Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Talon_Radden
0 Kudos

this is more fantasy the scifi

this is more fantasy then sci fi, sorry i cheated a little bit i just couldn't wait for a fantasy board to open up. these are two different ideas, please be honest!!!

its called the chronicles of a pearl key.the main character, willium is suddenly set off on a quest to deliver a strange but beautifull pearl key to a woman whose only directiond were to follow the setting sun. Willium does not understand anything about the key or why he must deliver it, but his parents (who told him to take the key to this starnge lady) told him he would come to understand everything in time. While traveling through the forest Willium comes to find friends like the beautifull girl with green eyes and feathers in her hair named Talon who can heal almost any wound. He also meets an older boy named Radden who steals from the gypsies, and that has the power to see perfectly well in the dark and the sideaffect that bright lights could kill him. AS the three travel, willium comes to encounter strange creatures that appear to be magical that are attracted to the key. Who is this strange woman and what is the deal with this key?

the next one is a little more new so i dont have all the kinks worked out yet.

its about a little girl whose mother is terribly ill so she goes to an old witch in search for help. the wich decides to help her...kinda. the wich gives the girl a small golden sack of choclates and tells her that each one will do somthing different. one could turn her toungue purple, or send her to another demension, or maybe even kill her, but one of them will cure her mother. Will she take the risk to save her mom? no one knows, but one thing is for sure, you will never look at chocolate the same way again.

thanks for reading, and sorry its not all that sci fi!
"I prefer peace because too many wars have been faught in my mind already."
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Re: this is more fantasy the scifi

They both sound good to me- but I love fantasy and romatic fantasy science fiction. I think on this board you will learn to make your plots more scientifically credible, which can only add to a good fantasy.
Frequent Contributor
book_worm
0 Kudos

Yay Talon! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wants to write more fantasy type stories than science fiction. I, like you, couldn't wait for a fantasy writing club to start up.. but enough about me.
I loved the chocolate idea. You could really have fun with that I think. And if you ever do go all the way with that story you already have your little tagline for the story. "Will she take the risk to save her mom? no one knows, but one thing is for sure, you will never look at chocolate the same way again."
That's amazing that you already have a title for the key book. I can't think of a title even after I finish writing a story!
I liked both ideas :smileyhappy:
I think the chocolate one might be better to work on in the group but thats just me.. or maybe I just want to read the story that you make haha!
Frequent Contributor
galenem
0 Kudos

Talon,

I went back and read your intro--you go girl! Direction & guts; an undefeatable combo. Is the pearl key planet round or flat. Does following the setting sun indicate danger or eternity? or anything? Do you know what's up with the key yet?

(Chocolate that kills? I can't even think about that-Could you make it wintergreen mints instead; I hate those)
Frequent Contributor
marta_randall
0 Kudos

Talon, I'm willing to bet that you'd love some of Neil Gaiman's short fantasy stories -- a smart, modern look at classic fairy tales without falling into either "cute" or "goth" renderings.
Frequent Contributor
angelfly72
0 Kudos

Never look at chocolates the same again???? Nooooo...don't SAY that! That's a fate worse that death! LOL! You got me on the chocolate angle. I'm not very romantic so I can't say much about your first idea. But your second story idea has pulled me in just because a) I'm a serious chocoholic; b) the very thought of chocolate becoming an agent of death is a source of nightmares for me! :smileywink:

Angela
"Think, think, it ain't illegal yet!" George Clinton
Contributor
Talon_Radden
0 Kudos

Oh my god! Thank you so much everyone for complimenting my work it is good to have support from other writers! Thanks again! =D
Contributor
Talon_Radden
0 Kudos

galenem wrote:
Talon,

I went back and read your intro--you go girl! Direction & guts; an undefeatable combo. Is the pearl key planet round or flat. Does following the setting sun indicate danger or eternity? or anything? Do you know what's up with the key yet?

(Chocolate that kills? I can't even think about that-Could you make it wintergreen mints instead; I hate those)

Thank's, and as for the sun goes i'm really not sure it means anything i just didn't want the main character to be wandering around the forest with no direction! As for the key, the further the story goes on, the more you see that the key attracts many magical creatures such as a griffen. =D
Contributor
Talon_Radden
0 Kudos

book_worm wrote:
Yay Talon! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wants to write more fantasy type stories than science fiction. I, like you, couldn't wait for a fantasy writing club to start up.. but enough about me.
I loved the chocolate idea. You could really have fun with that I think. And if you ever do go all the way with that story you already have your little tagline for the story. "Will she take the risk to save her mom? no one knows, but one thing is for sure, you will never look at chocolate the same way again."
That's amazing that you already have a title for the key book. I can't think of a title even after I finish writing a story!
I liked both ideas :smileyhappy:
I think the chocolate one might be better to work on in the group but thats just me.. or maybe I just want to read the story that you make haha!

Thank you, and as for the title i actually came up with it before the rest of the story. you see, i was at an old-fashioned store and found a very cool looking, old fashioned, brass, key. I bought it and painted it white (i was bored) and i thaught to my self "this is so pretty and white, like it's made out of pearl..." my story unfolded from there! =D
Frequent Contributor
book_worm
0 Kudos

Haha, that is cool that you can come up with a story from an object. Go you! :smileyhappy:
Now that I think about it, I have started to write a story when I thought of the title first. It was a short Halloween story, that I wrote about the Devil's daughter. Actually what inspired me was these terrible fires that we were having in Southern California last year. Oh! And the name of the book was Dark Secrets... I thought it sounded cool :smileywink:
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 59 members 257 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: