Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: Your Secret Body and Weight Issues

[ Edited ]
Although my use of The Secret is not primarily regarding my body image and weight issues, that chapter popped out at me. I am a chronic weight loss/gain person. It's an issue I've dealt with all my life. When The Secret presented the idea to not tell yourself that you want to "lose weight" I just didn't get it. I do want to lose weight. I really do! Finally one day the light went on. Oh, I see. To give yourself the message that you need to lose weight puts you in the perpetual motion of always having to lose weight! I've done what was suggested and posted my ideal weight on my scale. I have a wardrobe of clothes (from the last weight loss) that I'd love to wear again so I've put some of those clothes in my closet. There are some other things regarding my body image and the language I use internally about myself and my weight but I can add those to another post. What sort of realizations, thoughts and uses have you found with regard to this issue and The Secret?

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 03-29-2007 01:27 PM

"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." Wayne Dyer
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Re: DISCUSSION TOPIC: Your Secret body and weight issues

[ Edited ]

Lo_Lo wrote: What sort of realizations, thoughts and uses have you found with regard to this issue and The Secret?
Hi Lois:

Thanks for your excellent and very self-aware post! As someone who has always had to keep their weight in check, I could certainly relate. I had a "lightbulb" moment similar to yours, when it finally sunk in that if you're constantly thinking "I have to lose some weight" -- that's exactly the state you seem to stay in.

Personally, I think that The Secret's advice to "act as if" can really apply here. A friend of mine calls it "acting like a 'naturally skinny' person" -- you know, those people we love to hate who never seem to need to diet. Maybe they're following The Secret without even really being aware?

I'm definitely curious to hear what others have to say about this topic -- please do "weigh in!" (Sorry -- I couldn't help myself). :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 03-20-2007 07:50 PM

Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

I do not have a weight problem, I have a lack of energy problem. I think that it comes from the stress. From the neverending tape in my head "You will be good enough if only you would...." Parental tape, successfully internalized.

What do you do if you are low on energy? You specialize in shortcuts. And that automatically leads to more input in calories than output. But I think that the problem is not the weight, that is just the symptom, of low self-esteem.

One of the earliest thoughts that I can remember is about my body. "You are too tall. You will never be able to find a man your own size because they are all too short." Age 6 or so. "And your legs are too fat also."

My first boyfriend told me he fell in love a.o. because I had such sexy legs. Go figure. Truth or untruth, the mind is stronger than facts and I am single today.

Today, I am grateful for my health.

I am grateful for God who taught me about strength undefeatable. And Who loves me knowing ALL of my quirks. Unconditionally. Even though it took me a few decades to get to know God, I was not too late or too whatever. No if onlys here and that was a major turning point in my life.

And I am grateful for Lisa on the Oprah Show. Who taught me to love and accept myself in spite of a few extra pounds that I have absent-mindedly attracted to my body. Because I am worthy.

And so are you.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

Hi AMANDA - What your friend said "acting like you're a naturally skinny person" is "acting as if" at it's finest. I chuckled when I read that because for years I consciously know what I choose to eat will make me a certain weights. I know if I act (choose to eat) the way I would if I was at my low weight, I'd be that low weight. Yes act as if plays an important role in weight. Being willing to act is the tricky part for me. Hence Caroline 88's topic of low self esteem. And that goes into the topic about general health and loving your body. It all cycles in together. Self Love / Body Weight and Image / Wellness and General Health all comes down to Self Esteem.

CAROLINE, I want to ask you something. One can never tell through electronic communication the inflection of someone's statement so I want you to know I'm not asking this in a wise guy sort of way. Seriously...you had said that God loves you unconditionally. Does that mean that you feel that way about yourself?

General question here...You know the part of the book/CD when she talks about losing weight. She said after her babies were born simply by changing her belief's she was able to come back down to her regular weight? Also in that story was her statement about skinny people just being that way because they say they can eat whatever they want and don't gain weight. It's not that their metabolism is great, they just think that way. Well I hope it's not sacrilegious to say but I don't believe that. Scientifically we are machines that are calories in - calories out. I believe the skinny people do have fast mataloisms. See, this is where my skepticism comes in.

I also am having a problem with the issue of BELIEVING. Sometimes I feel almost guilty because I seem too skeptical. I just can't really feel the sincerity that I truly believe. I feel badly because I feel I'm somehow going against the principles of this program. It sounds like a great deal of power of this thinking evolves around BELIEVING what you are want to manifest and I can't seem to feel that way. Any sugesstions?
"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." Wayne Dyer
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Hi Lo_Lo,

God loves me unconditionally and my brain knows and believes that he wants me to do the same. Love myself. But this is so new and strange, I do not have enough experience with love for it to come natural. I think it will take me a while to believe it and do it from the heart.

I just saw on television that the fast metabolism is a lie. It has been scientifically tested and it was the overweight person who had the fast metabolism. The metabolism of the skinny person was much lower.

How to become better in believing? I have been introduced to The Secret long before it was called the secret. And by the way, there is no secret. Secret is a word of competition and there is only abundance. I believe that the power of gratitude is one of the strongest forces in the universe. Being grateful for the abundance we already own.

My intention is to write out my perfect life in detail. And read it every day. Or maybe it will become a gratitude journal which is a mixture of the things that happen in my physical world, and also for the things that I believe are true before they can be seen with human eyes.

Caroline
~ Caroline
New User
Disnyfan83
0 Kudos

I've made "The Secret" part of my life for about four months now, and in that time have lost about 14 pounds. The first thing it helped me to do is stop beating myself up all the time. I now longer tell myself I'm sooo fat, and all the other negative things I used to do to myself. Instead, I have focused on my intention for a more healthy and active lifestyle. I'm not saying that it melted off magically - I have definitely taken "action" by exercising and watching everything I'm putting in my mouth - but using the Secret has kept me motivated and has refocused my thinking on to the positive instead of negative. I no longer am obsessed with that number on the scale. Now I focus everything on being healthy and good to myself!! It pays to be grateful! :smileyhappy:
Contributor
ejohaneman
0 Kudos

Lo_Lo wrote:
Hi AMANDA - What your friend said "acting like you're a naturally skinny person" is "acting as if" at it's finest. I chuckled when I read that because for years I consciously know what I choose to eat will make me a certain weights. I know if I act (choose to eat) the way I would if I was at my low weight, I'd be that low weight. Yes act as if plays an important role in weight. Being willing to act is the tricky part for me. Hence Caroline 88's topic of low self esteem. And that goes into the topic about general health and loving your body. It all cycles in together. Self Love / Body Weight and Image / Wellness and General Health all comes down to Self Esteem.

CAROLINE, I want to ask you something. One can never tell through electronic communication the inflection of someone's statement so I want you to know I'm not asking this in a wise guy sort of way. Seriously...you had said that God loves you unconditionally. Does that mean that you feel that way about yourself?

General question here...You know the part of the book/CD when she talks about losing weight. She said after her babies were born simply by changing her belief's she was able to come back down to her regular weight? Also in that story was her statement about skinny people just being that way because they say they can eat whatever they want and don't gain weight. It's not that their metabolism is great, they just think that way. Well I hope it's not sacrilegious to say but I don't believe that. Scientifically we are machines that are calories in - calories out. I believe the skinny people do have fast mataloisms. See, this is where my skepticism comes in.

I also am having a problem with the issue of BELIEVING. Sometimes I feel almost guilty because I seem too skeptical. I just can't really feel the sincerity that I truly believe. I feel badly because I feel I'm somehow going against the principles of this program. It sounds like a great deal of power of this thinking evolves around BELIEVING what you are want to manifest and I can't seem to feel that way. Any sugesstions?

Would it be easier to start with believing you have a fast metabolism?
New User
OceanDayDream
0 Kudos

The Secret came into my life a few months ago and at the time I was so focussed on loosing weight and seemed the harder I tried I got no where.

A few years ago I did Atkins - low carb diet and it did wonders for me it became my lifestyle but then recently I started gaining weight and went back to the strict induction and during that weight comes off instantly but it wasn't working.

I listened to the chapter about weight loss over and over first thing that clicked is my thoughts I definately saw that because I was so focussed on loosing weight it was bringing more and more to me.

I dug out a pair of my favorite jeans that I wanted to get back into and hung them on on my towel hook behind my bathroom door so that I could see them every day. Picked my perfect weight held it in my mind, repeated to myself I can eat what ever I want and always be my perfect weight. I also started really focusing and being present with the sensations of eating my food.

So starting with these few things it was inspiring but there was something still stuck. After listening to that another chapeter the one on relationships in the summary it stated taking actions to reflect your desire as if it were so. This was it I was still blocking or contradicting my statement of I can eat what ever I want because in my mind my thoughts were still on a strict low carb regimine.

This was the biggest test for me I realized in order not to contradict myself I would have to add carbs in and truly beleive in my statement. Having been low carb for so long I was mortified because I have seen before first hand what it was like to add carbs back in that equaled instant weight gain. But I also knew I had to get rid of that thought so starting the next day I added carbs and when I ate I enjoyed and savored the food in the moment and found by doing that my body knew when to stop.
Also before the Secret I had ordered some book online the weight loss cure and I finally received it when I made this revelation of the importance of backing my actions of what I want so I returned the book.

It has been 3 weeks and my clothes are looser and I am eating carbs again. Every day I am more and more amazed by how my life has changed and is continuing to change :smileysurprised:)
Contributor
StarBlazer
0 Kudos

I have a question...I have the extended DVD and they don't really go in depth into weight loss.

What do you all have that does? The book? The audio CD? The soundtrack?

Do one of these go more in depth on Weight Loss?

Thanks!
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Hi OceanDaydream, and welcome to the Book Club!

I really enjoyed reading about your approach (I'll have to try the jeans trick!) to weight loss via what you've learned from The Secret.

Do you have a specific event or target date in mind to reach your goal, or is this part of an overall "big picture" approach?

Congratulations on your success so far, and keep us posted!

Amanda

Contributor
StarBlazer
0 Kudos

Again I ask....
I have the extended DVD and they don't really go in depth into weight loss.

Do one of these go more in depth on Weight Loss? Can anyone answer this question? I looked at the book at Target, and it didn't seem to go more in depth....does anyone have any idea?

Thanks
Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

Would it be easier to start with believing you have a fast metabolism?

EJOHANEMAN That sounds far too simple. LOL According to Carolyn, however, fast now means slow. Oh I'm so confused. LOL

But seriously, your statement, "Would it be easier to start with believing..." struck me. I was at a Healthfest today. There were a number of vendors for everything from spiritual work to crystals and workshops. In one of the workshops I attended the topic was on outer energy sources i.e. Angels, Spirit Guides, Positive Energy. The part of your statement "start with believing" kept popping up in my mind. I realized that I don't have a problem believing in the concepts and the fact that positive energy works...I have a problem believing that it will work for ME.
Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

Star Blazer,
It's interesting that you should ask. There really isn't a part in the Secret where they address the issue of weight loss per se. I just skimmed chapter eight, page 125, and the only one refence to weight loss is on page 131, paragraph 3.

I believe what I'm thinking about is when Rhonda Byrne talks about the weight she gained during pregnancy. I'll work on finding that it in the book. I can tell you it's not in the Chapter on Health though.

Also, I'm pretty certain that the narrative on the DVD, CD, and Book are all exactly alike. So if you have one, you're not missing a thing.
Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

OCEANDAY - Loved you story. It really is inspirational. Great lesson about old programmed food thinking.

Got jeans? I did the same thing.

Keep up the good energy!
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

StarBlazer,

I only saw a reference to the weight issue in the first program that Oprah did on The Secret. It was a question from the audience, almost the end of the program.

Caroline
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
DISNYFAN WROTE
- I have definitely taken "action" by exercising and watching everything I'm putting in my mouth - but using the Secret has kept me motivated and has refocused my thinking on to the positive instead of negative. Now I focus everything on being healthy and good to myself!! It pays to be grateful! :smileyhappy:

Thanks for reminding me that The Secret is not some sort of "magical cure." Although we can change our thinking and surround ourselves with intentions, it does come down to corresponding our actions with our thoughts.

Darn...and just when I thought I could manifest my desires while hanging out on the couch with a box of bon bons :smileywink:

Message Edited by Lo_Lo on 04-01-200706:17 AM

Message Edited by Lo_Lo on 04-01-200706:17 AM

Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

STARBLAZER UPDATE :smileyhappy:

I found the reference on weight loss in the book. It's on page 58 thru page 62. It's titled "The Secret and Your Body." I'm not sure which track it is on the CD but the CD follows the book verbatim. Hope that helps.
New User
flwrpwr
0 Kudos

StarBlazer wrote:
Again I ask....
I have the extended DVD and they don't really go in depth into weight loss.

Do one of these go more in depth on Weight Loss? Can anyone answer this question? I looked at the book at Target, and it didn't seem to go more in depth....does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

I would like to respond to StarBlazer's request regarding weight and The Secret. I have known about the secret long before it ever became public, having purchased the book and seen the DVD. Browsing Amazon.com, I came upson a book that was so helpful in using the secret just when I needed it; I think that's how the secret works though. I think this book would be useful to anyone who wants to practice this method. The name of the book is Law of Attraction by Michael J. Losier, copyright 2006. I have tried to get copies from bookstores but could not get them anywhere. I finally went back to Amazon.com where I got the original one and ordered several copies for my family and friends. The price on the book is $14.95 but it is under $9 from Amazon.com. and worth every penny.

The Law of Attraction is a most simplified and practical description of what the secret is about. Although they don't focus on weight loss (though it is often mentioned), they do give you a wonderful 3-step formula that is very helpful for absolutely anything you want to achieve. They even give you words to use if you can't think of how to say it yourself.

I believe the secret is about sharing and this attracts more good fortune. I have been the recipient of so many miracles that I would never have believed could happen. I do believe you have to request what you want very carefully, decide how that could come to you by what action on your part, then take action and allow this gift to come to you. My daughter almost missed an opportunity for a wonderful relationship when she desired to meet a nice guy. When she met him shortly thereafter, she wasn't sure if she wanted to allow this because he was so different (in a good way) than the type of guys she ususally dated. She did allow this to come to fruition and is very happy now--he is truly a blessing in her life.

I just want to say I make it a practice to express gratitude at least every morning and evening for all the wonderful things that happen to me and that I am able to do for others. I do hope you will take a look at this book I mentioned; it sounds like the perfect tool for you.
New User
Kalliste
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Your Secret Body and Weight Issues

I also have had weight issues for years. I find the problem with diets is the psychological feeling of deprivation which makes it hard not to cheat, and the fact that being on a diet means you are constantly thinking about food: what you should eat, shouldn't eat, and feeling bad and chastising yourself when you slip. I was just about to join weight-watchers when I read the book, and decided instead to follow the suggestions. The thought that thinking about losing weight attracts conditions requiring you lose weight was fascinating.

I have fixed my "perfect weight" in my mind and visualize stepping on the scale and seeing that. I got out a photo of myself at that weight and look at it. (I am going to do a vision board also.) When I see someone at a good weight I think admiring thoughts rather than beating myself up or comparing myself. I am making believe as she says that my perfect weight is current reality. The interesting thing is that with no effort I'm simply not thinking much about food anymore. I eat when I get hungry but I'm not getting very hungry - maybe twice each day. I eat whatever I'm hungry for. That has also changed. I fill up quickly. I observe that I am craving things that mostly are "good" foods, but if what I really want is a Snickers ice cream bar then I have it. Before I decide what to eat, I also notice that now I take time to check in with my body to see what it really wants. Sometimes it is just water (drinking a lot of that, too) and not food at all. Sometimes I only want a banana or other piece of fruit. I love Thai food but I haven't been feeling like eating rice, so order it without rice. Now that is a first!! It tastes better without rice, the flavors are sharper and more distinct and I notice my body enjoys not feeling heavy or bloated. All this has been occurring without thinking about "should haves" or "should not haves" and there is no feeling of deprivation. I know, and repeat to myself, I can eat or drink anything I want and am always my perfect weight. I am not weighing myself but my pants are looser.
Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

FLWRPWR (I love your name)
Wrote
I think this book would be useful to anyone who wants to practice this method. The name of the book is Law of Attraction by Michael J. Losier, copyright 2006. Although they don't focus on weight loss (though it is often mentioned), they do give you a wonderful 3-step formula that is very helpful for absolutely anything you want to achieve.

Just today I was thinking about this discussion group I'm a part of. We're doing this type of work with a book, "Ask and It Is Given" written by Esther Hicks. So it got me to thinking of how many of these types of books about Universal energy exchange are out there? There's oodles I'm sure. I wanted to thank you for telling me about this other book, Law of Attraction. I'll have three going at once.

I like what you said about the 3-step formula. I need that sort of thing.
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 471 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: