Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Talon_Radden
0 Kudos

"Death is Sweet"?

ok, so i have been working on the chocolate story that everyone liked. I was thinking about "Death is Sweet" as a possible title but it might be too sinister.This is the begining and i will add more of it on later. =D

Lena was asleep, or atleast she told herself she was asleep. No matter how hard she tried she could never sleep because there was a consistent wheezing in the back of her mind. "No," She whispered to herself, "thats just mom in the back room, trying to sleep like i am. We're failing miserably."
I have to stop lieing to myself, she thaught. Mom is really sick now, she has been bedridden for a week and i can't afford her medicine or groceries. If mom dies, she thaught... If mom dies i don't think i will have much of a future either.
Lena's thaughts were temporarily stopped by a cough and a moan. She knew that tomorrow she would have to go to that old witch for help. Lena dreaded the thaught but at this point, knew there were no other options
"I prefer peace because too many wars have been faught in my mind already."
Frequent Contributor
book_worm
0 Kudos

Re: "Death is Sweet"?

I *love* the Death is Sweet title! :smileyhappy:

I don't think its too sinister at all! I know you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover and all that; but really its the Titles that will catch my eye when I'm in a book store with a bajillion other books that want me to buy them :smileywink: That and the art on the front cover.. I know I'm breaking that law :smileysurprised:

Good start to your story, it catches the readers interest. I liked hearing Lena's thoughts, so good job getting her personality across. You made some grammatical errors but those can be fixed easy. You could also put some more description in it, I know Lena is supposed to be asleep but I want to see the world she is in. Maybe describe the place that the old witch lives? A swampy marsh? Up the haunted hill? Something like that :smileywink:

Can't wait to see more! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
marta_randall
0 Kudos

Talon, it's a good start. However, characters talking to themselves always sound a little awkward. Why not try this in the first person? Please forgive me for meddling with your story, but for example:
I was trying to sleep, but no matter how hard I tried the wheezing in the back of my mind kept me awake. It was Mom, in the back room, also unable to sleep. It was time to stop fooling myself. Mom had been sick for a week, bedridden, and I couldn't afford her medicines or groceries.

It makes the story more immediate. However, if the rest of the story doesn't take place in Lena's head, then sticking with third person is a good option, as long as that opening gets smoothed a little:
Lena was asleep, or at least she told herself she was asleep. No matter how hard she tried she could never sleep because there was a consistent wheezing in the back of her mind. She knew it was Mom, in the back room, also failing at being asleep.

She realized that she had to stop lying to herself. Her mom was really sick, bedridden for a week, and Lena couldn't afford medicine or even groceries. If her mom died...

Mom coughed and moaned. Lena knew that tomorrow she would have to go to that old witch for help. There were no other options.
Contributor
Talon_Radden
0 Kudos

Thank you for all of your helpfull advice!
"I prefer peace because too many wars have been faught in my mind already."
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 628 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: