Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
conrad66
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Good Afternoon; My username Conrad66,my real name Conrad. Please excuse me as I am totally well close ...LOST... I was inquiring about the old B&N University and was directed here. I want to know about the old classes Herbs Astrology etc etc. Is there a section where this type of learning class is taking place...SORRY to bring this up here but back to the ..LOST>>part how about a little direction and Thank You very Much Conrad

I am a boat captain and prefer Sailing vessels. I was a Cpt on a tourist pyrate boat(gaff rigged top sail schooner) for five years. Love the ocean and nature and boats. Love Sci Fi and many other types of reading. I will continue this later must catch a boat as my pyrate crew is waiting for some pilage and pleasures......... PLEASE help me out here with some help and direction thank YOu once again TSP conrad
Frequent Contributor
marta_randall
0 Kudos

Conrad, you can find the FAQ and some help stuff here: Questions. I wish I could offer more help, but I don't know the answers to your questions. Good luck.
New User
Simorgya
0 Kudos

Hi, I’m Greg, I’m 50, and have been programming computers for 30 of those. I call Memphis home, after wandering in other parts of the country. I’m married with three children and one grandchild.

I didn’t find Science Fiction as a genre until I reached college age, when I found both Science Fiction and Fantasy. I devoured Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Heinlein and Herbert through college and into my early 20’s. However, at that point I gravitated to fantasy and have been there ever since, with only the very occasional foray into Science Fiction. The list of my favorite fantasy authors is too long to list.

It sounds trite and may be de rigueur for this forum, but I’ve had ideas for stories kicking around in my head for years. My stories have resided there exclusively until just recently. A few months ago, one of them started moving to my hands, and I started putting words to paper. I’m not satisfied with my ability to put together readable words, paragraphs and chapters yet, and that’s where I hope to get help from this group. I know that I can form sentences, write words and create, but I also know that my skills are rough and not ready for prime-time. My writing is slow and deliberate. I don’t dash off words; I have to extract them. It’s a good thing they grow back. I do enjoy writing, I enjoy creating and I enjoy telling the story. But the story doesn’t come quickly to me; it comes easily, just not quickly.

I hope that I haven't joined too late, and that you will bear with me as I cycle through the exercises that may now seem passe to you now.

Greg
Contributor
Griff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome Simorgya. Glad to see another programmer who probably leaves out all the vowels in a sentence also.

boolHpU_Fnd_It_prdctv2=-1 :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Griff on 05-15-200705:50 PM

Griff
New User
luckyme
0 Kudos

hi everybody real busy -----------
so did you read my book lately?
its called shirley brown book of poetry
I found out if you browze around you can get it cheaper.
so please go look at it. right now I think target has it cheaper.
shirley brown
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

That idea sounds great!!! Please share the basic plot!!!
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

I also love Libba Bray!!! I can hardly wait for her next book in the Great and Terrible Beauty trilogy, The Sweet Far Thing. I highly recommend...

Larklight by Phillip Reeve: "Dickens in outer space". PLot: Art Mumby and his sister Myrtle encounter vicious white spiders who take over their home, Larklight, and kidnap their father in an alternate British Empire based in outer space. Sequel: Starcross.
Chronicles of Chrestomanci by Diana Wynne Jones: Charmed Life is the first book, followed by (chronologically) The Lives of Christopher Chant, The Magicians of Caprona, Witch Week, Conrad's Fate and The Pinhoe Egg. Plot:Chrestomanci, a sort of policeman for witches, wizards, etc., is a nine-lifed enchanter. Chrestomanci is a title, not a name. There are several different plotlines throughout the series, the first of which involves a megalomaniacal witch and her strongly magical brother.
The Alchemyst by Michael Scott: First in a series. Plot: Twins become involved in an ancient rivalry between two alchemysts: Nicholas Flamel (HP fans will recognize the name) and John Dee.
City of Ember (and sequels) by Jeanne Duprau: Two young citizens of an underground city search for an escape route before the city's electricity runs out.
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
The Enchanted Castle by E.Nesbit
The Harry Potter Books by J.K. Rowling
The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull by John Bellairs
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 485 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: