Reader 2
tomwatson
0 Kudos

Am I the Only Person Who Doesn't Buy Into "The Secret" Claims?

Okay, here it is, my one and only post regarding the "Secret." The movie and now book have become so popular that anyone who criticizes either is running the risk of being chastised. Initially, I saw the movie and thought it seemed good since I believe that positive thought, in conjunction with appropriate action, is a good thing. It was too "Hollywoodish" for my taste, particularly for what was being asserted by some as a great, spiritual movie, but movie tastes vary so I tried to overlook that. Then I got to thinking about the movie (the book was not out at that time, to my knowledge) more carefully and decided it was, to put it mildly, ridiculous. Here are some of the bases of my views:

1. I agree that the power of positive thinking, when combined with appropriate action, is a powerful tool. But the movie (for the purpose of consistency I will refer to the movie instead of "the movie and the book" for convenience) goes far, far, far beyond that.

2. The story supposedly goes that there has been a virtually eternal "DaVinci Code"-like conspiracy to keep this knowledge a "secret." Why?

The movie claims that great men throughout history knew "The Secret." How do the makers of the movie know that these long dead men and women knew this "powerful secret" as it is called in the movie? Furthermore, if they knew this "hidden secret" and were such great men, why did they continue the conspiracy of silence rather than reveal the great knowledge for the betterment of everyone? With all due respect, those are completely incongruous. The movie produces no historically provable basis that any of the historical figures pictured either knew of some "hidden knowledge" or conspired to keep it a secret. Just the blind assertion that it was true.

3. "The Secret" talks about how the "secret knowledge" can be used for such good and how they somehow know that all those in the past who did great things used the "secret knowledge." However, since "The Secret" indicates that this "secret knowledge" is non-judgmental and gives you whatever you asked for, wouldn't this "secret knowledge" possibly explain the successes (at least in what they sought to accomplish) of Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot and the list goes on. And now that this great secret has been revealed, just imagine what evil "The Secret" could unleash. Remember, the universe, according to the proponents of "The Secret", gives you whatever you want if you follow the right steps. It places no limits, and therefore by definition no "morality", on what you can receive and achieve.

4. At the beginning of the movie, the lady, whose name I cannot remember, magically found a "secret scroll" telling her of this great secret. Aside from what strikes me as the preposterous nature of this claim, why is the "secret scroll" not on tour throughout the world to prove this great discovery?

5. This was "secret knowledge" (according to the language in the movie) yet so many people, ranging from many members of this forum to Oprah have claimed to have always known this great secret and applied it to their lives. How can it be a great, hidden secret if so many current people have, before the movie or book, applied it throughout their lives?

6. Does anyone really believe the guy who claimed in the movie that he cut out of a magazine a picture of a house of the type he would like to have and, years later, found that cut out picture while going through an old box and realized he had, long after cutting out the picture, purchased, moved into, and was at that very moment living in that EXACT house (he made clear it was the exact same house as in the cutout, not a similar one)? Somehow, at no time after he finally saw the house in person, negotiated for purchase of the house, moved into the house or even after he lived there for a long time, did he once remember it from the magazine cutout until he was looking through an old box and ran across the magazine cutout picture. If it is either an exaggeration or a lie, what does that indicate about the credibility of the rest of the movie/book/movement? Just to be clear, I'm not saying the guy was lying, only that his story is so completely lacking in any credibility as to make it preposterous.

7. I was also disturbed by the attempt to use science, particularly quantum physics, to explain the alleged scientific basis of "The Secret" since the movie contains tremendous scientific misdirection. Quantum physics works only at the quantum level, where Newtonian physics do not apply. Quantum physics does an excellent job of explaining the sub-atomic world but does not apply to the "macro" world. Quantum Physics and Newtonian Physics are completely contrary to each other since things that happen at the quantum level cannot exist in the "larger" world and the physics which apply in the "larger" world do not apply and are in fact completely contradicted by quantum physics. In other words, quantum mechanics only has applicability in the sub-atomic "world" and completely collapses in the non-quantum world. And vice-versa. Put another way, claiming that "The Secret" is based on quantum physics ignores the fact that Newtonian physics only work on the non-quantum level and that Quantum Physics only works at the quantum level.

8. Perhaps more so than the inaccurate (to put it mildly) nature of the supposed science behind the principles which are discussed in "The Secret" is the fact that rather than relying on spirituality (as do most proponents of religious/spiritual beliefs), the makers of this movie used science fiction (and not very good science fiction at that) to support their claims rather than set out their beliefs as what they are - purely spiritual beliefs.

9. The "Secret" is asserted to work very literally. In other words, don't think (or say) "I don't want to have cancer", think (and say) "I want to be well". On second thought, that may get you sicker if you say that since "I want to be well" could be interpreted as assuming you are sick, a violation of what we could perhaps call "The Secret Verbal Conundrum". Any mention or thought of what you don't want will, contraintuitively, create what you don't want. Apparently, the secret doesn't care about your intentions, but rather your language. So be more concerned with sneaking the idea past the universe with the words you pick than speaking in direct, day to day English.

If “The Secret” is true, we should always say when asked how we are that we are doing great, wonderful, best we could be, no matter what the truth may be. Remember all of the flashy cars and great houses in the movie? Oddly enough, I don’t think I saw a single person in the movie with AIDS. Makes people think too much I guess.

Remember that “The Secret” encourages lying about how you feel, even in sickness.

But should we really lie? If you saw your young child collapse, and you asked “are you okay?” Would you really prefer that, even if he has a horrible pain in his chest and blacked out, he say he is feeling wonderfully? Or would you prefer to know the truth.

Then what should you do? Should you fully, completely and directly tell the paramedic who comes to your recently collapsed child’s side what you saw? Or should you take “The Hidden Knowledge” way and not say anything that may sound negative, no matter what you saw?

Should we really lie about how we feel? What about those of us, such as me, who sprained my ankle recently? If I have to go to a doctor about my injury and he asks me how it feels, should I say "My ankle feels great. It is perfect. No problem here."

Or if he asks me about my ankle, should I say my ankle hurts here, here and here so he can decide if it is a more serious injure than I suspect?

Or should we just never go to doctors and always say we are great, even if the truth is we have signs of a medical problem? I suggest that “The Secret”, if we take it literally as we are told we must, would say that we should never admit feeling ill or injured, even to a doctor, since saying we are hurt, sick, etc. will only make us worse. I also suggest that this would be a stupid, ludicrous and self destructive thing to do. But then poorly thought out ideas passed off as "Secret Knowledge Hidden for Ages" tends to have that result.

Does it occur to anyone else here that those of us with mental health issues, if we are told to put on a false face about our feelings, may become much more seriously ill or worse when we go off our medications, don't seek out help for our problems due to believing "The Secret" when we are in fact seriously depressed and possibly suicidal? And what of those of us who have mental health issues who actually believe from “The Secret” that everything which has happened to us is our own fault, further increasing our sense of isolation, guilt, hopelessness and feeling of a need to hide our problems? I hope this movie, book, and movement doesn't kill anyone.

By the way, under “The Secret” theory, I can see no way that a child or adult victim of sexual or other abuse would not be viewed under this “Secret Knowledge” as it being the victim’s own fault. Aside from being insane and ludicrous, it is sickening and, for similar reasons to those mentioned above, dangerous at best. Not to mention an absolute and complete lie.

If the people who wrote “The Secret” thought of these issues and believed what “The Secret” implies about the problems of the sick, the poor and the abused being their own fault, they are morally bankrupt while still profiting at the expense of others (as we all know “The Secret” has become massively financially successful.) If these issues never occurred to them, they are at best morally blind.

I just hope that the sick, disadvantaged, poor, abused and the rest of us who need our help don’t believe it is our own creation and our own fault, but rather hold on to the truth that self-blame is not our salvation, but our worst enemy.

10. Along those same lines, if we create our universe and our lives with our thoughts and language, it is a person's own fault apparently if something bad happens. To use the above example, a person who prays for those who have potentially terminal cancer to have the cancer healed is in actuality making that cancer worse under "The Secret". Does anyone really believe that? But if you believe "The Secret" concept about being extremely careful about choosing your words, it must be true. Let's hope there are no parents or spouses or children sitting at home tonight making the mistake of praying that their loved ones are not killed in Iraq, but pray in the approved method.

11. Poor people I suppose must also be responsible for being poor since "The Secret" says we create our own universes, and therefore our own problems. “Right Thinking” people win. The rest of us lose. Gee, if the homeless, mentally ill veterans only knew this "Secret Knowledge" think of what a wonderful world we could have.

Some people have even implied to me that I should not volunteer with Habitat for Humanity to build homes for the poor since it somehow creates more poverty in the long run. I restrained myself (believe it or not) and did not reply. The person meant well when implying that, but had been, in my opinion, seriously misguided by "The Secret."

12. On another topic, "The Secret" gets around the greed issue by saying that everything is abundant and therefore nothing you seek can deprive another. But this isn't really true, now is it. Rolls Royce makes a limited number of cars each year. If you wish for a Rolls, since there is in reality a limited supply in existence, someone is going to be left out. Before anyone makes any comments about wishing for a Rolls, remember that the movie encourages materialistic wishes and focuses heavily on showing the nice, shiny new cars and the new houses.

Can’t help but wonder if “Gordon Gekko” would have helped write “The Secret.”

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save [this company], but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

Michael Douglas's Character "Gordon Gekko" in "Wall Street"

13. Under "The Secret" principle, what if two people wish for things which are mutually exclusive? For example, what if the Yankees and Red Sox are playing baseball for the League Championship and a spot in the World Series and fans and players on both sides are wishing with everything they can muster for a victory over their arch rival and a spot in the World Series. Yes, there are some things where one person's wish coming true is another person's wish dying. Both teams can't win. But under the idea of "The Secret" both have to. Sorry, folks. To paraphrase an old song, "Some got to win, Some got to lose. Somebody's gonna have the blues."

If anyone got this far, I appreciate your letting me express myself in this forum. I did not intend initially to write but a few lines. Thank you for your time. And my best to you all.

Tom Watson
tommywats.spamfreezone@GMail.com

No, I am not disturbed about getting angry reactions to what I wrote, I decided a long time ago that if I had anything to say I would say it to a person's face. Since I can't do that on the internet, I am doing the second best thing in my mind and including my real name and email. In order to attempt to spoil spam bots, I have altered my email only by including ".spamfreezone" which you should remove to contact me.
Contributor
theoldkid
0 Kudos

Re: Am I the Only Person Who Doesn't Buy Into "The Secret" Claims?

[ Edited ]
Hey Tom,
Good to have you here. You are a breath of fresh air. After reading my other posts (Welcome to The Secret book club), I am sure that some are thinking...'Hey wait a minute, this is one of the crazy nut-job believers here'. Yeah I am that, well maybe not the nut-job part, I will let you decide. This is going to be a bit long winded since you had a lot to say and I have a lot to respond with as well. Ok, so here we go.

First of all, yes there is a lot of Hollywood in this. Rhonda Byrne is an accomplished actress, producer. She knows that what sells is the stuff poeple want to hear. That is Hollywood! As you have seen, there is a lot of that in the DVD (the book is not much different, but there is more of the spirtual stuff in the book and a decreased emphasis on the materialistic).
One quick disclaimer....I am an absolute beleiver in the concept of 'I think, therefore I am' and '...ask, believing, and you shall recieve' and that is, I believe the essence of the Secret. Now take that idea and add a gross amount of classic Madonna's unbridled materialism coupled with Stephen Speilberg's. I do not know if you are a Star Trek fan, but there is a character on The Next Generation called Q. What Rhonda Byrne did to the essence of the Secret was reminiscent of Q.

The rest of my comments will be correlated to your numbered comments in your comments..

1. I agree till you add in the "I think, therefore I am" and ...ask, believing, and you shall recieve. Now you have a book that is a dispictably materialistic rendition of these concepts. I did my best to ignore the wanton greed encouraged by the authors.

2. if you view the Secret as a concept as opposed to the actual content of the DVD/book then I think you can clearly make the inference that many of these folks knew "the Secret". What they do not tell you is whether or not these folks even knew what they knew. I have since I was about 7 or 8 knew that I had power over my situation and others by using my mind. Did I know "The Secret"? No! Did I know the essence of the Secret? Absolutely! Did I know that I knew the best kept secret in the world? NO. What I did know (or at least I thought it to be true) was that everyone knew this and just did nothing with it. I still believe that it is the best kept secret going! Not so much because anyone has intentionally hidden it, but rather because no one chooses to acknowledge it.

3. Boy did you open a Pandora's box here. You are 100% correct and that is perhaps a greater fear than anything I can think of in this world today. Put this in the hands of the wrong people and let them use it to its fullest potential and we are in very deep sh*&. The absolute conviction that you can do anything is one of the most powerful forces in the world. Did Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot know this? I am convinced that they did. You hit the nail on the head when you said, "...no limits, and therefore by definition no "morality",". That is one of the things that Byrne and her fellow authors never touched on. This is a whole 'nother discussion.

4 & 5. I beleive this is just more Hollywood, paint the mystery and cloak and dagger show.

6. Is it possible, yea. Is it probably, nah! If it was important enought for him to put it on that board, it was important enough for him to REMEMBER it!

7. This one, I know just enough about Quantum Physics to get myself in some real trouble here. I also have enough sense to stay out of trouble. What is that great line....."Discretion is the better part of valor".

8. Again I think the very basic concept is accurate but that is where they needed to leave it. I would not even use the term 'spiritual' to describe it. Religious is as far as I will go on this.

9. Da nile ain't jsut a river in Egypt! I believe they were dead wrong on this one. Denial is healings worst enemy. However focussing on what is wrong with us is just as bad. Acknowledging reality and moving forward is the most healthy position to maintain. The first step in recovery is acknowedging the problem. I can not add anything to your comments here. I orobably would not have been as brutal as you were, but you were, nonetheless, honest. Putting on a happy face in the face of turmoil can be a valuable asset and can get us through many tough spots. I do not think that this is what you were referring to nor do I think that the authors had this in mind either.

10. Point made...see #9.

11. Yes, however, I would like to add more info to this one. The concept of 'I think, therefore I am', if taught properly, coupled with visualization therapy, could be of immeasurable benefit to these folks.

12. This is an issue that I firmly believe should never have been entertained.

13. This one was addressed, incorrectly, in the DVD and the book. They said that we can not affect the lives or actions of others through our thoughts. Quite frankly, that is a crock. I have done it myself. There are countless examples of people getting telepathic messages everyday. My personal take on this subject is that if the game is up to the focus and intent of two diametrically opposed people, the strongest mentally will always win, however, I can assure you if the series are left up to the mental focus of the fans, we need to find another pastime.

Additional commentary...
I do wholeheartedly believe in the basic concepts portrayed in the Secret (i.e. I think, therefore I am, and Ask and you shall recieve). These concepts or laws if you will, can be used for whatever...be it good, evil, spiritual or materialistic. On the subject of whether it is a law or not, I have no problem with either concept or law. In either case, it works and I know that it does from my own personal experience.
Some Q & A...

Q. Do I believe the basic tenents of the Secret?
A. Yes
Q. Do I believe (DIB) it can be used for material gain?
A. Yes
Q. DIB that you can just go "POOF" and it suddenly appears/
A. No
Q. Does the Bible teach this concept?
A. Yes...see Matt 21:22.
Q. DIB that it is as easy as opening up the catalog to the universe and filling out an order form?
A. No
Q. DIB it requires a level of committment and focus and belief that could be discribed as super-human?
A. Absolutely
Q. DIB that this is the reason for its remaining the world's best kept secret?
A. Yes.

Very much looking forward to conversing with you on this, Tom.

ed

Message Edited by theoldkid on 04-16-200704:18 PM

New User
marabann
0 Kudos

Tom (and group),

I wholeheartedly agree with each and every one of your points! I must also bring up the line in the movie that continues to irk me. The "talking heads" continue to cite the fact that the universe works via the "Law of Attraction" which they claim to be that "like attracts like." This simply is not true! In fact, opposites attract! (For proof, simply reference your local magnet. North attracts South. Positive attracts negative.) So, if we are to follow the logic that "The Secret" works on a subatomic level, we are in fact doing the opposite of what the universe requires! Perhaps we should think all negative thoughts...
Frequent Contributor
Beladona_took
0 Kudos

I'm so happy to see other people making the same "What the...?" face I am.

I'm Pagan and, although not at all religious, very spiritual. I believe in meditation and visualization and that your thoughts can have a serious impact on how you view your life and therefore how you can react to your life. You can't think things better and to suggest to people that you can is not only insane, it's mean.
Someone suggested I read this book after a recent bought of depression and I had three huge issues with it from the start:

A) If the universe "listens" and responds only to the words you think and the language you use rather than your intention, then everyone should get the things they never dreamed they'd get, right? For example: they say if you think "I don't want cancer" as Tom said, then you could (according to the "Secret") will yourself to get cancer, because the universe didn't hear the "don't", right? Then wouldn't the reverse be true? The depressed people who think "I'll never be happy again" should start being happy all by themselves, right? Or the teenager who thinks "I'll never have a boyfriend" should have the guys fawning all over her, correct? But we all know this isn't the case. How can the first example be possible, but not the last two?

B) The book also adivses that they understand that no one would want to "think" themselves into a car accident or a house fire, etc. Which I believe. But they state the people might be thinking "things couldn't get worse" or the like, so the universe gives them the "worse" they're "asking" for. I'm gonna draw on my own experience for this example:
I moved to a new city for my then boyfriend. He left a few months later and I was in a big city, 1600 miles from home with nothing but a job, a room and my car. Less than two weeks later I was hit by a drunk while I was stopped at a red light. I wasn't seriously injured, but my car was totalled and the last thing I'd brought with me from my home was taken from me (my car). Now, I know beyond dobut that I never thought "I hope I don't get hit by a drunk driver" but it is very possible that in the wake of my life changing circumstances I thought things couldn't get worse. So, buy law of the "Secret", I got the "worse"... really? That was the worst? Not my mom or dad dying? Not becoming homeless? Not being seriously injured? The biggest, baddest thing I could bring upon myself by thinking the absolute worst was that my car was totaled. And I even went to work the next day! Then how exactly is the universe dishing out mansions and hundred thousand dollar cars on wishing for a "dream home"? It seems like the universe doesn't really know what the person is wishing for in that sense.. or it only grants some people's desires and not others.

C) Last one, promise. If this Secret is the key to happiness and success, why is the DVD $20.99? Why is the book just as expensive? Shouldn't this key to ever lasting happiness be free for the world?
New User
Searchlight
0 Kudos

Perhaps the secret to "The Secret" lies in what Daniel Boorstein suggested--that the most important question regarding humanity is what we believe to be real. Logic has nothing to do with it. What is real is that "The Secret" weekend seminar costs nearly $1,000 and as one of you noted, the book and DVD are also pricey which rules out any humanitarian motives.

As long as we think that other people know the secret to happiness, there will be those who capitalize on our hopes and fears and dreams--snake oil vendors selling bottles of magic.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your comments and incisive thoughts. No, I didn't spend any money on the book, DVD, or seminar although one of my close friends did. Between my friend's explanation and the media saturation, I decided to let others contribute to "The Secret" money pot. I spent my money on a book I wanted to read and that made me happy!
New User
karch
0 Kudos

Dear theoldkid,

Regarding your post that "The Secret" is in some way supported Biblically and your citation of Matthew 21:22, please let me clarify.
Matthew 21:22 (NIV) "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
The words of Jesus Christ are also cited by Byrne who is apparently suggesting that Christ himself knew "The Secret." The problem here is that this is a direct misrepresentation of the biblical text and a sloppy worldview error. The theological basis of "The Secret" is something called monistic pantheism. In other words, All is one and God is all. Christ taught nothing of the sort, and using that passage to forward the concept of "The Secret" ignores the fact that Christ was a Jew and a theist. As such, God is personal, knowable, completely independent of all physical things and eternal. Christ preached the need for a personal relationship with God which is in direct opposition to the idea that god is the universe or the 'energy of all things' or whatever else impersonal forms The Secret claims him to be. Furthermore, Christ instructs his followers to pray to God, not hope, make-believe, wish for, or otherwise use your own power to create a reality. Christ taught that we are sinners in need of salvation, not possessions, or even good health. Most Christian will agree with the basic concept that "God is more concerned about one's character than one's comfort" and the Bible makes it quite clear that we should expect both trials and hardship. It also makes it clear that we should use these experiences to mature. Some people take maturity to mean a deep concern for the well being of others. Perhaps the more appropriate passages from the book of Matthew would be 16:24-26 (NIV) Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up the cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?"
New User
pookis72
0 Kudos

Dear Karch, I love what you wrote. I do want to say that the power of "The Secret" and the clarity of what it reflects is practical even when you pick up your cross and follow "Him". I have found that there's a great deal of joy in denying yourself daily and in living in selflessness. I am most happy when I recognize where I have failed, sinned or messed up (name it as you wish) and when I find instruction, correction and even rebuke because I have grown, matured and enriched my life tremendously. The power of "The Secret" is gratitue. There is a great deal of fullfillment found in being transformed and molded even if it hurts. In the end, the message is the same, focus on the blessings at hand regardless of the suffering, challenges or misfortunes. I couldn't be happier applying "The Secret" in my daily walk with God.
J
New User
pookis72
0 Kudos

Dear Tom Watson, you have so much to say. I read what you wrote and I am glad you welcome replies. What I'd like to say is that you still have the opportunity to find "The Secret", it's not too late. You're almost there so keep looking.
J
Contributor
pambeesly
0 Kudos

Thank you!!

I work at a store that sells "The Secret"... and it kind of disgusts me everytime a customers shells out 34.99 for this DVD. The author is making a ridiculous amount of money for a ridiculous book.

Also, I really agree completely with this part here:

[[[[Does it occur to anyone else here that those of us with mental health issues, if we are told to put on a false face about our feelings, may become much more seriously ill or worse when we go off our medications, don't seek out help for our problems due to believing "The Secret" when we are in fact seriously depressed and possibly suicidal? And what of those of us who have mental health issues who actually believe from “The Secret” that everything which has happened to us is our own fault, further increasing our sense of isolation, guilt, hopelessness and feeling of a need to hide our problems? I hope this movie, book, and movement doesn't kill anyone.

By the way, under “The Secret” theory, I can see no way that a child or adult victim of sexual or other abuse would not be viewed under this “Secret Knowledge” as it being the victim’s own fault. Aside from being insane and ludicrous, it is sickening and, for similar reasons to those mentioned above, dangerous at best. Not to mention an absolute and complete lie.]]]]
~Dunder-Mifflin, This is Pam...~
Reader 2
Zephyr
0 Kudos

I think I enjoy these discussions more than the book or the DVD. It gives me the opportunity to see other’s points of view and to have a mental battle with all these wonderful thinking individuals. It just allows me to sort it out in my mind and see the truth (my own personal truth) more clearly.

Everything form calling the book a secret to showing mansions and flashy cars in the film is done to get people’s attention. Because, sadly, most people buy this book naively thinking that it will help them become rich.
I personally read the book because I wanted to know what everybody is talking about. After I went through it, I felt good about the fact that I bought it on sale, because it kind of felt like a waste of money – not because I don’t believe in the concept, but it was all common sense to me. But I do realize that most people are not so lucky to see the world clearly around them and to be able to see and use their power. That is why it is a secret and will stay a secret for many. That is why I applaud the author for writing this book. If anything, it got more people thing about the concept.

My problem with the book, besides the commercialization, is that I don’t like the tone of it. Let’s just say I don’t like to be told what to do or to think. It irritates me the same way TV commercials do.
Tom Watson, even though you made this huge list of negatives, from your post it is clear that you know the secret or at least are close to finding out. Your comment 3 is absolutely right, I am sure those powerful evil people knew the secret and power in the wrong hands can be very dangerous, but I have to say to that is that the book also mentions that love is the most powerful, and I completely agree with that. When my own actions are directed by love I achieve much more than when I am angry or frustrated. By the way, I am sorry to hear about your sprained ankle. I hope you feel better. Don’t deny the pain you are feeling and put on a happy face, instead love yourself and believe that you are getting better. Love is very powerful in healing.

Theoldkid, you are amazing! I agree with all your comments. I, like you have known the secret since I became a thinking individual, of course seeking to know more very chance I get. It’s a nice feeling when everybody around you says “It’s a miracle!”, “It’s unexplainable!”; and you just think “Nop.. It’s just life…” I hope you know what I mean, I don’t want to sound like nutcase… I draw my power from experience, when I realized that I can perform ‘miracles’ (big and small), I realized that anything is possible. And this is the message that I can relate to most in the book.

Beladonna, you say you are good at visualization. So regarding your comment A, when we say “I don’t want cancer” we usually imagining ourselves having it. What do you think that teenager is imagining when he or she is thinking “I’ll never have a boyfriend”? I can bet they are imagining being alone and unpopular. That is why the book advises against thinking like that. It is not the universe that doesn’t hear the “don’t”, it is us in our minds we don’t hear the “don’t”. If you see a child carrying a glass of milk to the table, you can think in two different ways – “don’t spill it!” or “keep it in”. Which kind of thinking is going to be more powerful?
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Zephyr: Not Spilling Milk

Very nice, Zephyr!

Zephyr wrote:
It is not the universe that doesn’t hear the “don’t”, it is us in our minds we don’t hear the “don’t”. If you see a child carrying a glass of milk to the table, you can think in two different ways – “don’t spill it!” or “keep it in”. Which kind of thinking is going to be more powerful?
Frequent Contributor
Beladona_took
0 Kudos

I understand the point you are trying to make and, as I stated before, I think the basic concept behind "the secrect" is valid, but I find a few flaws with your question.
Personally, when I was growing up and my sister had several boyfriends and I thought "I'm never gonna have a boyfriend" I never visualized myself being alone. I was always holding hands or at the movies or out on a date etc. and happy. That doesn't change the fact that I was nearly out of my teens before I went on my first date.
As for the cancer example: if that image of cancer is what brings it upon ourselves because we see the sick version of ourselves and the universe provides it even when we're seeing it because we don't want it (that was a long one, I know), why don't masses of people (who have all worried about cancer at one point or another) get the same kinds of cancer at the same point in life, regardless of lifestyle? Does this also mean that those of us that think to ourselves/visualize ourselves always being healthy will not ever need to worry about STDs, infections, broken bones, etc?
And finally, I never ever pictured myself getting hit by a drunk driver. Never in my life did I ever think that. I've worried about being shot. I've worried about my parents/family/friends/partners being taken from me. I've worried about drowning and poison and rape and every inconceivable horror out there. But never have I worried about stopping at a red light and getting hit by a drunk. So why, when I felt life couldn't possibly get worse, did the universe select something that was farthest from my thoughts and something I could easily recover from rather than all the other horrors I've feared? It just seems too random to be the science they claim it is.

Again, I like the concept: How you view the events in your life can help you react positively to everything else you encounter. Everyone should hear this. But it's not a secret. It's not going to keep you from getting sick nor will it grant you the home/car/job/partner/life of your dreams. It's not a $20 book or a $25 DVD. At best it's a single sentence that we could all just put on a bumpersticker and slap to the back of our average, midsize sedans.
New User
asrai_d
0 Kudos

There is more to "The Secret" then what is in the book/movie. Read Sandra Anne Taylor's book "quantam success". Listen to Hay House Radio and you'll see everyone is talking about it and has been for years and years. (Wayne Dyer for instance).

The knowledge of the secret has not really been a secret. It just hasn't been mainstream. There is much more to learn about the laws of attraction. Laws. There are more then one. It's more then just thinking positively. It's about more than material things.
New User
asrai_d
0 Kudos

One more thing: The poor, the sick, the downtrodden are those who most need the message from the secret. That ANYTHING is possible. ANYTHING. They needn't be limited by their background. (Which is the truth, the self-fullfilling prophecy. That those who are born poor think they can never get rich because it's just not meant to be).

There's so much more I could say. But, questioning is very good.
Frequent Contributor
Beladona_took
0 Kudos

I'm not saying we should disregard hopes and dreams, or that there is nothing we can do about our circumstances. And again, the idea behind the secret (probably the same shared with the other authors you mentioned) is good! Everyone should be positive about their situation, no matter what it is. But there is no "Law" of attraction other than opposites attract.
I personally believe in Karma. I believe that what I put out into the world I will get back (in emotion, circumstance and treatment of others). But this is faith, not science. The issue I have with "The Secret" is that they (and by they I mean the authors, contributors and publishers) are taking a grand, unrealistic view of faith and slapping a science label on it. Then, they are mass producing it and hypocritically selling it to make themselves rich. If they label it as faith and hand it out for free, I will totally defend their right to offer this belief. But what they are doing right now is morally wrong.
Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

Hey Tom,

I see by the date on your post that it's been here a while. Hopefully you're still checking responses. I haven't read what others have posted yet so some of what I'm saying may have already been said. Oh well.

I really enjoyed reading your comments. I had listened to the CD and have the book as a reference to that but only saw the movie just last week. It cracked me up! The drama, the DaVince code aspect was actually quite comical. Had I seen that first I think my reception of the information would have been tainted.

I agree with a great deal of what you've said. The absolute nature of any "self-help" or spiritually based documents drive me nuts. I read a number of different inspirational books so that I don't take any one of them as "The Word". The Secret has been no different. I am totally on board with the positive aspect of it's message and the working nature of Universal energy.

I greatly appreciate what you had to say about people with mental health issues. You were referring to me specifically and it was a relief to see it in writing. I had struggled with this and the aspect of the principles of the Secret. Still do.

The house scenario with the guy that found his "dream board" years later after purchasing his house...I Thought the same thing! That cracked me up. I have a dream house in my mind and always have. There'd be no mistake about it if I'd just renovated one to look just the same. I mean, come on!

Again, I appreciate your opinions. I do use certain aspects of The Secret in my life along with those of a few other books of guidance and inspiration.

I may re-read your post and will read the responses as well so you may not have heard the last from me.

Lois
"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." Wayne Dyer
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Many interesting comments were made in this discussion.

I have seen the movie, I have not bought any of the products. Because I do not believe that there is such a thing as "the secret". Smart marketing though.
Though I must confess, I do enjoy playing The Secret game, every now and then.
http://www.thesecret.tv/behind-the-secret-game.html

How much do I buy into it? I believe in the power of gratitude, it has worked for me in the past and is continuing to work for me. I just take the positive energy and leave the rest.

I hope it will bless all who are touched by these ideas and these products.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Contributor
jinglesdelarock
0 Kudos

No this book is totally stupid. All this woman does is use old quotes...random quotes at that to back up her point. And no one questions that fact that they're all OUT OF CONTEXT. She's made her millions though, props on that, but shame on the American public for buying into the idea that the power of positive thinking can really change your life. There is however a difference between the power of positive thinking and motivation, most people aren't motivated and they fail to realize that this book really won't motivate them either. I feel bad for everyone who bought this book thinking that it would change their life, like any fad diet look through the scheme of smoke and really read the text before buying
New User
thforumbe
0 Kudos

Very good points Asrai_d ! I would highly reccommend Hay House radio for anyone who is looking to grow and learn and get more in touch with their souls/inner guidance system. I would like to add a couple things that I think are important but not really explained that well in the book. You kind of have to read between the lines a little and not take it so literally. They do mention that the words you say create your reality but I believe that what they are trying to get at.....and more of this line of thinking can be found in great detail in "Ask and it is Given" by Gerry and Esther Hicks....is that it is not just your thoughts/words that create your reality. It is actually the energy that your thoughts and words produce that create your reality. And the way to tell if your thoughts/words are creating something you don't want verses something you do want is by noticing the way your thoughts and words make you FEEL. If what you are thinking or saying makes you feel BAD then you are on your way to creating and attracting more bad things. If what you are thinking about/focusing on/talking about makes you feel GOOD then your are in the process of creating more good things. Your FEELINGS are your inner guidance system telling you what you are creating for your own personal reality. It may not come to you literally or you may have to keep your eyes open to recognize it but you will see that if you feel bad and then focus on that bad feeling then more bad feelings or events occur. So...if you are worrying constantly about getting sick or having some illness affect your life....and you focus on that worry versus focusing on the gratitude that you are not ill....you are more likely to attract illness into your life. Lots of people don't intentionally focus on being grateful for what they have....they focus more on the lack of what they want or the worry that they will lose what they have. If you focus on a thought that makes you feel happy or at least gives you some improvement over your current bad feeling then more good thoughts/feelings/events will follow.

I believe that the people who have accomplished horrific or evil things were not practicing "the secret" but they were creating their own reality by focusing on negative thoughts/fears/paranoia/greed etc. Their negative energy attracted more and more of the same and the more powerfully they focused on these negative thoughts the more they attracted and the more like minded people they attracted to their "cause" and the horrific their reality became. Imagine what someone who creates that same powerful energy through positive thoughts/ feelings/actions would attract.....and this has happened in history also. The Secret over simplifies their message I think to make it more pallatable to the general public but the more you think about how one positive thought, feeling, belief, action begets another and so on and so on and how people tend to congregate with other like minded people and together they can create wonderful things then it makes so much sense. Of course the same rule goes for negative thoughts and thinking.

One persons reply mentioned that it can't be true that there is an endless abundance of everything so that you're aquiring too many things doesn't affect someone elses reality or what they can aquire. Well...the example they gave was that there is a limited number of rolls royces made each year so if everyone wished for one and got one there would be people who wouldn't get one because there is indeed a limit. But....stop and think about this....we put men on the moon....don't you think that man is powerful enough that if everyone in the world really, really wanted a rolls royce and focused all their energy on acquiring one (positive energy that is...not wishing they could have one and being resentful of others who have them and worrying they will run out, etc) that somehow man would find a way to manufacture enough rolls royces for everyone who really really wanted one and there would be no "man-made" limit on these vehicles? There is no limit to what we can do , be or have....but so many of us are not focused on what we really want to do, be or have so we don't accomplish it.

I have so much to say right now that I am going to stop before I just go on forever. After I heard about The Secret and listened and then saw the movie...I too had questions...which led me to research and read more and talk about it more to other people which in turn led me to understand and discover more that helped me make more sense out of all this....that in itself is a wonderful thing that I appreciate that "the secret" did for me regardless of it's actual content.

Anything that gets you thinking is a good thing...right?
Reader
momom248
0 Kudos

I am another person who doesn't buy into this book. Seems like its a bunch of quotes compiled together by Rhonda Byrne and some of the claims it makes are ridiculous. Personally I feel this book is a total scam and waste of money. I'm sorry.
Users Online
Currently online:24 members 381 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: