Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jocelyn777
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Hi,

My name is Jocelyn. I am a psychologist and beginning fiction writer living in Detroit.I just found this science fiction writer's book club this afternoon online. Hence, I am just now joining the group. I look forward to being a part of this workshop.
Contributor
bwfollet
0 Kudos

My name is Brad, I'm 22 and I've been writing since high school mostly fantasy type stories, and recently I've been writing more sci-fi stories. I am coming on a bit late since I just discovered this site whilst browsing the book store one night and found a sheet of paper advertising on-line book clubs and I thought I'd check it out. What I like about science fiction is that it gives the writer more room to play around and express ideas one can't readily explain or express in non-science fiction.
Some of my favorite authors and books include: Lord of the Rings by Tolkien, Dune by Frank Herbert, Chronicles of Narnia by Lewis, I like a lot of the Philip Dick stories such as Minority Report, Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep, A scanner Darkly. I also like Heinlen such as Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land, and The moon is a harsh mistress. I'm not a big fan of hard sci-fi but I do like Ben Bova's stories. I can't really say I have a favorite sub-genre, as long as it's well written and has a good story I like it.
Frequent Contributor
MasterWolfStar
0 Kudos

Hello group,

I am a 44 year old male that has never really tried to write anything before but then you have to start somewhere I suppose.

As far as why science fiction, I have always loved science fiction movies and books. Some of my favorite writers are Allen Dean Foster, Robert Asprin, Stephen King, Asimov, Ann McCaffery, Margeret Wies, just to name a few.

Two of my favorite novels are actually series, one is the Myth-Adventures by Robert Asprin and the other is the Death Gate which was co-authered by Margeret Wies (can't remember who worked on those with her).

My favorite sub-genre is fantisy but I love anything with a sense of humor to it.
LT
New User
LT
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm a really late newcomer. I've always been interested in fantasy and writing. I've written a middle grade fantasy book, but I'm still unpublished. I'm currently working on another fantasy novel. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing in this forum.
Reader 2
Ross_Maybee
0 Kudos

Looks like I'm yet another latecomer. I've been lurking for the past couple weeks, trying to figure out if I can balance some creative writing with my last semester in college. Since senioritis has been hitting me pretty hard lately, I figure I might as well channel some of that wasted time into something useful, right?

I was born and raised in Florida, but have spent the last seven years living in Georgia and New York. I'm 25 years old, and after graduation this spring I'll be entering the Army as a lieutenant. Interests include skydiving, running, history, martial arts, theater, rock climbing, art, and pretty much anything that keeps me outdoors.

I've been a lifelong reader of speculative fiction. I like everything in the genre, though I do tend to prefer something with at least a little plot over some of the more artistic offerings out there. I grew up reading everything from E.R. Burroughs to William Gibson. Some of my life-defining books include Ender's Game, Starship Troopers, and Dune. Lately I've been enjoying some classics (Asimov, Card, Heinlein) as well as some newer stuff (Jim Butcher, C.J. Cherryh).

I wrote some hard SF and fantasy back in high school. I took a look at it recently and was appalled by its quality. Now that I'm more polished as a writer in general, I'd like to see what I can do specifically in SF.
Reader
palebluestar
0 Kudos

Hello out there.

My name is Paul. I see there are a lot of interesting people here, with quite varied backgrounds. It looks as though there are a lot of intelligent people registered. I believe this is not unusual for science fiction readers.

I have been a voracious reader of science fiction for most of my life. I have tried writing on and off, but I was blocked. I loved to read and had ideas, but writing just
came hard.

My background is science and computing.

I think I may have broken my block. I have over a hundred thousand words of a novel written. I'd like to bounce it off some people. I don't know if this web site is a proper place for this. It is humorous/satirical. The basic idea is, what would happen if the government, or most any government, developed time travel. The results are not pretty. I don't think this is a gem to be remembered for all time, but I do think it is publishable. Maybe I'm wrong.
Frequent Contributor
Jayna_D
0 Kudos

Hey, I'm Jayna. I started out over in the writing Ficton group, but zman told me about you alls here, so I'm jumping in. Fantasy is my genere of choice. I've been writing for years and I've finished a few--of course nothing has gone into print, but those who read them like them. I just enjoy writing and I always have a story in mind. To be honest, there's a new one I'm working on and I have it in the other other group, but zman suggested I come share it with you too. Hopefully I can get some god feed back and I look forward to reading some other fun stories here. :smileyhappy:
New User
SciFiGuy
0 Kudos

Hi Marta!

My name is Marty Stephens. I have been in Marta's SF writing classes off and on for about 4 years now. Nowhere have I seen such enthusiasm for the subject and such nurturing of the craft as Marta gives.

My writing experience includes a first level Mystery writing class at Gotham and 6 (yes that's 6) SF classes at Gotham including level 1 and 5 level 2 classes.

Family issues prevented me from spending much time writing, but the fire of desire is still there.

Glad to "see" you again, Marta.

Marty
Frequent Contributor
marta_randall
0 Kudos

Hey, Marty, good to see you here. Jump in, the water's fine.
New User
LiquidShadow
0 Kudos

Hey my name is Bridget is am in high school at the moment but I love to write. I have been writing for longer than I remember and I have always liked making new places and worlds. I have never tried or ever really read Science Fiction but I do read and I love to write fantasy. At the moment I am trying to write something book length and I am so glad I found a book club to join!
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
Frequent Contributor
Noir
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Everyone, My name is Leigh. I'm 35 and I live in Atlanta. I've enjoyed reading science fiction, fantasy and anime since I was old enough to choose books for myself. I enjoy writing, but I never had the confidence to pursue my passion until now. I've taken a few writing courses over the years, but I'm happy to see a place devoted to the genres I love. I have this great idea for a sci-fi novel. Now, I need help organizing all of the thoughts in my head. I look forward to the discussions and the criticism.

A few of my favorite books are "Mists of Avalon", "The Last Herald-Mage series", "Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead", "Dune", and "Lord of the Rings" Currently, I'm reading "Cyteen" by C.J. Cherryh.

I would also love any recommendations for books to read that fall under what I call "fiery sci-fi" -- science fiction with strong characters in intense relationships with major fire power trying to survive amongst the tech, ships and space stations.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Leigh

Message Edited by Noir on 03-08-200710:21 PM

Frequent Contributor
Muse_of_Ire
0 Kudos

Hi, Noir. You couldn't do better than to read Marta's Dangerous Games -- interstellar intrigue, alien/human relations, family drama, and romance. You might also be interested in the work of Ann Maxwell. I particularly recommend A Dead God Dancing and Name of a Shadow.
Frequent Contributor
WriterJim
0 Kudos

Hi Noir:

Since you're already reading Cherryh, try her Chanur series for all those elements you crave--it's got them all, and an alien cast, too, trying to make sense of the new human presence in their part of space. There are space stations, space battles, and plot-twists galore. CJ Cherryh is one of the best plotters I know of; her work is always immensely entertaining.

The series begins with _The Pride of Chanur_. Enjoy.
Frequent Contributor
Noir
0 Kudos

WriterJim and Muse thanks for the recommendations.

I just ordered "Dangerous Games" and I will start the Chanur series as soon as I finish "Cyteen". Now, I have to go and spend some time on my writing assignment.
New User
Trusilver
0 Kudos

Hi everybody!
I have not participated in these discussions before, but I hope it will help me get back on track. I have written a couple books and a number of short stories, but I haven't tried having anything published. I guess I lack self confidence. I love reading books of all kinds, but especially science fiction and fantasy. The stories I write tend to be more science fantasy than fact, but it's the possibilities that both genres allow that draw me to them. I am approaching a change in my life, and I want writing to be a much larger part of it. I hope I can get my writing started up again, and maybe, just maybe, get something published. Good writing, all. Beth
New User
Belle
0 Kudos

I live in Maryland and travel frequently to Florida. I am arriving late to this writing club and am trying to catch up. I have been a writer wannabe for most all my life, but now I am putting fingers to keyboard and really focusing on it, in spite of a full time, stressful job. I just finished the first short story i have ever sent out for publication. I have the next one started. My initial goal is to complete one or two a month.
New User
Salamander
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi, my name is Debbie and I am in my 40's.

I have just found this group and look forward to all that I can learn from it. And the new friends I will make, who have the same interest.

I have always read Science fiction and fantasy. I started with Andre Norton at the tender age of eleven, she got me hooked on it. So, thinking I have read so much of it, I thought why not try writing it. I started a book and have so far completed 300 pages. Then I got distracted! But now it is time to try writing again. I feel that some structure and constructive feedback will help me reach my goal of a book. With that in mind, I am forward to hearing some feedback on what I write.

Some of my favorite authors are David Webber,CJ Cherryh,John Ringo and Eric Flint just to name a few.

Message Edited by Salamander on 03-17-200712:42 AM

Message Edited by Salamander on 03-17-200712:57 AM

Contributor
demann
0 Kudos

Heh...I knew by your name that you were a Weber fan :smileyhappy: Welcome!
"...Not All Who Wander are Lost..."
New User
DesertDan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
My name is Dan; I'm 42, and on active duty in the Navy. On the first day of Spring, 2007, I'll be leaving the US, heading for Iraq. This will no doubt limit my participation for a while, but in my spare time I will think of story ideas, and when not writing letters and emails to family, hope to do some writing to share here, and later on hopefully publish it. I will return to the US in the Fall, and retire from the Navy next Spring.

I have B.A. degrees in both Government and Politics (1992) and English (1998). My profile says all the rest I have to say publicly about myself. Oh, I'm not really Southern by birth, but have come to love living in the Old South and being with fellow Southerners. That fact will be apparent in much of my fiction work, I'm sure.

I've written short stories in college classes before that were well received, but that's the extent of my writing attempts. I have never tried writing SF, though I've spent a lifetime reading it (among other things). I am now interested in writing in the Military SF sub-genre. So, I am very excited to discover this writer's forum exists. I love the format, and look forward to participating and reading many of your works, sharing opinions, appreciation of our better efforts, recommendations, and other feedback in discussions with all of you.

Cheers,
Dan

Message Edited by DesertDan on 03-17-200711:33 PM

Frequent Contributor
WriterJim
0 Kudos

Welcome, Dan.

And best of luck in your rotation to Iraq. We look forward to hearing from you on the subject of military sf.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 463 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: