Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
TrayseaWrites
0 Kudos

TrayseaWrites, Plotting Basics -- Writing Exercise

I'm not feeling this plot at all. Romantic comedies are not my cup of tea, but since I ending my first lesson on a "funny" note. I figured I would try to keep the ball rolling. I think I deflated it with this. When can we use our own stories? :-)

ROMANTIC DRAMEDY?

• Lynn gets a call from her high school sweetheart, Evan. Only he was never HER high school sweetheart; Lynn always had a crush on him. He just thought she was a funny girl.

• Evan asked Lynn to meet him for drinks to discuss finding a dream home for him and his bride-to-be, Angela; who also happened to be the girl that caused Lynn so much grief in high school. Lynn assumed it was a date.

• Angela hasn’t changed much since her snobbish and spoiled days as a teenager that picked on the absent-minded and nerdy, Lynn. Angela soon learned that Lynn still has a crush on Evan and begins her torment.

• Lynn discovers Angela’s scheme to marry Evan only for his money and status and wants to warn Evan but she doesn’t want to come off as trying to break up their relationship.

• With the help of Lynn’s baby sister, Lori and her best friend, Jade. They devise a plan to reveal Angela for what she really is and in the process, open Evan’s eyes to the one woman who truly loves him...Lynn.
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

Re: TrayseaWrites, Plotting Basics -- Writing Exercise

this is good, it fits with the bit of a start you made with your character scene, and yes, I was picturing a romantic-comedy all the while reading that other piece.

I bet you could get away with posting your own ideas for characters or stories any time you want. I'd read them, now that I know you have some skill and style and basic knowledge of spelling, punctuation and grammar, not to mention a certain flair with the writing, I'd read 'your stuff' even if it didn't fit any of the exercises for the club.

exercises are just that, training the muscles to do the 'real work' of writing 'your own stories'

so, if you're willing to share something so personal, even in it's raw beginning stages, I say go for it!

I'm always working on something myself; probably post when I come up with something tangible. Mostly focused on the Fiction Writing club these days, but also dabbling in the screenplay format, but I've posted some non-exercise work over on the Fiction Writing board, and have not yet come as close to being banned from that world as I have from this one, so I say it's fair game, if you are up to posting your stuff.

I look forward to reading and enjoying more from you, and the rest of you few who have joined this fledgling little club!

:smileyhappy:
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Contributor
TrayseaWrites
0 Kudos

I'll definitely post some other pieces. I welcome any and all feedback and would offer mine as well to those that would post.

Thanks!
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

Excellent, Traysea! Welcome to the club! Can't wait to dissect and discuss more of the screenplay-constructing processes with you and the other worthy contributors amongst us!
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Ian
Frequent Contributor
Ian
0 Kudos

TrayseaWrites,

This is an excellent outline. Remember, an outline is a starting point, a guide that is NEVER carved in stone. This exercise gives us a chance to try outlining and you’re head is definitely in the right place. You’ve given yourself enough information to guide you from intro to first plot point, then to a midpoint and onwards. It’s great.

I think I’m a bit confused – what you wrote isn’t ‘your’ stuff? Or, do you have something familiar like characters or plot that you’d like to use in the exercises? If so, do it. Daniel suggested continuing on from the storytelling exercise so, go for it with your own stuff if you like.

I do see the benefit of trying something outside of your comfort zone, though. It helps me focus on the exercise a bit more and not on my ‘work in progress’. But, that’s me. Everyone is different – thank goodness.

Again, nice job on the outline.

Cheers,
Ian
Contributor
TrayseaWrites
0 Kudos

I never thought about it from that point of view...working on other characters/plots completely different from what I'm used to. Thanks for pointing that out!
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 560 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: