seen the Sandman statue that was based on the Arabian Nights story, it was modeled on my husband. So, lucky me. There was also Nomad, another comic book character. Nomad was the subject of my first romance story and my first fan fiction.

Essentially, with reading and writing, like with music and food, I'll try anything once and probably twice.
Frequent Contributor
lavenderlass
0 Kudos

Paranormals and werewolves aren't big at all in the uk, or really much supernatural stuff at all, I don't know if that'll change at all. We do have ghost stories like PD James but they're usually based around some old castle and reputed to be true. I believe them as my mum had experience of one and she's not easily scared. Dr Who on TV is very popular though and has always had a cult following - especially when David Tennant took over the lead role!

I love historicals and medicals mostly, but also contemporary romantic ficiton. I'm not wild about erotic stuff, though that's not because of prudishness. I'm not really sure why.

Lynne.
Frequent Contributor
dixielandgrl
0 Kudos

I just discovered paranormal romance, but up till Christmas I have been devouring the stephanie plums. Now I have to wait for thirteen. Those are mysteries really. Although if you want a page on writing a sexy sexy man, Janet Evanovich is one of the girls to talk to about it. lol.

Let's see. I love regency to the point that, if it is badly researched, I know it. That's why I am not writing it. Afraid I'll do it badly. I will ususally go for the straight gothics. Nothing too out there. I have read chick lit, but it isn't my favorite - Nina killham's Mounting Desire is entertaining. Warning:adult content! That title is actually a clue.
"If all would lead their lives in love like me,
Then bloody swords and armor should not be:" Thomas Campion
Frequent Contributor
Vicky
0 Kudos

I love to read romantic suspense, paranormal in the science fiction areas and gothic. My favorite authors are from Harlequin MIRA, Mary Higgins Clark, James Patterson, Carlene Thompson and Faye Kellerman.

I am studying writing with the hope of professional publication. I have been told I have talent by teachers from grade school through university. Long ago I began to write with professional aims but had to give it up. Now I'm back due to the encouragement of my husband and my own desire. I plan to work hard and learn as much as I can.

I'm very shy but want to join this group. I'll do my best. Thank-you for this opportunity.

Vicky
Contributor
mn_girl_in_heart_of_dixie
0 Kudos

Vicky wrote:
Long ago I began to write with professional aims but had to give it up. Now I'm back due to the encouragement of my husband and my own desire. I plan to work hard and learn as much as I can.

I'm very shy but want to join this group. I'll do my best. Thank-you for this opportunity.

Vicky

You go, girl. There are a lot of us out there. We stick together, and we'll see things happen. You are stronger than you think. SO, leave shy in the closet and put on bold and beautiful. There's an old one about "nothing ventured, nothing gained." I'm going to be looking for your contributions.
Jeanette Isabella
Frequent Contributor
Jody1S
0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Jody and today is the first day that I have come across this book club and I am very excited about it. I can see that it has been going on for almost a week so I'll have to do some catching up. I plan on getting in my truck in a few minutes to drive over to the bookstore, my favorite place, and pick up the book, Writing the Romance Novel.

I have always been interested in writing but just have never made the time to do it. I figured you have to make the time and just do it! So here I am and I am really looking forward to getting some tips on the subject.

The types of novels I enjoy are those written by Nicholas Sparks and a couple of romances that I have come across by James Patterson.

Well, hope everyone has a nice day!

Jody
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

Hi, Jody -- Welcome! Don't worry about catching up; the more leisurely pace of the book clubs means that people can start anytime and just dive in -- as the discussion moves along, we'll add new threads and topics, but the previous ones will still be here and we can add to them at any time.

Happy writing,
Leigh
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

Amazing how the time to write never appears unless you make it, doesn't it?
Contributor
mn_girl_in_heart_of_dixie
0 Kudos

ChristineM wrote:
Amazing how the time to write never appears unless you make it, doesn't it?

Indeed. Try working with a collaborator. It's even more fun and in a good way. You'll see. We have our first idea smoking. Thimbellia is hopefully fanning those flames.
Jeanette Isabella
Contributor
Brandy
0 Kudos

The kinds of romance novels that I enjoy the most are the secret baby ones. I also like the marriage of convenience, sometimes these overlap so I get double the enjoyment.

Brandy
Frequent Contributor
dixielandgrl
0 Kudos

I can believe that paranormals aren't big in the UK. The institutes for paranormal research are all in Scotland. For the UK, it's probably old hat. I can imagine the British being more matter of fact about it than Americans. After all, your history extends so far back. Keeping track of the ghost stories is most likely the problem. I got interested from a personal experience, but now religiously watch MOST HAUNTED from BBC. And over here in America, there is the nutjob factor. AS a culture, if we can't prove it and you still believe in it, you must be a nutjob.
"If all would lead their lives in love like me,
Then bloody swords and armor should not be:" Thomas Campion
Contributor
Angeltina
0 Kudos

I like to write paranormal romance. I find this sub-genre works best for me. I find the whole sci-fi supernature bit facinating. I grew up next to a huanted house, well until I was ten at least, with stories from my grandparents and family members who LIVED in that house. Although as terrifying as there recollections were, I also found them interesting.
I am currently working on a manuscript and its almost completed. The first in a series I hope. The story line is about immortals who are born onto this earth with extrordinary powers, their job is to protect the earth/innocent from supernatural evils. Their cover varies from private detective to hair dresser. All depends on the character. The one I am working on at the moment is about a woman who has found herself wanting more to live in her dreams where she finds the man she loves, who she thinks is a figment of her imagination, than live in reality where her almost everyday was a battle against evil. Until she is sent on a mission, alone, to find and rescue a child who had been taken by a new threat of evil. On her mission she meets a vampire and another of her own kind, finds the man of her dreams to be real and discovers a connection of love even beyond her immortal understanding.

I am hoping to submit it soon and pray it is good enough to sell. I have been working hard and I know the work has only just begun. I plan on learning all that I can about writing and making your characters come to live. There is one thing I love and that's a good book. My dream is to create one of those books.

I also like cowboy stories, but have found it hard for me to write one. I have come up with several ideas for a story, written them down, but that is as far as they have gotten.

Christina
New User
realta
0 Kudos

Re: What Is Romance?

Hi, everybody.

I read romance, sf, fantasy, mystery, straight historicals, and lots of nonfiction--basically, everything! In romance, I love detailed historicals ("Outlander" comes to mind), and I also really love the classic category romances. I'm especially fond of some of the Australian and English authors. (And, of course, Leigh Michaels!) Also, Kristi Gold's "House of Midnight" was a really nice Silhouette Desire from a while back. It had a great touch of spooky about it.

Realta
Contributor
beccajean22
0 Kudos

I like the idea of the bad boy romance. The victory at the end seems so much sweeter when the man took so much longer to fall. I like to write historical romances so I can use many writing sub genres.
New User
wku333
0 Kudos

Hi all. I'm new to the club, but not new to romance. I have been reading some form of romance since I was 12. I love romantic suspense (Allison Brennan is a recent fav, and of course, Nora Roberts). I also enjoy Diana Palmer (not sure what to classify her), Janet Evanovich, Mariah Stewart, Elizabeth Lowell, Cindy Gerard. I really enjoy series type novels (like the Bodyguard series, Stephanie Plum, In Death, etc.)
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 206 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: