Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: Life-Changing Lit

[ Edited ]
Everyone has at least one book in their personal library that has truly made a difference in their life. Why not "pay it forward" and tell the Book Club about these life-changing reads?

Talk about the books that have helped you to achieve success -- personal, financial, or otherwise. Why -- or how -- did these books resonate with you?

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.

Message Edited by BN_Editor on 03-09-2007 05:08 PM

Contributor
LetitiaP
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Life-Changing Lit

A book that definitely changed my outlook on life is The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz (I believe this is an Oprah favorite as well). It's a slim little volume that holds a surprisingly simple, yet powerful message.

It's based on ancient Toltec wisdom, and essentially it explains that if you make four simple "agreements" with yourself -- Be Impeccable With Your Word, Don't Take Anything Personally, Don't Make Assumptions, Always Do Your Best -- you will be able to handle anything life throws at you with integrity.

It's *so* not my usual cup of tea, but I'd recommend it to anyone (and do, frequently) who's interested in a simple, logical way to live peacefully.
Frequent Contributor
BookJunkie
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:

Everyone has at least one book in their personal library that has truly made a difference in their life. Why not "pay it forward" and tell the Book Club about these life-changing reads?

Talk about the books that have helped you to achieve success -- personal, financial, or otherwise. Why -- or how -- did these books resonate with you?

Hi,

I'm not a huge self-help reader, but there are two books that I've recommended to people time and again.

The first is Pema Chodron's When Things Fall Apart. She talks about those moments where we find ourselves feeling completely at the end of our rope and groundless. My "a-ha" moment in the book was this: that groundlessness is a gift and a golden opportunity to reinvent yourself because you're now beyond any fear of losing XYZ. Just when you think you're at your most powerless, you're actually not. You've never been more in charge of your life than you are at that moment. Nice, right?

Which is a good lead-in to one of my other all-time favorites, which is actually an essay. It's Vaclav Havel's "The Power of the Powerless." (1979). Its English subtitle is "Citizens Against the State in Central-Eastern Europe" and it's basically a political essay about the conditions of Czechoslovakia under Communism. But strip away the politics (not that you have to, or even should), and the central message is amazing to me. Basically, if enough people band together and consistently, fearlessly, broadcast the truth, they'll generate power for themselves. And it's a power that can change millions of lives. Sure, we all have to 'go along to get along' sometimes, but that should end at the point where you realize you're living a lie. This quote is always on my mind: "Individuals can be alienated from themselves only because there is something in them to alienate." (Sounds like something right out of "The Secret" doesn't it?)

Fortunately, my life is pretty great. Then again, maybe it's great *because* I have such a certainty that if everything crumbled to dust at my feet one day, I'd still have choices in my life, and the power to go on.

{ps - Letitia, I'll check out The Four Agreements. It's one of those "own it, never read it" books on my shelf at home. I seriously need to put myself on book restriction until I read all the books I already have...}
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

The Bible

I have been an avid reader since I taught myself to read at five years old. I have always been looking for answers. And the best book that I have ever read, without a doubt, is the Bible. These stories and references are all so carefully woven together and everything fits perfectly. I am a fairly critical reader but I could not find a single mistake. And yes, I did read it cover to cover, twice.

Started reading it with an open mind, simply to be able to understand the references to the bible in many works of fiction that I had already read. "Brush up on general knowledge" if you will. But that object was to become a passing side effect, while reading. I was amazed, not only at the many funny and interesting stories but also at the wealth of wisdom.

Whilst reading, and without looking for it, I became a Christian because the word became a living thing for me. It became the voice of God.

By becoming a Christian and by trying to learn the many lessons in this book, my personality changed. My relationships improved and I became a much more relaxed person. I am grateful that I was born curious :smileywink:

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
Sambutler
0 Kudos

One "life changing" author was the wild & crazy (but wise) author Robert Anton Wilson. Some people know him from his 1960s trilogy Illuminatus (kind of hard to explain that one -- a cross between sci-fi, humor, and a lot of fairly mystical philosophy!), but one little book of his I truly learned a lot from was Prometheus Rising. I'd have a hard time describing it, but if you want a truly "enlightened" perspective on mind, consciousness, and how reality is what you make of it, check this book out.

There are a few things The Secret has in common with Wilson -- particularly the idea that we create our own reality -- but he's also got a lot to say about how society "programs" people...it's too hard to summarize. Just get it!
Contributor
LeslieR
0 Kudos

I read Steven Covey's "7 Habits" back in late 1990s - it began some life changing behaviors - a couple of things that I remember are: if you are trying to make a change (like exercising 30 minutes every day), you have to believe in it, and when you find yourself not making the change (trying to skip a day), reminding yourself that you are not the type of person who doesn't stay committed to changes. I kept finding myself trying to back out of changes I was trying to make, and I would say to myself "you are a strong determined person who just doesn't quit or wimp out - I'm just not that type of person" and I was able to stay committed.

Another idea from the book that stayed with me was the theory of abundance - that a lot of our fears are based on the idea that there isn't enough of [insert desire here] for everyone and I have to fight for my share. Knowing that there is plenty of love or money or respect or whatever out there in the world for ALL OF US, was really life-changing for me - petty jealousies, feelings of self-doubt etc seemed to go away with that knowledge.

Another book that I haven't finished yet but is making a tremendous change in my thinking is "The Left Hand of God" - not a religious book, but more about how our spirituality plays into so many aspects of our lives, mainly in relation to our political climate. An idea that sticks with me from this book is that the left hand symbolizes love, and the right hand fear. That many of our laws, thoughts, prejudices, etc are based on fear, not on love. Fear is responsible for so many of the feelings that cause us pain, and love (most often) is responsible for so many of the feelings that cause us joy.

So, to tie it all back into The Secret, I think that believing in the positive aspects of ourselves, and understanding that there is abundance for all, and that love is the drug we need .... to use these thoughts in envisioning the things I want out of my life, and even for the lives of other and (dare I dream it) peace on earth and justice for all!
Frequent Contributor
Sambutler
0 Kudos

LeslieR wrote:
...Another book that I haven't finished yet but is making a tremendous change in my thinking is "The Left Hand of God" - not a religious book, but more about how our spirituality plays into so many aspects of our lives, mainly in relation to our political climate. An idea that sticks with me from this book is that the left hand symbolizes love, and the right hand fear. ...

My left-handed spouse will appreciate that perspective :smileyhappy:
New User
TheYoungProphet
0 Kudos

Greetings and Love,

I have to say that the Greatest book ever assembled is the bible. Nothing can contradict that. It is the most profound, the highest selling and the most life changing Word ever recorded.

Think about it.. Every other book ever written is a spin off of what God has already said.

Amen.
New User
lovepwr
0 Kudos

Jonathan Livingston Seagull--although it is a children's book, it is beyond inspiring. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

lovepwr wrote:
Jonathan Livingston Seagull--although it is a children's book, it is beyond inspiring. :smileyhappy:

It is a great book. I don't quite agree that it is a children's book though. The life lessons that this book teaches, seem to me to be aimed at teaching adults.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

I admit that Neal Donald Walsh's "Conversations With God Book 1" made a great impact on me and understanding the basic concept of "If I contributed so much to a life I don't want, I then have the ability to contribute the life I do want."

But by far the greatest book of impact on my life has been The Holy Bible. In fact, after reading The Bible it's hard to find anything new in books like the one being discussed here. It is all said in there. But to each there own I guess.
With purpose and on purpose
New User
rcolli
0 Kudos

The Bible has been the most life changing book (no not literature) for me!
Renee
New User
smilenow
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.

Message Edited by BN_Editor on 03-09-200705:08 PM

The Bible, Shakti Gawain, Carolyn Myss all help. Also I find if you think on a subject or problem -- any book you pick up will have an openning to a resolution.
smilenow and always - love, blessings, and gratitude to all
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Hi Smilenow: Thanks for the recommendations, and for joining in the conversation here!

I've always been curious about Shakti Gawain's books -- what's her approach, in a nutshell? Does it resemble any principles that your recognize in The Secret?

Amanda

Reader
mysticpizza
0 Kudos

In 1997 I discovered the book Creative visualization by Shakti Gawain. That was the first time I heard about "Visualization Chart" or "Treasure map" as she named it on her book. The Treasure map is a very fun and useful, but what I really wanted to mentioned is the sentence that has really accelerated the manifestation of many goals. “I’m willing to release my need of…” As I understood, the purpose is to liberate the need of manifesting something, or in the language of the secret, to hold on into images of situations that we do not want to manifest. For instance, a year ago, I was looking for an apartment and I wanted a very comfortable one. The ones that offered the characteristics I was looking for were too expensive. One night I was feeling a little hopeless and I decided to apply the affirmation “I am willing to release my need of not having my comfortable apartment for the price I’m willing to pay”. One hour later I saw an ad on a site offering an apartment that sounded similar to what I wanted. A couple bought a house and needed someone to take the lease. They lived in the apartment for 6 years and as they informed me the rent only increased $160 since their first lease. The apartment was what I was looking for and the rent was what I could afford.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 280 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: