Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
cookie
0 Kudos

Re: Am I the Only Person Who Doesn't Buy Into "The Secret" Claims?

I'm loving this discussion.
I thought I was the only one who thought "The Secret" was a load of overblown drivel.

I do believe in positive thinking/ affirmations - I'm a fan of Louise Hay's from back in the 80's. She promotes similar thinking to what I gather is in "The Secret" but she does it quietly and modestly. I wonder what she thinks of all this hoo-ha?
Do the makers of "The Secret" give her any credit?

The carry-on over this book/movie is utterly ridiculous.
Philippa's message board:
http://www.philippagregory.com/phpbb2/index.php
New User
FineGemsUSA
0 Kudos

The concepts and practices as described in "The Secret" work. THINKING about and then deciding what really motivates you (or what you really want) right now, believing you deserve it, asking for it from the Universe, God, The Force, or "Insert Diety concept here", and imagining it in detail or visualizing "it", works. It works 100% of the time, and it works faster than one might at first believe possible. All one needs to do is try it. Perhaps for 30 days. Once the things, outcomes, and changes start manifesting in your life, you will have no room left for any doubt. But if you don't try it, it will never work. Like the state lotteries like to say, if you don't play, we don't pay! (ie: you can't win if ya don't buy a ticket)

Of course, there is real work involved. I have found that this is where the laws are not understood enough to be applied correctly, and so they "fail" for the person "applying" them.

1) You need the THINK about what REALLY turns YOU on. Not watch the commercials on TV or peruse them in the magazines and pick a few "things" you want from the catalogue. You need to think about YOU. As stated in the book, everyone really does want something a little different than the next person. So Madison Avenue needs to "get flushed" in your head. Think about what really turns YOU, as a unique individual, on. Decide what you REALLY want. You can even "test" the system with something small, but make sure the true desire for the system to work, and for your "little item" (such as the feather) to manifest, is real, and held in your heart. You DO want this to work, don't you? fact is, there are still people in the world that are so used to "playing the victim of life" they are literally afraid to try this, and as a result are self-doomed to remain "victims of life" forever. There is a big part of the human psyche that simply does NOT like change of any kind. That must be silenced, or at least dulled back a bit. certainly, the child in all of us can help with that quite easily.

2) You need to simply determine that the universe is not a completely random place and that there is most likely a bit more to it than man knows at the present. As Einstien did say, "the most important question one needs to ask is, "Is the Universe a friendly place?"" That's it. I listed to a sermon a while back, and part of it struck a cord with me, being myself a scientist by education and profession. A Jesuit teacher wrote a student in answer to a question, that "it simply is preposterous for me to think or believe the universe, in all its intricate and constantly unfolding wonder, from quantum physics to astrophysics and everything in-between, was a random accident." If you are a student of chaos theory you might easily see the intelligence of this statement. Put 20 monkeys in a room with a typewriter, and eventually they will write a Shakespeare play. Hmphhh! I don't think so! Believe that there MAY be a power, force, diety, god, or whatever, that will listen and act upon your desires, just because 'it is designed that way', "he or she likes or wants to", 'karma will give you and us all what we deserve', whatever. Just come to the belief that it is possible. Without belief, what I consider the "electricity" of the system, it won't work.

3) Imagine yourself in the outcome as you desire it. Daydream. Daydream all the time. Smells, feels, sounds, tastes, sights. Want a brand new Porche sports car? When you climb into your 15 year old Chevy S10 pickup to get the kids from school, imagine yourself climbing into that Porche. Feel the leather liner on the steering wheel. Or perhaps the Lexus today , since the Porche only has 2 seats. ;-) Hear the engine rev up with that unmistakably powerful "whine" of a 16 valve engine. Or is it the Lexus? In the Lexus, you hear NOTHING but the classic Beethoven playing lightly and crisp-clearly from the 12 speaker Bose sound system. Can't even hear the engine at all in that Lexus, not even the climate control air coming through the invisible vents. Just the lovely music, lightly playing in your pesonal travelling auditorium. Se what I mean? Visualize, daydream, think about all the sensory input you'll get while doing the thing you desire (before moving to Florida, I imagined morning coffee on the porch, the unmistakable salty sea air gently blowing on my cheek, the gulls with their occassional shrieking, the sound and sight of the waves breaking a hundred yards away. I was in Florida less than a year later, enjoying the exact experiences I had imagined. And I can tell you exactly what happened, what I did in the physical world to get me here. I can tell you of the things I did that might account for a 5% probability that I'd make it here in 10 years or so. But the simple fact was, I was here in the time I wanted to be, within a year. Things happened that I was unaware of that made the opportunity manifest, period. A lot more supporting detail in that story if you care to hear it, but suffice to say, wan't the first time and certainly won't be the last time I accomplish what I used to view as the impossible in almost no time at all.

The simple and undeniable fact is, if you ask for what you really want, you believe you can be granted it, and you expect it to manifest, it does. Works every time. 100% of the time. Think it's all a bunch of hooey? Just like Rhonda said, in the book, "It is!" Think it works? It does!

So much for my two cents "re-stating the obvious". Any and all comments welcomed.
Frequent Contributor
Beladona_took
0 Kudos

You're simply repeating the book. I think it's great that you've given it such thought and wording in hopes of "converting" people to this form of belief, but there will always be skeptics (or in my opinion, realists).
I'd like to think everyone who has commented on this chain already knew the words you typed up; we're simply stating we don't buy it. It's not that it hadn't been explained properly to us, we get it, really. We simply know what is being peddled in this book is not possible. I've said over and over in my posts on this chain that I do believe in the power of positive thought and that it can change how you perceive your situation, but I will not buy in to this cock-and-bull story that you can “think” yourself into physical possessions.
To be honest if the book worded everything as you did (that it's simply a grand jump of faith, nothing more) and posted it online free for the entire world, just as you have, I would have no qualms at all about anything they say. The issue I have is when people lie to other people, especially when that lie is formulated just to make the almighty buck.

Even for all the "testimonials" I have heard, it would seem the best example of "the Secret" I have seen so far would be that some people sat in a publisher's boardroom and thought to themselves "you know, I bet so many people will buy this load that we will be stinking rich"....
New User
thforumbe
0 Kudos

Wow...Beladona...why so angry at people for making money from selling their ideas or opinions or sharing information. That is the path they chose to realize their dreams and I don't believe that everyone who writes a self help book is only looking to make a buck. Or that if they truly only had good intentions in mind and just wanted to help people that they should give all their information away for free. What difference does it make to you whether Rhonda Burns makes money from selling information that people want to read/learn or where her information came from. If you don't buy it, don't do the things she says in the book. If you do, then try the things she says in the book. Don't knock other people for using her sharing of information as a catalyst to get them started on their own road to happiness. Plus, the world is truly an abundant place, her making money from selling her beliefs or knowledge does not in anyway take away any opportunity you might have to make your life happy, whether it be through earning money or accolades or any other form of happiness that makes YOU happy. She is not standing in your way and is not making it more difficult for anyone else either. She is putting info out there for anyone who wants to use it in a way that works for her and is digestible to most people. Some people need to hear things in a certain way in order to respond....not because they are stupid but because everyone responds and reacts to things in their own way. Personally, I think a lot of the info in the Secret is too simplified and leaves a lot out and is done that way to make the book/movie more marketable to a wider audience. But....it got me thinking and opened my mind up to read and learn other things that I might not have, had I not heard about the Secret first.

Since then, I have read Success Principals (by Jack Canfield who was one of the teachers of the Secret) which is excellent and filled with ways to get you thinking and help you realize your dreams. I also have read the books by Gerry and Esther Hicks which I have found to be extremely helpful and meaningul but would never have considered reading before I listened to the The Secret. Mylife HAS changed in just a short few months of learning these things and applying them in my life. It has changed for the better...I am a lot happier....and yes, physical things are manifesting along with improved emotional status because I am believing that they will and focusing on them and making them happen. How much of that is from is from my "positive thinking" and how much is from my physical actions? I don't think you can separate the two. Once you start thinking more positively, your physical actions/reactions change and therefore your outcome and what you manifest in your life changes.

To Sum up....Don't bash other people's creations! Whatever works to get YOUR mind thinking, YOUR creative juices flowing and improve YOUR mood....Do it! If it makes you feel frustrated or resentful, then it's not for you and you shouldn't even waste your time on it.....or spend time trying to talk other people out of what makes THEM feel good. YOU and only YOU can create/change YOUR reality so if what Rhonda Burns did to create her own reality bothers you....then don't pay any attention to it. Pay attention to something else that make YOU feel good!
Frequent Contributor
Beladona_took
0 Kudos

I don't think there is anything wrong with selling an idea or an opinion. The issue I have, as I have said over and over, is that they are taking something that is pure faith and stating it is a documented, scientific process that, if done correctly, cannot fail. If this were about selling an idea like any average self-help book, they should label it as such. They aren't selling an idea, they are selling a lie. I just feel that if you're going to lie to millions of people and claim that it is for the betterment of humanity, the least you can do is offer it for free. Charging people to hear your ideals or faith (and properly labeling them as just that) is absolutely fine by me. In fact, it's pretty much the American dream: Getting someone to buy what you've got for sale.
The difference it makes to me is that A) The author and publishers are getting rich of off selling an unrealistic tale and B) They aren't giving any credit to the people who actually do what needs to be done to make their lives better! The world is indeed an abundant place, but it takes more than wishful thinking to get your feet into the abundance. If you want a great, well paying job, thinking about it as a goal is certainly a good idea. But you'll still need to learn the field you want to get into. You'll need to practice your trade. And most importantly, you'll have to go out into the world and fill out a lot of applications. Telling people that sitting in their rooms and thinking about the job in a positive manner will lead them to obtain that goal is just not fair. It's not fair to you to say that all of the things you have accomplished in the past year of your life are because you thought good thoughts. You probably got your hands dirty. You more than likely broke a sweat. And you may have even had to take some losses to make your gains. But it was because you, as a human being, put not only your mind, but your body and soul into obtaining your dreams.

I'm not bashing people's dreams. I'm asking them to think for themselves. Yes, anyone can do anything. We can all get what we want. With FAITH that it will happen and a lot of HARD WORK to bring it to fruition. To tell anyone otherwise, especially under the guise of scientific fact is lying. And in my opinion, lying is a crime worth being "bashed" for.
Reader
terry78
0 Kudos

Hi FineGemsUSA,
I just finished watching the movie last night. I also have the book, so that I can continually experience it. I thought your story was amazing and would love to hear more! I actually just ended a relationship with a person that I believe to be my soulmate. I felt that both of us had too much negative energy to continue that way. SO, since the Secret I have decided that I will be with him one day and it will be better than ever. I haven't set a timeline yet and am not sure if I should? BUT, the funny thing is that while reading your story I noticed that you referenced a lexus (which he drives) and that you live in Florida (where both of US currently live). Just one more sign telling me the Universe will make this happen. I'm just so excited and so happy!! It's really great to have come in contact with you!
Contributor
2LeosNluv
0 Kudos

If people didn't have to pay for it, they wouldn't believe it. Seriously...have you ever been given or ever heard of someone given a fantastic opportunity and said, "It's too cheap" or "What do you get out of it?", or "It's too good to be true". BUT...If there's a value put on it, all of a sudden it's worth doing or getting.

I am a fitness trainer. I love what I do and I would do it for FREE, actually in the beginning of my career as a trainer, I offered free services. People thought that I must not be good at what I do OR they didn't take fitness seriously because they didn't have to make an investment.

This is not to you personally, it's just lots of people are disgusted with the commercializing of the whole thing but seriously think, if someone came to up to you and told you they had a great secret that would change your life, that is has been proven in history, etc. you'd probably run the other way thinking, "Why am I the chosen one?" ...I know I would have! It probably would've scared me or I would've been looking around thinking I was about to get knocked off or have my purse stolen or something. LOL...ok, seriously

I am new to really using "The Secret" although I must say, when I reflect back on my life, the things that I really asked for I GOT... ex. When I met my husband in 7th grade, I said I was gonna marry him...We'll be celebrating our 12 yr wedding anniversary next week.

My husband went on a 2 month business trip and I said something to the extent of, "It's gonna be a long 2 months!" and imagined SSSoooo... many things going wrong...Yep, just as I willed to myself, that was a rough 2 months...We HAD 2 vehicles (they both broke, one the engine is gone and yes, my hubby checked the fluids before he left), We had strife & phone arguements, I lost several clients, I got a horrible staph & yeast infection...etc. Whhhewww, I made it through!

But anyway, I like to concept of "The Secret" and I'm now living life full of joy being much more aware of what I say and what I think. I know that I am a much better wife and mother because of #1 the book and #2 my desire to be a better person.

I know my message was pretty long but thanks for listening
"When you want something you've never had, do something you've never done" -unknown
New User
drwrock
0 Kudos

The Secret is a water-downed version of Napoleon Hill. Read Think and Grow Rich first (written in 1937) and then his other books. My wife bought the secret and I have to say it's a rip-off. And don't tell me I haven't found "the secret"; Napoleon Hill gave it to me!
Contributor
Frogee
0 Kudos

The Secret in my opinion isn't really a Secret. It's something we intuitively know, except we have chosen to ignore. Many of the pages which have been drawn together from alleged experts into one book by the author are common sense.

The self has to be open to adopt the measures mentioned in the 'Secret'. Unless one is ready in oneself to adopt change, change will not occur. No amount of reading such books will achieve it for you.

Self help books are for those, in my view, who have recognized a problem in their lives, however, aren't realistically ready to make the change. There is no book written which answers how to make yourself happier, more fulfilled, at ease with your own self. In other words, content with who you know you really are. The person with faults, insecurities, doubts and so on. Regardless of knowing your perceived flaws you still like yourself, you may even, dare I say it, love yourself.

In loving yourself you are then open to others. What is inside you glows outward. What we project is what in turn is received. It may not come in the form we imagined, however, everything has a reason. To know the reason is to feel fulfilled.

I reiterate the above is my opinion. There is no 'Secret', only the 'Will' to see life as an 'open door' is required.
Only Puddles Not People Should be Shallow
Contributor
tomnoble
0 Kudos

Thanks Tom, Excellent use of logic and cogent thinking. I am constantly beset by co-workers when they bring up The Secret, or other New Age concepts that defy good reason and science and I merely ask for a way to put it to the test. If it is true it can be tested. But in an instant gratification society people seem to want to simply move on to the next easy idea rather than put their beliefs into perspective or to the test. I tried to be objective about the book, but I had to bow my head at realizing that the popularity of The Secret truly means the decline of the age of reason. I often ask one co-worker how the "Miracle Cure" of spirulina is working out for her knowing she abandoned its use 15 years ago after she sold it to half the workers here. She is one of the big believers of The Secret, and at least two dozen other new age philosophies including the Celestine Prophecy which I think was once promoted as a true story? She believes in Edgar Casey, Atlantis, and Tibetan Energy balls which is fine, just don't tell me its all real if it can't be put to scrutiny.

Tom Noble
"No one can find you, if you are already dead." Albus Dumbledore
Reader
ArmyReservesSuperhero
0 Kudos

Thank you Tomnoble for stating it all very succintly. It's not just the degradation of the scientific method and the belief of man's ability to eventually understand the universe (which, in my opinion, is a fundamentally more optimistic and positive viewpoint than any Byrne/Chopra drivel) that bothers me, it's also the abuse of the term "Quantum Physics". I find it outright offensive. Absolutely no believer of The Secret could in any way use quantum physics, by means of Feynman diagrams or what-have-you, to explain any part of The Secret. Neither Byrne or her equally guilty psuedo-scientific contemporary Deepak Chopra have any background in quantum physics and if grilled, neither of them could even explain what a Hadron, particle spin, or Planck Mass is.

I think it's actually outright immoral and reprehensible to convince the reading public (in this case, mostly well-to-do housewives) of a bastardized, completely inaccurate version of a field of science ultimately become, if not the most important field of science, at least a significant part of the most important field.

Unlike the ambiguous benefits of The Secret, which may or may not improve the conditions of people already living in a comfortable environment, quantum physics has actually changed our world, improved our lives, and enlightened our views of the universe.
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 1,004 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: