Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
realta
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Read Romance?

Hmm. I suppose the only reason to read any fiction is escapism. I actually like a lot of narrative tension, so I tend to read romances that have a strong "other plot"--for instance, historicals with a mystery folded in. When I read straight romances, they're usually quite short--like Harlequin Romances & Presents.

I've also noticed that my tastes have changed over the years. I remember reading Jane Austen in college and thinking, "I just don't get it. She's okay, but what's the big deal?" Now I find her tremendously enjoyable.

Realta
Contributor
Brandy
0 Kudos

Re: Parched!! :)

Hi! I know what you mean about getting addicted to reading novels. I found a site on the internet where you can you download ebooks. I have spent so much money that I better finish a novel soon and get published or I might go broke. HAHA!! :smileyhappy: I thought you might like the site so here is the website: http://www.diesel-ebooks.com

Brandy
Frequent Contributor
cariann92
0 Kudos

Re: What Is Romance?: Why Do You Read It?

Romance novels, I love them. I began reading them back in the day when Betty Neels and Mary Burchell were the norm. The sweet romance, not the Desire or Blaze. I could read Neels' and Burchell's books without my face turning red when in public.

One thing Neels did, I discovered this one day when I was reading one of her books, the characters from the book I had finished the day before were mentioned in the newer book. The hero was friends with the previous H/h. I had a listing of which books each set of characters were in, but lost the file when that computer crashed. Didn't have it saved on disk. Didn't print out entire list either.

You could keep track of your favorite people that way.

I read a lot now to check on POV, characterization, etc. My niece challenged me to take Leigh's class back in 2003, she reminded me how I used to say, 'I could write like that.' Duh, sure I can, with a lot of help from my friends.

I enjoy mysteries, Mary Higgins Clark and her daughter Carol, Sue Grafton, and then Intrigue from Harlequin.

I wonder if I could ever write a mystery. I did figure out whodunnit in one of MHC's book by the third chapter. I checked the end, I was right. Believe it or not, it didn't take away my pleasure in reading it either. Checking out how she developed it more.

Cariann
Contributor
Dawnfire
0 Kudos

Well, to me, Romance is another form of a fantasy story. While it may not be fantasy in the form of magic / dragons / other words, it's still an escape from reality. That's why I read it, I like to suspend reality for a couple hours.

I started reading Romance back when I was about 13 (and yes, I can tell you the exact book). My mother used to read Harlequin Presents novels, that was what got me started on the genre... I've since branched to Regency, Historical, Paranormal to name a few... I also read sci-fi/fantasy, suspense, true crime... I'm a bit eclectic in what I'll pick up...
- "After all these years, can you believe, I'm still chasing that dream." Bon Jovi
Contributor
Mystik_Rose
0 Kudos

I like romance novels for the connection of the characters. I like reading about the instant attractions, or winning the girl over time. I like the bad boys who aren't quite tamed in the end, and keep their attitude, even through marriage. They do provide a good escape from every day life, which I admit is a huge attraction for me, and the reason I read at all. My favorite romance novels are the ones that make me laugh out loud, and have some humor in them. Historical romances hold some intrigue because I like to see if they hold up with real history, and typically those stories involve a lot of big strong "he-men" who sweep the girl away and keep her, sometimes against her will. I've always had that wistful dream, that someday a man will come and sweep me away. That's the attraction in romance novels for me.
"Everything in the world exists in order to end up as a book." Stephan Mallarme
Contributor
Brandy
0 Kudos

Re: Medical Romances

Leigh,

I went to the Mills and Boon website to look for medical romances and they aren't sold in stores. I had to order them from B@N website. Have you had this problem or do know where I can find them? TIA

Brandy
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

Medical romances are released as a line mostly in the UK and I think in Australia. In the US, some of them appear in the Harlequin Romance line, but there isn't a North American medical romance line.

Marion Lennox writes a lot of medicals, some of which have been released as Harlequin Romances. Perhaps some of the other readers here can suggest some additional names to look for.

Happy writing,
Leigh
Frequent Contributor
lavenderlass
0 Kudos

hi, I can recommend loads of medicals - I love 'em! Alison Roberts is great, Margaret McDonagh is a scottish newcomer and very good, as is Olivia Gates who is an egyptian doctor in real life, Lucy Clark, Gill Sanderson (this is actually a he, he & his wife started writing them together then she went back to her job and he continued. He's very active in the RNA uk) I think those are my top reads, but I try new people too.

Happy reading, Lynne.
Contributor
Juleeg
0 Kudos

If you are a romantic at heart, the I guess reading romance novels would be a given.

I also feel that reading romance novels stimulates a part of the brain that can be quite healthy for you. Actually, anything that entrances the state of mind for long periods of time, and keeps that constant occupation, can be beneficial if it's a healthy stimulation. All things aside, I am not trying to suggest that a compulsive obsession with something is a good thing, but thoughts of love and granduer occupy more people's minds than we know.

The human body and soul needs love, but also does the human mind. Thinking is feeling, and so on.

I know that when I read a good love story, preferably a happy ending, I am mentally occupied by that story for long periods of time. I think the key word is good, because obviously that's what writer's strive for. However, it's the endorphins that get triggered that makes a good, well-paced romance novel addicting.

I'm sure all that I've said is all too obvious to everyone, but after all is said and done, I read romance novels because being in love feels good.

Julee
"I must have ye now, or die!" Jamie Fraser
- The Fiery Cross, Diana Gabaldon

Juleeg
Frequent Contributor
lavenderlass
0 Kudos

I quite agree with you Julee, I hadn't made the connection between endorphins and romantic fiction but you're probably right.
Would be good if they came on prescription wouldn't it? If I was a dr I'd say, 'take one of these every day!' I'm sure it would make folk happier,
Lynne.
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

That clicks with a conversation I had with a lady at the store one day. She's this kinda kooky old broad who loves her animal prints and would come in once a week to load up. I asked her about it one day and she said that if she had read more romance novels she wouldn't have been so depressed and her husband wouldn't have had to run around on her. Reading all those books, in addition to giving her ideas (wink, wink), had also made her a much happier person.
Frequent Contributor
lavenderlass
0 Kudos

What's a kooky old broad Christine? I guess she must be okay since she's got such a good taste in books! It's a lovely saying I want to use it over here but not if it's rude!

Lynne.
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

It's not rude under the right circumstances. If I told this woman she was a kooky old broad, she'd laugh and pinch my cheek. When I use it, I mean a funny, kinda crazy older woman. Now, if she was mean she'd be a nasty old bat, but that woman had no sense of humor, was senile and only bought French fashion magazines. So I guess it's a term of affection, say it with a smile.
Frequent Contributor
lavenderlass
0 Kudos

I get it Christine! We have nasty old bat here, but not kooky old broad and I don't think we've any direct equivalent here. In Scotland you can be canny, that's a brilliant word, it means you are clever and cunning but not necessarily academically clever, but again there's no equivalent in English.
I think I may be turning into a kooky old broad!

Lynne.
Contributor
Dawnfire
0 Kudos

Hmm.. kooky old broad... now there's one I haven't heard in awhile... We'll see if I can still recall my British slang correctly...

If you're looking for a comparative, Lynne, calling someone kooky is about the equivalent of calling them a nutter... calling someone a broad is similar to calling them a cow, but I always considered the connotation on a 'cow' as a bit more negative...
- "After all these years, can you believe, I'm still chasing that dream." Bon Jovi
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

Awful joke alert!

Why do they call it PMS?

Because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

A friend just told me that and it seemed pertinent.
Frequent Contributor
lavenderlass
0 Kudos

You're spot on with your uk slang! Kooky sounds kind of sweet, a bit crazy & eccentric whereas you're right, to call someone a cow is negative. I can't wait to use the words kooky old broad to someone, but I think it's best for me!

Loved the joke Christine - it's so bad it's good!

Lynne.

PS I got Leigh's book 'On Writing Romance' this morning, it is excellent! I've already read one chapter and thumbed through the rest, it has answers to all the questions we were asking last week, if only I'd had it then I could have started from a more knowledgeable place. But never mind, better late than never.
New User
oldfashionedromantic
0 Kudos

Romance to me is subtle. being courted over a period of time, a good sense of humor and intelligence are also turn-ons for me. It does not have to flashy. I read romance novels because I like to escape....
Reader 2
NoDestressedDamsel
0 Kudos

Re: Reading Romance

The feeling I get from romance that no other genre gives me is assurance. I know that through it all things will go well. Romance has the happy ending but it is not the same old predictable way. The feeling is renewed with every new read. I have been a little removed from this genre so I am looking forward to a reunion to the great relationship I have with romance novels.
New User
HappyKaren
0 Kudos

Romance is such a large umbrella. In the romance section you can find everything: sci-fi, adventure, medical drama, action, thrillers, history, philosophy, religion, whatever your preference. I don't have a preferred sub-category. I don't tend to care for marriage of convenience/arranged marriage storylines unless it is historically accurate, and I dislike "secret baby". Otherwise, I read everything. Probably why I have started six novels in the last two years, and have scrapped them all before the fifth chapter.

I read romance because it soothes me. It makes me feel good, when so much else on the planet is in the handbasket and descending fast, to have an hour or two of entertainment. The good guys always win, the girl gets the boy, the boy gets the girl, and the bad guy just gets it.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 69 members 385 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: