Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ThaddeusRMcGillicutty
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Hello everyone. My name is Jon and currently I'm going to college. Since I was 7, I wanted to write, first novels then screenplays/TV. Due to the overwhelming amount of work and stress in the past year, it's been on the backburner and I want to get back into it.

I'm not looking to change the world or make some pretentious movie that wins awards. I like the vapid, I like the shallow. I want to write teen movies, more depth than John Hughes and more realistic than the She's All That string in the late 90's. I have written one, called Hopeless Romantic, but that was when I was 16 and...oh my god, let's just forget about that.

If not writing teen movies or romantic comedies, I'd love to write for television. I'd love to write for a Degrassi-like show or, wait for it, professional wrestling programs like WWE Raw. As a lifelong wrestling fan, nothing would please me more than to write for their company and have my ideas come to fruition.

To sum it up: I don't want to win awards, I just want to write what makes money and what I like.
"It's a madhouse....A MAAAAAAAAAAAADHOUSE!"
-Planet of the Apes
New User
Pamela_B
0 Kudos

Hi. I’m a 43 year old mother of one…a 17 year old daughter finishing high school on her way to becoming a vet. Happily married to a mechanical designer. College educated in computer science but wound up as an accountant for corporate America instead, doing the 9 to 5 thing. I always enjoyed writing and talking to people. Childhood ambition was to become a psychiatrist. Parents disagreed with that career choice.

When I was young, I kept a journal on everything I did…daily journals, prayer journals, gardening journals…every hobby I had. I feel this desire to capture information so that it is not lost forever. I’ve met and listened to many people tell their unique life stories and think to myself, “Man, this is good stuff! Is anyone writing this down?!”

I’ve taken writing classes on the side. Written mostly work-related material and user manuals. By adding my personal flair, supervisors told me they actually look forward to reading my reports. I try to make them interesting, not so drab and mundane. So I entertained the thought that maybe I have a chance as a writer if people actually look forward to what I’ll write next.

I also enjoy watching movies. I took an acting class in college just to see what it would be like. It is definitely a lot harder than it looks. Actors may not seem to have a tough job, but I think they do. It definitely depends on individual talent. If you’re a natural, you don’t have to work as hard as some of us do. Just try to convey sadness convincingly at the drop of a hat (or after the shout of the word, “Action!”). Ten takes later, they were finally convinced. UGH!

I also took a class in Movie Basics 101 (just trying to fill up those last couple of electives my senior year). This covered all the terminology used and the different types of camera shots. Of course, all we did in this class was watch movies and analyze them. This was really interesting to me. So now when I watch movies, I’ll sit there and say things like, “Aw, I would’ve shown that a different way,” and “Man, that dialogue really sucks!” I can’t STAND bad dialogue. Guess you could say it’s one of my pet peeves.

Which brings me to why AM I here? I’d like to learn the basics of writing screenplays, and talk to others who have the same interests. I won’t be able to say, “I could’ve written that much better!” unless I actually know how to. Plus, I’m sick and tired of watching already existing movies being redone. Can’t anyone out there write something new?!!
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

welcome to the club,Pamela!

please, jump in, read, review and get busy posting!

it's very very very very... very very very boring around here for the 3 of us who are actually active.

nice to have some fresh blood in the water....
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Ian
Frequent Contributor
Ian
0 Kudos

But no pressure ;-)

Welcome aboard...I mean to the board...

Cheers,
Ian
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 206 guests
Recent signins: