Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: The Secret to the World

[ Edited ]
This chapter of The Secret addresses the notion that if you apply the positive approach of its teachings to your own life, you might just change the world.

As Rhonda Byrne puts it, "You cannot help the world by focusing on the negative things. As you focus on the world's negative events, you not only add to them, but you also bring more negative thins into your own life." In fact, Byrne even states that once she learned about The Secret, she "made a decision that I would not watch the news or read newspapers anymore, because it did not make me feel good."

What do you think of Byrne's statements? How do you feel the ideas set forth in The Secret could best be used in order to improve the larger world around us?

Note: This discussion topic is particularly suitable for the chapter of The Secret entitled "The Secret to the World" (pages 141 - 153).

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.

Message Edited by BN_Editor on 03-12-2007 03:46 PM

B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: The Secret to the World

[ Edited ]

Amanda_R wrote:
This chapter of The Secret addresses the notion that if you apply the positive approach of its teachings to your own life, you might just change the world.

As Rhonda Byrne puts it, "You cannot help the world by focusing on the negative things. As you focus on the world's negative events, you not only add to them, but you also bring more negative thins into your own life." In fact, Byrne even states that once she learned about The Secret, she "made a decision that I would not watch the news or read newspapers anymore, because it did not make me feel good."

What do you think of Byrne's statements? How do you feel the ideas set forth in The Secret could best be used in order to improve the larger world around us?

Note: This discussion topic is particularly suitable for the chapter of The Secret entitled "The Secret to the World" (pages 141 - 153).

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.

Message Edited by BN_Editor on 03-12-200703:46 PM

This has always been an interesting concept to me, but not one many consider "healthy". One I can not consider to be spiritually healthy either. Not because a "positive outlook" is "unhealthy", but because the natural outcome is dangerous to many extents. This avoidance promotes a false sense of security in life. The fact of the matter is no matter how much one attempts to ignore the world around them . . . the world finds them. It is not the "secret to life" by avoiding life. The "secret" is learning to understand and approach adversities in a positive manner.

Ignorance of our world and the events within it is a selfish response. It is the same idea which has created many of the issues we see today. Cultures not understanding eachother. Not making the attempt to understand one another. Ignorance of eachother. Ignorance of life itself. What message does a parent send a child when that parent says do not look at those things . . . they are simply negative? Does the child truly learn? Is the parent really doing right by their child?

Let's look at this situation on a much smaller scale. It is the same premise of avoidance of "danger" in one's life. The simple answer would be to shut one's self inside. Time goes by and the goal is acheived . . . nothing "bad" happens to the person. So they think. One day this same person doing household chores injures themselves. Now "the boat is rocked". The plan did not work because life found the person. And what has been acheived? Lost time and a false sense of security.

This is one of those "nice thoughts" but unrealistic because life does challenge us, and we do not always "feel good". But the real "positive thinking" is in understanding those times of obstacles and unhappiness and growing from that experience. It is the founders of all 12-step programs which have coined the the more appropriate phrase to the "secrets" of life . . . "Life on life's terms."

This is essentially a Buddhism thought process. Pope John Paul II approached this issue very eloquently in his book "Crossing the Threshhold of Hope". "The "enlightenment" experienced by Buddha comes down to the conviction that the world is bad,that it is the source of evil and of suffering for man. To liberate oneself from this evil, one must free oneself from this world, necessitating a break with the ties that join us to external reality-ties existing in our human nature, in our psyche, in our bodies. The more we are liberated from these ties, the more we become indifferent to what is in the world, and the more we are freed from
suffering, from the evil that has its source in the world." And as the late Holy Father goes on to reference St. John of the Cross in his writings of "The Dark Night of the Soul". And for anyone who has read and knows this great work, St. John approaches the need for "purification" through "separation" on the road to spiritual awakening. But the is not the end as "enlightenment" would teach. It is only part of the journey. It is in the awakenings that St. John speaks of that picks up to continue the journey where "enlightenment" stops the journey.

I have enjoyed such works as Neal Donald Walsh,Buddhist thought, and works such as "The Secret" but I always find one distinct problem (which Mr. Walsh has eluded to frustrations with also) . . . the selfishness which is naturally the result. The "life is grand if I believe it to be and if your life isn't grand then you need to start believing it is." One person I encountered of these types of notions spoke in terms of what he "deserved" even at the expense of his obligations to family (and there are many other examples of that as well). But true happiness is found in the goodwill to others and the unselfishness of living life. It is the same component that exists throughout relgious doctrine but more importantly is exemplified in the numerous individuals who live in sobriety because they have learned to live unselfishly. Happiness and joy are not found long-term in simply turning one's back on life in my opinion.

Message Edited by bwest2 on 03-29-200709:50 PM

With purpose and on purpose
New User
callitroop
0 Kudos

bwest2 expressed some similar thoughts to mine; specifically, "ignorance of world events within itself is a selfish response."

Bad things happen. Closing our eyes to them so that we can maintain a more comfortable, happy existence is shameful and can be extremely harmful to society. What if the beginnings of another holocaust arose? Should we turn our eyes away so that we could maintain positive thoughts and thus a carefree existence? Would doing so protect us from falling prey to persecution because we imagine ourselves in security and peace? Would we be able to ignore the complete truth in the gradual taking away of rights, abuse, and worse by falling inline with propaganda led to keep one fat and happy and thus unquestioning? What if some did recognize it for what it was... would standing up for what was right...which would lead to persecution maybe even the fate of those you are defending...not "feel" negative because those would be standing against the tide?...yet they would be doing what was right and suffering for it.

There is a very real spiritual realm out there. More solid and real than what we can physically see. There is good and there is evil. There is a battle between the two. Seek YHWH...the LORD... while He may be found. You will find Him when you seek with all your heart. There is not an inconsistent, fake peace with Him. There is a supernatural peace even when you are broken or stressed or going through a difficult time. Seek Him...not the latest book, fad, preacher. Seek Him in His Word...not through another person. Tell Him you want to know Him and He will reveal Himself to you. You will know it is Him if it is consistent with His Word. Ironically, once you lose your life to Him, you will gain life never before imagined.

On the flip-side, if you seek fulfillment anywhere else, through anything else, you will become enslaved, though at times it seems comforting,freeing and peaceful.

If we were all honest, we can each see evil within ourselves. It may show itself in a white lie, a lack of integrity at work, hatred, jealousy, selfishness or what we consider real sins like murder, child abuse, rape... We can always compare ourselves to someone else and see how good we are; but we are required to be perfect in everything to be acceptable to God. We are not. Therefore, we need a sacrifice and mediator. God provided that for us through Jesus (Yeshua). Many will discount this because of the Christian doctrine. But there is TRUTH and there is "what feels good." Seek the Lord while he may be found.
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

How to best help the poor?

I agree with Rhonda because I cannot help the poor by joining them in their poverty.

We have information overload today. We get more information dumped in our brains in one day, than a person got to process in her entire life, two centuries ago. So I have to be selective. I choose to fill my brain with information that helps me to be more productive. Some of that information comes from the news but most of it comes from other sources.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

What two great responses. One, we live in a society with many wonderful priveleges (as much as we take for granted by using the "rights") and having those privelges takes responsibility. With under 40% of the population able to vote, actually voting . . . that's a scary thing to many extents. We have a social responsibility as individuals to be a part of the community, not absent from it.

I am very happy to hear the religious perspective of things as well. Many of these books seem to want to come up to the line on religious thought but are very careful not to cross over it. In my opinion, it is a due to fear. Religion today is viewed (thanks to the media in many respects) as groups seeking to control. Pope Benedict XVI in his encyclical, "God Is Love", explained very clearly the role of The Church (and any other religious group for that matter)within society. A religious group has a communal voice just like all others and sets a "tone" within the overall community. Any religious group, in my opinion, which seeks absolute control is simply fooling themselves. These groups provide valuable services and functions in our society where government and interest groups most often do not reach. But these things do not come about or happen because others turn away from what is "negative" . . . it is because the somebodies of this world march right into the negatives.
With purpose and on purpose
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 603 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: