Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
demann
0 Kudos

Finding Ideas -- Writing Exercise

My brother is often my sounding board and the source of some of my writing ideas. He can't write, as it doesn't fit his personality at all, so we discuss many things and I often get great ideas from our discussions. Everything from socio-political SF to fantastic worlds. This is not to say that I do not have ideas of my own, because most of my writings ARE my own ideas, but he does inspire me to create. This week we discussed ways to end the world in SF.

again...here goes...

"Pig Guys"

The 'Pig Guys' are massive alien creatures that are nearly indestructible. They cannot be shot, poisoned, burned or suffocated. Their bodies are so resilient and tough that they can even survive the vacuum of deep space for extended periods. In order to kill them, they must be blown up by massive explosions.

They were discovered by the 'Green Guys', who were explorers. They landed on the Pig Guys' planet and were immediately enslaved. The pigs were not a space-faring race until then. They used the tech from the Greens to begin conquering other planets.

Pig Guys can eat almost anything, including trees, some metals, animals, stone, etc. They are also huge creatures. Greens don't taste good, so the Pigs just use them to explore planets for food and resources. The Greens are relatively content, because they get to explore. Greens also collect and catalog samples of all creatures they come in contact with. The Greens help the Pigs discover Earth.

Humans don't taste great either, though Pigs won't hesitate to eat them if they misbehave.

Pigs live in massive mud hollows.

Earth is devastated and mankind enslaved as a labor force for the next exploration goal, digging through the great "Ice Wall" that seems to block all movement. Seems to be infinitely long, wide, and deep, and there are actually planets 'frozen' into it. The Pigs want through to the other side. One of the properties of the 'wall' is that it bends light around from 'behind' it so that it is practically invisible from further out than a couple of light-years.

This is the story of the remnants of mankind (and some other species, too) and their struggle to survive.

The damage from the Pigs cannot be reversed and Earth is, essentially, gone. The remnants of Man must get by without a homeworld, or any hope at all of escaping the Pig Guys.
"...Not All Who Wander are Lost..."
Frequent Contributor
marta_randall
0 Kudos

Re: Finding Ideas -- Writing Exercise

This background is so interesting that I am tempted to think that the story of the remnants of mankind would be lost in it. That's the thing about big-background stories: you need to think up a strong and enticing story line to match.

So that's your next step: focus down on individual characters and individual struggles. And keep this in mind: the people in your story don't necessarily have to be human. What if a Green decided that helping the pigs was wrong? What if a pig decided that?
Contributor
demann
0 Kudos

Re: Finding Ideas -- Writing Exercise

Hehehe...I have looked at the scale of the background, and found it a little daunting! The canvas is definitely big enough to do a LOT of stories based in this universe, but I am not sure I am big enough to fill it hehehe. This one is at the concept stage, but may see the pointy side of my virtual pen (or cursor, as the case may be).

I think that the possibility of losing the remnants of mankind in the background noise of the universe may be one of the concept's most appealing points. They ARE actually lost in the mass of other 'slave' species controlled by the Pigs...we'll only get to see their struggles against that background.

Humans, no matter how downtrodden, will still rebel, even if they're fairly small and ultimately ineffective rebellions.

Thanks, Marta! More feedback would be cool, when I get around to this one :smileyhappy:

DeMann
"...Not All Who Wander are Lost..."
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,207 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: