Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Stage Plays vs. Screenplays

Brendan_M_Burns wrote:smileyfrustrated:tage plays, I think, are primarily verbal, while screenplays are primarily visual.

Thank you. It is very simple yet I never thought about it in this way. This also explains to me why I have such a hard time to read a Shakespeare play while I can at times 'sort of enjoy' a mediocre book just because it easily evokes images (I can give you a recent exapmle if you absolutely insist).

I can't yet figure out the whole equation, tho'. Writing for me starts often with a character and I am not much for vigorous plotting with small cards or stickers. There are sotware aids that offer mechanic help but I tend to see it as an organic process. However I am not quite sure how the story completes itself. How to determine what can constitute a start and the whole point of the whole script/story. Sometimes it feels like I have to start at the end.

I hope this course will help. (That Daniel was the answer to why I am here. My brain is not always working in a linear way...and I am set up because it is called a story line.)

ziki
Frequent Contributor
lynn
0 Kudos

Re: actress over 40

Hi Ziki,
Good to see you here too. You always had something interesting to contribute to other threads I've been involved in. I think your two character studies from the Writing Fiction thread would be perfect for a screenplay.

As for fiction vs. real life, it's easier to get published for nonfiction rather than fiction :smileyhappy:

Two screenplays I've written have characters that are women over 40. With the possible exception of last year--Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, Judi Densch--most films don't have exceptional roles for women once they hit 40. Casting directors seem to be looking for the next Reese Witherspoon or Cate Blanchette--fine actresses both--but give actresses like Diane Keaton ridiculous roles like the one she had last year. Or even worse they are looking for the next Jessica (Lange excepted). I think since there are so many Boomers out there with plenty of money to spend at the movies, there would be more films that reflect what women of that age group can relate to. Unfortunately, that is not the demographic they are going for.

In case anyone's interested, More magazine in partnership with Women in Film is sponsoring a screenplay contest for women over 40. Details are at more.com/filmcontests

Hope your book gets here on time.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: actress over 40

I agree and I wonder if it is slowly starting to be the same for men. "The young forever" image projected toward the audience. Film used to be an art and now it all slides into a safely fabricated 'thin' entertainment and I think that is a pity.
I bet there are not many intereting enough scripts for these experienced actresses to choose from. Later (6o) they can play some grandmothers here and there.

I am thinking about the film (name escaped me) with Shirley Mc Laine and Jack Nicholson. He is her astronaut neighbour and finally they hit it off. While women IRL want to be emancipated the film industry doesn't quite support that, it's odd when I think of it.

Cassavetes made one movie with his mother acting as a senile senior. But that is also on the upper top age scale. Maybe the women 40yo are so busy IRL so they do not have time to go to movies and films with 40+ actresses wouldn't go home with youngsters.

It is an interesting question because the biz decides what finally gets shot.

ziki
New User
OddsOn
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves

I have not tried writing a screenplay before. I've written fiction, but never in script form. In one draft novel, the characters make a movie. Part of its plot is evident during the story. The movie plot seems to need to become a screenplay. I prefer to do things with at least a minimum level of competence, so I want to learn how to write a screenplay.

I have some experience producing live amateur theater, mostly working offstage. I've never even seen a movie camera. My only work with a camera medium has been working with community access television, so my understanding of cameras is limited. We used only three video cameras, and we were shooting interview shows, not stories.

As I understand it, a screenplay says more about things other than dialog than a stage script. I hope to learn from the class how much more the screenplay should say, how to say it, and which things "everyone" knows the screenplay shouldn't say. I want to learn to use language that will communicate effectively with those who read screenplays.
New User
lovelee
0 Kudos

I am thirty years old. I wrote extinsively in college but haven't in a while. I currently teach high school students. I want to start writing again. I have lots of ideas in my head and need a space and place to force myself to commit to the process again. I have never written screenplays before but I think learning a new way to express my craft would be motivating for me.

I love movies not one particular genre. They must be interesting, that's it. Some of what I like is cheese and some is well thought out. I know the difference and appreciate both.

Some of my favorite films are: Run Lola Run, The NeverEnding Story, Fearless, Hero, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Big Fish etc
New User
JeffN
0 Kudos

My name is Jeff, I found this class just today and it sounded like one that I would be interested in getting involved with. Reading and writing have always been passions of mine. The intricacies of the English language have held a fascination for me. I have written one screenplay, a western, but haven't done anything with it yet. I am in the middle of writing another one, of a different genre, right now. Coming up with the characters and watching them develop through the story is one part of screenwriting I have enjoyed as well as coming upon a problem and figuring out a way to creatively solve it. There are things I know I need to learn and am excited about developing those skills through this class. Hopefully making some connections with others also is something that thrills me about the class as well. There are certaing screenwriters I enjoy for different reasons. I enjoy Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio for the way can create such exciting action in the Pirates of the Caribbean and Zorro movies as well as Tony Gilroy for his intense action in the Bourne movies. I loved the Lord of the Rings movies and the way the screenwriters can take such a beloved fantasy and make the movies so true to the book, while making it so applicable to modern audiences. Besides these big budget films I love smaller movies you can't quite forget for a while like Million Dollar Baby and the Queen. The list could go on and on, but through this course I hope to learn techniques to put my script among some of those mentioned as well give others the feedback so he or she can do the same.
New User
JaKe_J_
0 Kudos

My name is Jake. I'm 16, but I have been writing screenplays since I was 9. I like all genres, but Horror is my favorite. I have written quite a few screenplays, but never submitted them. Nerves got the best of me. I'm excited, because I never get to talk about screenplay writing with my friends. That's pretty much it for now.
Frequent Contributor
danielnoah
0 Kudos

star wars live on stage!

Frequent Contributor
Brendan_M_Burns
0 Kudos

Re: star wars live on stage!

danielnoah wrote:
Star Wars on the boards.

We start discussing it on this board (as a joke), and someone's actually out there doing it -- for the past five years, apparently.

Unreal.
Frequent Contributor
danielnoah
0 Kudos

lovelee -

[ Edited ]
Hi, lovelee. I'm excited to have a high school teacher in our ranks. I plan to pump you for information about your students' interests! You're in a unique position to guage the mindset of the most powerful audience of movies today.

Message Edited by danielnoah on 03-11-200707:30 PM

Frequent Contributor
danielnoah
0 Kudos

brendan -

[ Edited ]

Brendan_M_Burns wrote: I've only dipped my finger in the screenwriting waters. I have at least two screenplays (definitely not stage plays) burning holes inside me. My main stumbling block is that I lack the motivation (or ability?) to filter the ideas in my head onto the screen, and ultimately onto paper. I can do it with a play, or a story, or a poem, but I haven't been able to do it with a screenplay. (Or is that just a tired excuse?)

Hi, Brendan. Take comfort in the knowledge that every time I've tried to write a play - and that number is high - I've drawn a complete blank and barely made it past the first five pages. Playwrighting and screenwriting are very diffierent disciplines. Just as I need to learn playwrighting technique in order to conquer my first play, you need to learn screenwriting technique in order to conquer your first screenplay. And that's why we're here.

Message Edited by danielnoah on 03-11-200707:30 PM

Frequent Contributor
Brendan_M_Burns
0 Kudos

Re: Screen vs. Stage

danielnoah wrote:

Take comfort in the knowledge that every time I've tried to write a play - and that number is high - I've drawn a complete blank and barely made it past the first five pages. Playwrighting and screenwriting are very diffierent disciplines. Just as I need to learn playwrighting technique in order to conquer my first play, you need to learn screenwriting technique in order to conquer your first screenplay. And that's why we're here.

Daniel,

You're absolutely correct about the reason I'm here. I'm comfortable developing characters through dialogue and verbal exposition -- the blessing and the curse of the English major -- but uncomfortable trying to translate the pictures in my mind into words. I want to be able to take those ideas that are clearly not suitable for the stage and get them out of my head. Whether they are of any quality whatsoever is moot as long as they are still floating in the ether of my mind. If I'm able to derive from this course the motivation to get just one draft screenplay onto paper, I'll be overjoyed.
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

Re: Screen vs. Stage

ex-English major with no desire to teach what little I have learned in school to the youths of today or yesteryear here too, dude!

so, I write, not getting paid to write though, so what else to do?!

strangle my Muse and pimp myself out, I suppose

:smileyvery-happy:
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Contributor
Erin
0 Kudos

Hi!

My name is Erin and I am a movie buff. I don't have a favorite genre. My movie collection goes from An Affair to Remember to Zorro, The Gay Blade. I am looking foward to begin writing a screenplay.
Ian
Frequent Contributor
Ian
0 Kudos

Hi,

I’m Ian from Ontario, Canada. I’ve been a writer for most of my life – started out in advertising as a copywriter and now I’m a freelancer for newspaper and magazine and pretty much anything anyone needs written (speeches, newsletters, flyers, reports…). But, screenwriting is what I love most. I’ve got one novel under my belt, (Afterlife, on Amazon.com and .ca) and I’ve been pitching scripts for a while now – got four in circulation but alas, no joy as yet.

I’m here because writing, in any form, is a craft never mastered. I swore to myself many years ago that I would be a sponge and learn all I could. Everyone has something to offer and I hope you’ll honour me with your crits.

Though I can’t draw like my artist wife and daughter, I still think in pictures. I see a scene or a character or a situation so, screenwriting felt like a perfect fit for that. I love it and whether I sell or option something or not, I’ll always be a screenwriter.

Oh, and Paul Haggis is my new hero.

Cheers,
Ian
Frequent Contributor
Brendan_M_Burns
0 Kudos

Welcome, Ian. You're well beyond where most of are -- something to aspire to.
New User
Eve37
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm new to the Book Club. I live in Littleton, CO. I've been writing since a child.
A word is dead when it is said, some say. I say it just begins to live that day.

Emily Dickinson
New User
plainjs
0 Kudos

danielnoah wrote:
Reply to this message and introduce yourself to the group! Have you tried writing a screenplay before? What do you like about it? If you haven't tried screenwriting before, let us know why you're interested. What are some of your favorite movies and screenwriters?

Hope it's not too late, to join.

I'm John, live just south of Los Angeles, enjoy movies with great dialogue, superficial special effects leave me cold.

I've got a couple of Films/books in my head that I need to get out. I tend to "think" stories visually, of course this might be purely because I don't write them down.

I'm a hopeless case when it comes to typing (which I understand might be considered a problem in a quest to become a writer). Here's hoping this group can serve as a catalyst to get me going, thanks in advance.

..john
Saw DEPARTED last night, great stuff!!
New User
David_Dunn
0 Kudos

Hi guys. I'm Jay. Born and raised in New York(Brooklyn!)but now residing in Baton Rouge, La. I'm just now getting into screenwriting so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Movies have always been special to me. Some movies really just draw you in so close that you almost forget whats going on in your everyday life while the movie is playing.

Excitement and anticipation of a good movie release can sometimes get you through some really mundane days! Lol!

Some of my favorites are "Unbreakable", "Schindlers List", "Blackhawk Down", "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy", "Superman"(The original Richard Donner version), and "Final Fantasy: Advent Children" to name a few.

Looking forward to some good conversation with all you film lovers out there!
Frequent Contributor
danielnoah
0 Kudos

Welcome to the party, David. Chime in any time!
Users Online
Currently online: 64 members 673 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: