Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
marta_randall
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourselves

Introduce yourself to the group! Have you tried writing this genre before? What do you like about it? If you haven't tried writing science fiction or fantasy before, let us know why you're interested in the genre. What are some of your favorite sci fi novels and authors? Do you have a favorite sub-genre?
New User
lopsidedstar
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Well, since no-one has introduced themselves yet... I'm Aileen! I'm nineteen years old. I've always read fantasy and wanted to be a writer... However I lack faith in myself and my... well in me. Also I think I lack the ego that a lot of writers tend to have in their autobiographies. So there it is! All thats needed to know, I believe?
New User
tbwhitt
0 Kudos

Re: Tim

Hello my name is Tim. I live in the greater PHilly area and am a father of 4. I ahve been writing for a number of years mostly business related how to's. I just started in the last six months writing sci fi and fantasy. I love to write fantasy and science fiction becasue you can create your own worlds, characters and what ever else you want. I like science fiction and fantasy because literally the sky is the limit. I hope to learn how to learn form the group on how to craft better and more detailed stories. I look forward to working with all of you. To me some of the best science fiction is Asimov, Alan Dean Foster and others. These are the writers I would love to craft my stories after.
Frequent Contributor
LadyNyteLyte
0 Kudos

Hi I am Rosemarie and living in Colorado. I read a lot and a number of years ago started a young adult fantasy book .... have all the chapter outlines, maps, species description and the first 5 I think chapters done .... everytime I try to put it on puter I have a different one and have to start all over .... the poor first chapter has been rewritten at least 6 times ... is this a rut or what?

Back in my early 20's wrote a couple of romances and even submitted one to a number of publishers ... never got printed but got a number of encouraging responses .... lost the book in one of my moves.

I am trying to get motivated again and hope discussion group will help.

Hi everybody.
Contributor
Cluecorner
0 Kudos

My name is Karla and I've had a book in my head for four years and it won't go away. I'm here to perform an exorcism. When I was young, I always thought that some day I would write science fiction/fantasy novels, and here I am nearly 30 years later, finally getting around to it.

My tastes in fiction have changed a lot over the years. I started as a hard science fiction bigot - none of that smarmy elf stuff for me. As time went on, I discovered good fantasy writing and dumped the hard stuff. Later, I found out about urban fantasy and realized it was what I had been looking for all along. It's what I want to write.

I'm here because I'm hoping to make the transition from a reader to a writer. I've read voraciously all these years, and know what works and what doesn't, but I haven't taken the time to find out why. The idea I've been carrying around in my head has very complicated mechanics behind it, and I need to find a way to tell my story without resorting to exposition and other boring tricks. I also need to make sure my characters are as alive for my readers as they are for me. My "voice" needs work as well. I know what I want it to be, and can maintain it for short bursts, but it goes all gooshy on me after a while.

If I can accomplish any of those goals in this workshop, I'd be very happy.
New User
11nine73
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Helen, I'm 33 and I live in Manchester in the UK. I've always prefered science fiction and fantasy over other genres because you can just lose yourself in another world.

I have been working on a science fiction novel for the January Novel Writing Month challenge and I'm just about on target to hit my aim of 25,000 words (half the novel). Hopefully, I'll be able to keep pushing myself and complete it.
Helen
New User
cr8tivemischief
0 Kudos

Hello. I’m Daryl and I live in Mississippi. I have read science fiction since my early teens and am a fan of true science works more than fantasy, although I enjoy Robert Asprin’s Phule’s series and other similar spoofs.

I have wanted to be a writer all my life but due to some unfortunate criticism I have lost my nerve. I am hoping this group will help me get my drive back.
Contributor
seekingreader
0 Kudos

Hello to all. My name is Jim and I post to this site from Phoenix.

I've been reading SF since the "Golden Age" of the 1950's. I always wished that I could write and create those fantastic worlds that I was reading of created by Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Simak, Anderson, McCaffrey, and others - and knew I could not! A few years ago I decided to take a couple of classes and see if one could learn how "writers" did their magical thing. I haven't yet discovered how those magicians perform their mysterious craft, but I am definitely enjoying the voyage of exploration and discovery.

I have started several different works in varying genres, but have not yet found the inspiration to start anything I would call SF, though I have been playing with one short-short in an alternate history vein.

Looking forward to interesting discussions and much learning.
New User
sparky2955
0 Kudos

Hello, all. I'm Susan and I live on Maryland's Eastern Shore. I am a professional editorial writer (newspaper) but have always loved to read fiction, including sci-fi, although seem to prefer some of the older stuff to some of the more fantasy-oriented themes. I do have a story in mind and I believe I am finally ready to try writing it, and I hope to be able to make the transition from the real world of voicing and moderating opinions to fiction and sci-fi, which I believe is where my concept belongs.
New User
enufwork
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourselves

Hello.

I have published in the scientific literature (physics and medicine) but not fiction. I'm a research oriented M.D., Ph.D. who has been reading sf forever and occasionally dabbled at writing as a pleasant distraction. I'm now putting the finishing touches on a non-fiction book that took four months to put on paper, and would like the next serious writing project to be an sf novel that I've been kicking around in my head.

Best regards to everyone,

Rick
New User
vmm918
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm Vanessa, a psychotherapist in private practice in the Atlanta area...I have been in love with speculative fiction/fantasy for many years. I have an idea for a novel that uses the world of dzjinn (jinn or genies) as its home. I have been looking for a support group for the writing process....I hope this is it...
New User
kingrat
0 Kudos

Hi, all. I’m Jon, living outside Raleigh, North Carolina. I’ll read nearly any genre, but have a penchant for SF. My current top three authors are China Miéville, Neal Stephenson and Gene Wolfe; but I also have books on my shelf such as Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin novels, Cormac McArthy’s Road and some of Caleb Carr’s stuff. Books I have packed away (but can’t bear to lose) include a lot of Lovecraft’s work, a complete collection of Sherlock Holmes, Gulliver’s Travels and Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass. I also have several shelves of a variety of science, math, computer programming, and military history books.

I have several scenes and settings in my head, but none of them really connect with each other, and I haven’t been able to leverage any of them into anything of story length, so I’d like for this group to help me flesh out my ideas. Also, I tend toward a rather formal writing style—I’ve a strong sense of How English Should Be Used. It feels pretentious sometimes, which isn’t what I want, so I need some practice writing somewhat less formally, despite the pain it will cause :smileywink:

(Ack~! I’ll never get used to smiley-conversion.)
hwk
New User
hwk
0 Kudos

I'm glad to see a section for writers devoted to SF. I'm Helmuth, have just recently tried my hand at writing SF short stories. One completed, two in progress. I started reading mags like Azimov's and thought "I could do this!"

Looking forward to the discussions...
Frequent Contributor
WriterJim
0 Kudos

Hi All:

My name is Jim from Orlando, Florida. I'm fifty-four years old and a language arts teacher and a writer. At one time I wrote training and technical documents for a living at a large entertainment company here (you can probably guess which one if I tell you it's the biggest one in town) and was, for a time, a freelance writer specializing in interviews for AAAS's Next Wave web feature. I also wrote a mainstream novel for my master's thesis and it was published--two copies, one for me, one for the college library.

I've been reading and enjoying sf since the sixth grade and writing it for almost that long, but not in a serious way until 2001. Teaching takes up most of my time, but I still write when I can, and submit to magazines on occasion, and it would be nice to pick up more skills in reaching an sf audience that would lead to publication. That's my reason for trying out this new list.
New User
Cena
0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Cena and I enjoy writing science fiction and fantasy for children and young adults (anywhere from ages 10 to 17). I'm 38 (going on 12...I'm a kid at heart), a Mississipi girl, divorced, have a wonderful 7 year old daughter and have been a writer since the early years of 5 or 6, though only publishing a poem and a song (when I was 17, under a pseudonym)...never quite having the nerve/self esteem to go further with publication. I am currently taking an online creative writing course from the Institute of Children's Literature.

I know we can all learn from each other and sound our ideas off one another, give and receive constructive criticism and make some new friends along the way. I look forward to chatting with each one of you, learning from you and helping each other with our attempts at writing, whatever it is we decide to write.

Glad to meet you. :smileywink:
Cena
New User
Scribe
0 Kudos

Hi, all. My name is Becky, and I live in New Mexico. I love reading everything but have always leaned more towards SF&F. My favorite authors are Frank Herbert, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Tolkien. I've recently picked up a couple of books from Jack McDevitt and am really enjoying his writing also.

I started writing a couple of years ago. I've finished a few short stories and 3 novels (2 soft sf and 1 contemporary fiction) but haven't published anything yet, although not for lack of trying. I've participated in online writing groups before and am trying to find one that fits.

I look forward to getting to know everybody and reading your work!
New User
totoups
0 Kudos

I'm Trina, and I am having my first year of stay at home mom with all 3 kids in school all day. I actually really started writing one of my ideas for a book the other day. I particularly admire Patricia Briggs (fantasy) because she writes well, and manages to finish a story in one or at most two moderate sized volumes. I'd like to write as well, rather than huge fat trilogies. I don't know what's good in S.F. lately, so suggestions to read would be welcome.
mkm
New User
mkm
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm Marti, a veterinarian. I have been reading SF/fantasy since the 60's. I have periodically had a desire to write but keep being overwhelmed by the blank page. Parts of stories or scenes run through my head, but never get onto paper. The thought of writing dialogue causes me to hide under the covers. It is all fear, but I don't have an idea of how to get started. I am hoping that being a part of a group will help me make a start.

This is such a great idea. Thanks B&N
New User
QIbHom
0 Kudos

Hello to all, my name is Elisa. I am a 35-year-old homeschooling mother of two. Which translates into not having a lot of my own time, but I have managed to complete a full outline and nine chapters of my first book.

I spent my jr high/high school years in advanced literature classes that had me reading all the "classics," and my college degrees are German Lang & Lit and Russian Lang & Lit. Talk about dark and boring - no wonder my recreational preference is fantasy and scifi!

My current project is a non-magical, quasi-medieval fantasy novel geared towards a teen audience, although my hope is that it is engaging enough that it will be entertaining for adults as well. I am incorporating elements for a single sequel, but I am not currently planning a trilogy.

I also have one-page synopses for three other stories that could take a variety of forms, though all are less "epic" in nature than the one I am writing now.

Unfortunately, I have gotten to the point where I am having a hard time reading my work, as I have read it TOO MANY TIMES, and I am definitely losing fresh perspective. I am in the process of doing some cleaning up so that I can print it up and send it out to a couple of my readers.

I am looking forward to sharing ideas and experiences, and learning much!

-Elisa
New User
dpryciak
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
My name is D'Arcy Pryciak (yes, my real name). I live in Michigan and I've been concocting stories pretty much my entire life, some of which still survive in some elements in my current plots.

I mostly write fantasy, but I dabble in the Now also. My first non-fantasy short story was published in "Any Dreams Will Do," about a young man's relationship with a local college crazy. I've got some poems out there, two fantasy shorts, and I came in 6th place in the young fiction short story contest with Writers Digest magazine. I proudly proclaim I was published in "Tales of the Talisman," a story called "In Need of a Hero," which stars one of my planned series-novel characters, Kora, in a stand-alone tale. Another tale was in "Armchair Aesthete," called "Mule Boy," set in another world I created, populated by beastfolk and humans, which is an offshoot from another book I am writing.

I've got dozens in my head, from sci-fi (softly techie), fantasy (magic, mayhem, and mischief), to the occult-style that is a mix between the two with dashes of religion.

I'm 29 years old, and have been working on my projects since high school, no closer to the end than before, even though the ideas pile. I've got dozens others planned, fantasy and non-fantasy alike,...but there is this reluctance to start, and this fear to finish (I hate ending projects).

Otherwise, I work in a dead-end clerk job, married for almost seven years to a IT guy, am currently pregnant with our first child, and have two dogs, four cats, and a yard that is half-dead, even in the summer. I graduated from Eastern Michigan University in 1999 with two majors: English and American Literature and Language, and History (focus on the ancients). I recently graduated with an MBA in marketing from Baker's online college.

Books I read? Shards, my shelves are coated with books...McCaffrey, Lackey, Stascheff (Wizard in Rhyme series), Eddings (who started it all for me), M. Bohnhoff, J. Carey, and K. Elliott (recently). I also make sure to read a lot of history texts, as well as cultural readings (mythos, legends, etc).

Message Edited by dpryciak on 01-27-200701:35 PM

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 609 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: