Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
dragonfly757
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Share Your 'Secret' Stories

My best friend's husband has been terminal for the last 2 years.
She saw the DVD and took a $1 bill and made it into a $100,000 bill by making zeros on it with a magic marker. She put it on the mirror to see it every day.
Her husband fell and broke his hip. He was too ill to have it repaired. He died last week.
The medical examiner ruled his death as accidential. All the insurance policies paid double because his death was accidential.
Instead of collecting $50,000 in life insurance, she collected $100,000.
She paid off her house, car, credit cards and is now feeling like she can manage the future.
Coincidence? I don't know but I'm glad for her.
dragonfly757
New User
moonchuckersmom
0 Kudos

I just finished reading the book and want to start with something small for encouragement. I was never a "morning person" and had been having a really hard time waking up in the morning since the time changed several weeks ago - sleeping through my alarm, not feeling like I could move when I finally heard the alarm...so the first thing I started saying to myself was "I always wake up at 6 AM". I even stopped setting the alarm. Well it's been a week and every morning I wake up on time and actually get out of bed, not feeling nearly as stressed and fatigued as I did before. I'm finally a "morning person"!!
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

moonchuckersmom wrote:
I'm finally a "morning person"!!

Moonchuckersmom, this one I have to try! :smileywink: Thanks for sharing your story -- I think it's a great idea to start small with The Secret. Any plans to apply it to a bigger goal in the works?

Amanda

Contributor
pambeesly
0 Kudos

StarBlazer wrote:
Remember the story about the feather with specific markings...in the DVD? Well, my husband told me on Monday, that he was going to really test The Secret (although he's has already embraced it). He told me he was going to draw some money to himself this week, specifically that it would have a 5 in it. He said it could be $5, or $500, but he would pull something with a $5 in the figure. He also said, it would have a torn or ripped edge, so he'd specifically know he'd attracted it. He called today, laughing heartily and said that he'd fixed a guys phones (he is a lineman) and told the guy he was going to do some extra work, to draw his lines up higher, as they were running through a tree. The guy tipped him (phone guys can receive tips, can you believe it?!) $25 dollars! He was laughing hysterically and couldn't believe it, as he was telling me this, he noticed that the edge was not torn/ripped....but right in the middle of the dollar, someone had punched out a small hole, and it was ripped back! Weird and Cool!

AS for me...I'm a professional actor that bills myself as a storyteller. I decided I would draw in more money (we have huge student loans to pay off!)...and my summer bookings have increased by 60% so far! I am tickled pink!

And, BTW, If you think $70 is too much, then you're not living in abundance...nuff said. Besides, you can get the info from just one of those sources...we bought the DVD only. It was a WELL SPENT $30! The return has already been TREMENDOUS! And it's been so much fun!

Considering how money works, it is no surprise that he "found something with a five in it"... or that is was torn.

I'm all for the power of positive thinking, but honestly, people are taking this too far.

As for living in abundance, money has nothing to do with it. I am living in an abundance of loving friends, and family.
That said, I never actually spent the aforementioned money on the whole set, it was just an example :smileyvery-happy:

I just get the feeling that the author is much more interesting living in abundance herself, by selling ideas that weren't even originally hers...
~Dunder-Mifflin, This is Pam...~
New User
Chersull_99
0 Kudos

Ok...here is something that happened to me today. I read "The Secret" last week and am about halfway through the DVD.

I decided I was going to ask for a 10% raise at my job. I spent a week playing out the "ask" in my mind, and being thankful for having received my raise.

The company I work for is owned by two brothers, let's call them John and Ray. Normally I talk to John more often than Ray, so during my visualizations I always asked John for the raise. Well today I during lunch I watched another twenty minutes of the DVD (I work from home) and was feeling particularly fired up and became convinced that NOW was the time to ask. I picked up the phone and called the office, but was told John was not in. Would I like to talk to Ray? I said yes, convinced that this was the right moment. I went into my little "sales" pitch with Ray - my good record, my one year anniversary - and he immediately granted me a 20% raise. I nearly fell over. We chatted for a few more minutes and before hanging up he said that would just confirm with John that it was ok with him, and he would instant message me in a bit.

Well, a while later I received a very sad IM from Ray telling me was sooo sorry, but he had made a mistake. He talked to John who told him that in fact protocol was to only offer a 10% raise at one year. I swear I never knew this, and as an independent contractor didn't even know if they gave raises. Well I had to laugh and I immediatly told poor Ray not to worry - that was all I was planning to ask for to begin with!

So...do-DOOO-do-do (Twilight Zone music)...the universe granted me exactly what I asked for. A 10% raise that came from John.

Should have been visualizing 20% ;o)
New User
daleys
0 Kudos

I have two small stories. I like everyone else was skeptical upon first reading The Secret. So I tried the suggestion of thinking of someone who you haven't heard from in a while. I have been estranged from my daughter for 2 years. It is very painful and generally don't speak about her around the house. One day after I asked to hear something about her either from herself or someone else, it happened. My husband and I were sitting on the couch when he randomly began talking about her and gave me information about her. One week later he actually saw her, was not able to speak to her, after not contact at all in several months.

Even after this amazing incident I was still skeptical. I know that is kind of unbelieveable. For some reason it feels like I am scared to believe in it. I don't really know why. So I asked for someone else to be heard from. Someone who has not responded to several voice messages or emails. The next night I was picking up my prescription when I heard someone call out my name...it was HER!!!!

I now have asked for several things but still struggle with my fear of failure. Any thoughts about that????
Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

br>
I now have asked for several things but still struggle with my fear of failure. Any thoughts about that????

This is where my block is as well. Not so much that I fear the failure of it or myself. I think deep down I don't feel worthy of receiving or it's just my own scepticism. I know that I WANT to believe and I do believe that it is absolutely true that things do manifest as a result of believing. I just can't seem to jump that hurdle for myself.

Good luck with things with your daughter. Don't you agree that it takes more energy to keep things out of your life than to allow them in?

Take care.
"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." Wayne Dyer
Contributor
2LeosNluv
0 Kudos

I was first introduced to "The Secret" on Oprah. Immediately I called my husband and let him know about the show. My hubby and I have both experienced things like WISHING for that "thing" (whatever it was at the time) and GOT IT!! OR the thing we absolutely DIDN'T want to happen...It Did!

A client of mine mentioned it again on an awful day of mine. (nope, didn't buy it then)

Months had passed and it was on my mind HEAVY to purchase it so I decided I would get it for my husband for Father's Day. Well, I was about to wrap it a few days b4 Fathers day, Peeked inside...and couldn't put it down. I couldn't hold it in, I told my hubby he had to start reading in and we would starting speaking and thinking positively in our house. He agreed...

Long story short...since then I have finished the book, my hubby is ALMOST finished. (he works a lot...I used to complain, now I say...I'm thankful that he has a job) N E Way... We are both Leo's...we love hard, but we fight harder. (Or should I say we used to)

We have not argued in about a week. Now, we are a couple who had some sort of disagreement EVERYDAY...ask my kids...EVERYDAY....Not anymore, nor do we see the reason to fight. I know, you say it's only been a week...TRUST ME, A WEEK W/OUT ARGUING OVER EVEN SOMETHING SMALL IS A MIRACLE!!! LOL

I received over $700 of unexpected checks, my hubby received a $500 insurance check we've been waiting for for over 4 months and OH, I played the Mega-million lottery 2 days in a row and won $4 each time. I know it's only 8 bucks, but Once, I NEVER WON ANYTHING!!! I used to only play I guess to give to the schools...but now...I'm playng to win.

The air is "light" in our home and I'm now getting up early in the morning as I used to, my home is clean, laundry is done, and my bed is made cause I'm no longer depressed to the point of not wanting to get out of it!!!

I've posted my "visual check" on our bathroom mirror and made a vision board... We'll see, I'll be truthful with what changes in my life...
"When you want something you've never had, do something you've never done" -unknown
New User
krogers63
0 Kudos

The secret is amazing. There a lot of stories I can tell. I was first introduce to the book by another customer browsing in the bookstore. She had seen it on Oprah and suggested it. From reading the secret it made me redirect the actions I had been doing. I had been looking for answers and the answers have been talking to me all the time. I mean when they there are signs everywhere they really mean there are signs everywhere.

Let me start by saying I'm a firm believer when comes around it goes around. That's why you should always watch what you say and what you do cause it can come back to bite you. I have been very stressed out by certain associates at work along with my supervisor basically taking their false stories as fact. When I began to redirect my attention to the fact that I have helped one of them obtain a particular position within the department that she should be thankful instead of being hostile. I continued thinking about the good things I had done for them. My stress and worries have fanished into thin air. I now enjoy my job again.

After reading the book I have begun think more positive and more optimistic. I started with the little things like finding a parking spot always in front. The person in book laughed and says he does it all the time. I told myself if he can do it so can I. Now always get parting spaces up front.

I was having a problem with my printer so I couldn't print the check that they said you could print for free. So I cut out peaces of paper about the size of the dollar bill and came up with my own design of money from the universal. I gave few to associates at work and then I kept some for myself. My made exactly 10 of them with $100 written on each one. Nothing great had come from this until last night. I had decided to start my vacation a little early and went out on the local gambling boat for a bit fun. I only started with a $100 cash at the begining of the trip. When I got off the boat I had $800 in my wallet. I walked off the boat laughing about how great this really is. Because in the past I constantly stressed and worried about how i'm going to pay bills especially when the child support wouldn't come in. Now I know all I have to do focus.

I have also been focusing on bigger paychecks, now with working 10 to 20 hours of overtime pay added to my paychecks; I'm laughing all the way to the bank. I just say tell myself job security and the attraction really does work.

The accociates that I mentioned early. They have all borrowed the DvD from mean and a few of them gone out purchased copies of the book for themselves.
Contributor
allphall
0 Kudos

To start off I am only on the third chapter. In the chapter, "The Secret Made Simple" James Ray talks about how animals and pets make us feel wonderful, because they put us in a great emotional state. I have a picture of my pet cat on my cell phone. When I am having a bad day at work I take a look at the picture. I immediately feel love and good thoughts. This act always helps me get through my bad day or tough time.
Contributor
2LeosNluv
0 Kudos

Things are still happening...

A friend of mine asked me how long have I been "practicing" THE SECRET. To my amazement, I counted only 4 months. I initially bought the book for my husband as a Fathers Day gift (end of June, July, August, September, middle of October)

So many amazing things have happened to my family and I in just 4 months! I got a great job after searching in the job market for almost a year. We moved from a 1100 sq ft, 3 bedroom apartment in a low income neighborhood to a 3300 sq ft beautiful brick home with columns and arch ways all over. We are EXTREMELY HUMBLE thanks to our previous experiences...

I would really "WOW" you if I went into detail on how we obtained the house...

Life is as good as you want and expect it to be! The part in the book that spoke on -you being the reason you are where you are, everything you have now...you have drawn to yourself- for me was POWERFUL!!

Through my once negative thinking and low expectations, I realized I was why my family was where we were. (Spritually, financially, lack of connection, etc.) I made it up in my mind that I wanted more for me and mine... Some believe and some don't, that's why it will always remain a SECRET!!!

Take care, I wish EVERYONE could even experience even a little bit of my joy...it feels soo...good, like eating a slice of your favorite cake, topped with icecream, and not feeling guilty for the calories...
"When you want something you've never had, do something you've never done" -unknown
New User
lrahon
0 Kudos

For the past 3 weeks I've been focusing on one message--"Good surprises happen to me often."

Two friends who I haven't heard from since art school contacted me a couple days later. Then out of the blue, a New York Times travel writer called and is including our inn in a travel article she is writing. Then I got a really positive response to one of the first 16 copies of a book proposal I had sent out--I can't believe it! With some additions to the proposal, he wants to show it a large publisher! To top it off, a friend left a gift in my purse and I found it in the morning.

I'm not making this up, I swear, this is all happening so fast my stomach is in knots. I was shaking yesterday when I got the email about the book.

Is there some where to get advice on how to clam down when this stuff starts happening so fast?
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 894 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: