Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Wrapping Up the Writing Romance Book Club

[ Edited ]
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who has participated in Writing Romance over the past few months! It looks like there were some great conversations here, and we hope you learned a lot about the genre. We’d also like to say thank you to your moderator, Leigh Michaels. Her expertise and enthusiasm for this book club have been invaluable!

This group will run until May 31, after which it will live in Recent Discussions.

Many of you may wonder why we’re making this change. The simple answer is that we're tying to make the best fit for us, for Gotham, and of course for the particpants here. We believe we've spread the conversation out into too many groups, which has has made the back and forth not as lively as we need.

And so, with that in mind, we're thrilled to be able to announce a new approach in what is now the Writing Fiction Book Club. This weekend, Writing Fiction will become The Writing Room, an open conversation about the craft of writing in all its genres (including nonfiction and memoir) and a place for you to continue to post your work for peer review. Gotham’s Brandi Reissenweber will continue to be the moderator of this book club, and will post new topics every week that will get and keep our creative juices flowing. We'll talk about what makes us write, what stops us from writing, and how to get the most from the craft. We hope you come on over beginning Monday to explore this new discussion.

In addition, we’re happy to announce the coming debut of a new Book Club: Getting Published. Led by Susan Driscoll of iUniverse, this is the place to learn and ask advice about the often overwhelming world of publishing. The new Getting Published book club will launch on June 4.

So keep writing -- and thanks again!

Message Edited by Jessica on 05-24-2007 05:09 PM

Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

Re: Wrapping Up the Writing Romance Book Club

[ Edited ]
As Jessica has announced, the romance writing book club will cease operating as of May 31.

I’ve really enjoyed the five months I’ve spent with you all, and I regret that the book club is ending. Nobody likes to see the end of the romance writing forum. We are all very aware of your interest, your loyalty, and your level of excitement about the subject of writing romance.

I am considering potential ways to offer another romance-writing forum sometime in the future. If you’d like to be certain to receive notification of any future plans or opportunities, please visit my website at www.leighmichaels.com and sign up for my email newsletter. I will also post news on the website, so an occasional visit will also let you know what’s going on.

One opportunity that will definitely continue is the Gotham Writers Workshop romance writing classes. If you’ve enjoyed this forum, I hope you’ll consider going on at Gotham, where the classes are small and there’s feedback from the instructor on every assignment. You can learn more at www.writingclasses.com (and yes, I’m the instructor for Gotham classes as well). You can use the promo code: BN50-RM to get a $50 discount on your first 10-week class. Enter the promo code at the online registration form, or you can call Gotham to register over the phone (toll-free at 877-974-8377).

In the meantime, I'll still be checking in here until the official end date on May 31.

Happy writing,
Leigh

Message Edited by LeighMichaels on 05-24-200703:09 PM

Frequent Contributor
Ch-Janet
0 Kudos

Oh yes, Leigh, please offer another forum. I know...We could perhaps have a thread on e-Harlequin seeing as you're one of their top authors. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
ChristineM
0 Kudos

Well, this is tragic. This was one of my daily internet stops even when I didn't post. I've been hanging out at Gather.com and there's a pretty good romance critique group there. I'm also game if anybody wants to migrate to another forum. I know I need the occasional kick in the pants and / or what were you thinking.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi,

Thanks again for your enthusiasm for Writing Romance, everyone. I know you'll miss Leigh as much as we will.

Just a reminder that you can still talk about Romance in The Writing Room, which we're certain will be a vibrant conversation about all writing in all genres.

And to that end, even though this board will still be available in the Recent Discussions category, if there are any active threads in this board that you'd like us to move to The Writing Room, let us know. Just send a Private Message to BillP, copy and paste a link to the thread, and we'll see to it that your conversation reaches the audience in The Writing Room.

But don't forget that you can start a new message in The Writing Room about any topic under the sun. It's a more open discussion, so you have the power to choose what you talk about.

Hope to see you there!

Message Edited by BillP on 05-25-2007 12:32 PM

Frequent Contributor
dixielandgrl
0 Kudos

Just wanted to say it's been awesome. I will try try try so hard to take a Gotham class soon. You have all been so great. Leigh, you are an excellent instructor considering this was a book club. lol

See you around Gather, I hope.
"If all would lead their lives in love like me,
Then bloody swords and armor should not be:" Thomas Campion
Frequent Contributor
lavenderlass
0 Kudos

This group has been wonderful, I've really enjoyed it. It's so good I'm going to make sure I'm on that next Gotham course. See you there Dixie I hope.

Lynne.
Frequent Contributor
LeighMichaels
0 Kudos

As we come to the last day, I just wanted to say once again how much I've enjoyed the time we've spent together in the Romance Writing Book Club. Good luck to all of you with your writing -- and if at any time I can be of help, you'll find me at www.leighmichaels.com or by writing leigh@leighmichaels.com.

Happy writing!
Leigh
Author
RachelleChase
0 Kudos

Hi Leigh,

I'm sorry to see the Writing Romance Book Club go. :-( I've enjoyed my short time here and want to say thank you for having me as a guest. It was fun - and a treat to be able to chat with fellow romance readers and writers about sex scenes, sexual tensions, and the like. So thank you, also, to those of you who participated and made me feel welcome.

I can't say enough great things about Leigh's Gotham class, which I mentioned earlier that I'd taken several times. Leigh really helped me learn how to write - and to become published. I've also used her critiquing service and highly recommend both!

So thanks, again, to Leigh, Jessica, and those of you who stopped by to visit. Much success to everyone with their writing!

Best,
Rachelle
www.RachelleChase.com
www.FindingDerek.com
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 297 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: