BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Plotting Basics: The 40-Year-Old Virgin

[ Edited ]

Watch The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

The goal for Andy, the protagonist, is easy to spot (he wants to lose his virginity). But what are some of the obstacles he faces, external and internal? Also, what events constitute plot point 1 and plot point 2?

Reply to this message to discuss this topic.

Message Edited by BookClubEditor on 03-02-2007 06:26 PM

Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

Re: Plotting Basics: The 40-Year-Old Virgin

[ Edited ]
Obstacles:

Andy's age and self-image, he's quite content being exactly who he is, doesn't really 'need' to lose his virginity as much as his friends seem to need him to;
his friends become an obstacle, trying so hard to get the poor guy some action, sex for the sake of losing the 'virgin' title; the subjects Andy and his friends line up, the crazy-comical dates, all act as obstacles more than aid in Andy's quest; Andy's integrity, once he realizes Trish could be The One, more than just a sexual conquest, he might truly love this woman, he doesn't just want to have sex with her, and he respects her POV after coming out of a bad relationship herself.. basically he understands how bad it can be, after a few awful attempts to build simple, strictly-sexual relationships with the assortment of freaks Andy and his friends hook him up with...

I'll list what I think are the 5 Major Events, rather than just Plot point 1 and 2.
(I only saw this movie twice, and again, don't have it on-hand to review...yet)

Inciting Incident-- the card game that reveals Andy's secret and gets his co-workers/friends involved in his plight, his quest

Plot Point 1-- Andy meets Trish, and seems to hit it off
Andy starts to think he has real feelings for Trish, Trish doesn't want to get intimate with a new man so quickly, after suffering a bad break-up

Mid-Point-- Andy and Trish's friendship develops into real feelings for each other after a few non-sexual encounters, while Andy suffers thru some crazy dates in an effort to satisfy the conditions of his quest

Plot Point 2-- Trish finds out Andy's secret, and the quest inspired by his friends; trouble in paradise for Andy and Trish's budding relationship

Climax-- friendship and love win out, Andy and Trish get together, do the business, conquer Andy's quest, and go into business together

Message Edited by crAZRick on 03-19-200701:35 PM

I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Ian
Frequent Contributor
Ian
0 Kudos

Thanks for suggesting this film. I hadn’t watched it in a while and had a great laugh. This is one of the most base films I’ve ever seen, yet, I can’t help laughing – my wife says it’s because I’m a guy. But, she was laughing, too.

Poor Andy had a lot of obstacles to overcome. Externally: He’s a geek/nerd. I mean even his bike is nerdy. He’s awkward and antisocial. He’s stuck in a routine. Even after he decides to change, he receives nothing but bad advice from his friends and unfortunately, acts on it. Internally: His bad experiences with women propelled his virginity. He says it himself, that he just stopped thinking about it. He lacks experience. He feels pressured and that makes it hard for him to be himself.

I had a very tough time finding the plot points. I’d say that the first plot point is when he meets Trish. I say that because it is what propels us into the second act. Andy changes after meeting her and wants to learn. He doesn’t want to be a virgin anymore.

The second plot point was subtle in my opinion. I think it is when Trish’s daughter learns that Andy is a virgin. Several things happen. Andy changes again, only this time he’s not himself – he simply wants to ‘get it on’ as opposed to wanting something special with Trish. Also, Andy gets someone in his corner who likes him for who he is – Trish’s daughter. That gives him an ally who eventually is the person to send Trish into Andy’s arms – albeit when he’s lying on the road looking up at her.

If you didn’t get a chance, you should watch the special features – especially the waxing scene. Now there is some insight.
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

oh yes, I forgot about the daughter's involvment!!

teaches me for commenting without reviewing the film first!!
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Users Online
Currently online:111 members 595 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: