BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: The Secret to Health

[ Edited ]
The chapter entitled "The Secret to Health" explores the idea that the the strategies outlined in The Secret can actually be used to improve your physical health and well-being. According to contributor Dr. John Hagelin, "Our body is really the product of our thoughts. We're beginning to understand in medical science the degree to which the nature of thoughts and emotion actually determines the physical substance and structure and function of our bodies."

And, as Rhonda Byrne asserts, "You can think your way to the perfect state of health, the perfect body, the perfect weight, and eternal youth. You can bring it into being, through your consistent thinking of perfection."

Clearly, this is one of the more controversial assertions of The Secret. Do you feel that these ideas can be used to affect our physical bodies and improve our health? Do you have any personal experiences with the type of mind-body connection described in this chapter?

Note: This discussion topic is particularly suitable for the chapter of The Secret entitled "The Secret to Health" (pages 125 - 139).

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 12:03 PM

Frequent Contributor
BookJunkie
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: The Secret to Health

[ Edited ]
This is an interesting idea to me. I do believe in the mind-body connection, but I also think there are limits to just how much you can "think your way into perfect health."

(As an aside, it looks like there is an interesting conversation about this very topic in the Health & Fitness board. They're talking about Deepak Chopra's Perfect Health.)

I used to get migraines, but I didn't want to take heavy medications for them. I experimented with my diet, over time identified the triggers, and have almost completely eliminated them. In a way, isn't this also the idea presented in The Secret? My thoughts and values (avoid heavy medications) led to my actions (adjusting my diet) which resulted in what I wanted (better health).

Maybe that's a stretch?

But I do think, generally, that your attitude affects your health. My grandparents, who are only in their early 70s, swear that they are old as rocks, that they've lived their lives, and they're just passing time until their number is up. I always try to get them to try new things (even something simple like new foods), just to keep them stimulated, but they're both convinced that the end is near. They have countless health issues.

My mother in law, on the other hand, is 65. She goes hiking, she meditates, does yoga, is involved in local politics, and she swears that she's going to die only after eating cake at her 100th birthday party. And she's probably right.

So how much of their health is determined by genetics, and how much by attitude? I can't say. I don't think, for example, that if you have a high rate of hereditary cancer in your family, you can treat it with nothing more than a positive attitude. But I do think that a positive attitude would give you the courage to go learn more about your treatment options, ways of coping with that treatment, etc... making you feel like you had more control over your life, physically and emotionally. Again, it's thoughts + actions = some kind of postitive result.

It's complicated. If anyone has a story about the mind-body connection, I'd love to hear it!

Message Edited by BookJunkie on 03-15-200712:40 PM

Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

There are many aspects of my thinking that are changing as a result of the "The Secret" For the past couple of days the health chapter has been the predominent one for me. I've been wishing that there was someone that I could share this process with. Then, today, I discovered this book review and this thread. Thank you Genie : )

I have recently been dxed with Rheumatiod Arthritis. I'm in the process of going the traditional medical route. Ocupational therapy, taking Aleve, choosing a long term drug program, etc. At the same time I'm already doing an alternative program through Yoga and meditation. I believe that plays a role in my healing process. And finally TRYING or HOPING or WANTING to apply the suggestions in the Secret as a form of healing. It feels really tough to do even though they make it sound so simple.

Here's some of my thinking thus far. Arthritis is painful so to not think about the illness is very difficult. It's in my face a good majority of the time. So far the best idea I can come up with is altering my thinking away from my illness, thanking the pain for reminding me that I need to be mindful of being WELL.

There's another related program/book that is based on this same premis. The book "Ask and it is Given" has a deck of cards that correspond with the book. At the end of every yoga class I draw a card. Yesterday I drew one that said this...

"IT IS NATURAL FOR MY BODY TO BE WELL. You do not have to think specific positive thoughts about your body, but you have to NOT THINK specific negative thoughts. If you could never again think about your body, and instead just think pleasant thoughts, your body would reclaim its natural place of wellness."

Here's another sort of thinking delimma. I plan to take the long term medication because the disease is progressive but by doing that am I stating to the Universe that I believe the disease will progress?

OK. This post is long enough. Does anyone relate to any of this?
"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." Wayne Dyer
New User
mamaluvs2reed
0 Kudos

Though, now I am a Stay at Home Mom, I previously worked as a Registered Nurse. That is the main reason why I struggle with the concept of "God" since I wholeheartedly believe in the "science".

But, I have also witnessed the law of attraction work with regards to health. Example. My uncle had a tumor removed from his spinal chord, was told he will most likely never walk again. But, due to his positive attitue and hard work, now walks with a walker. Compared with my own mother. She has spend the last 2 years with a life threatening illness which has left her with on 20 cm of intestine and IV nutrition for the rest of her life. I thought of her when I read this chapter. She constantly talks about being sick and how she wishes things could be better. She only gets worse. If she would only take a positive position I believe she would be able to learn to grateful she is still alive.

I am in the process of testing this for myself. I wear glasses. I hate wearing glasses. So, this morning I took off my glasses and Said to myself. "Isn't this great I can see without them" I have been living in the joy of no glasses. I fully believe I will never put them on again.

My "aha" moment when reading "The Secret" was when I read that your body is the result of your prior thinking. I am overweight and yo yo dieted forever. I know "feel" and "see" myself at my goal weight, exercising daily, and loving it. In the future I will have the body of my current thinking.
New User
angelscents
0 Kudos

It was my understanding in that chapter, that we are not to stop taking meds or following doctor's orders. I have to take thyroid meds, and I figure that when my thyroid is well, my doctor will declare it a miracle and take me off of the meds. One thing that is a miracle, is that a year ago, I could not afford my medicine, and it became a life threatening condition. Now, I can afford my medicine and have health insurance so that I don't miss any checkups. I am certain that at one of my checkups, there is going to be evidence of a medical miracle. I have already experienced a complete turnaround of diabetes, even before The Secret came out. Even when I was in high school, a doctor told me that I needed to be tested for Chron's disease. In complete disgust I said, "I refuse to have that!" Despite the doctor's pleas and phone calls, I did not go for the testing, and 12 years later, I have not stomach problems at all. I'm not saying that people should be foolish and refuse treatment like I did, but that is evidence that The Secret even works for those who don't know about it.
"Always remember, " God had smiled, "I have sent you nothing but angels."
Users Online
Currently online:67 members 651 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: