Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
FromMyHeart
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi Amanda,
I prefer to talk as if we were sitting around your kitchen table.

I'm a Nurse, community volunteer, charity supporter and activist. I love life and the art of life, especially the FUNNY side of life. I find life so amazing that I can't help but feel grateful and in awe every day.

I have used the principles in "the Secret" since I was a teen. It helped me to beat the odds then as it does still today.

We used to call these principles, "Mental Training" back in the '60's and they were controversial then too. Much of the principles were used by trainers of Olympic Athletes. Back then it was new for Athletes to be instructed in mental training and guided imagery. Some Athletes were instructed to visualize and feel themselves performing at their best at least 30 times a day. They were allowed to think of nothing else but the pleasure of performing at their best. Millions of dollars were at stake if these Athletes won or lost so mental as well as physical training was crucial. They were forbidden to even consider the "what if" of failure until after the event. This was found to be highly effective. Even NASA incorporated these techniques as did the Military and private business owners.

I tell my patients this story as I encourage them to dwell on the sheer pleasure of feeling healthy and vital again (victorious over their ailments), as they WORK to get well again under doctor's care. Most immediately give me feedback that they feel better just considering feeling more like their real self again. Just that short mental break of thinking about themselves as feeling good again is enough to give them the energy to do what needs to be done, and then they do it and they become hero's to the rest of us.

Notice that these athletes still had to WORK their bottoms off but it was a pleasure because they chose what they were doing. They were focusing on the gratitude for what they had and what they wanted to do with it. This is an example of "The Secret" in practice.

Through out history, if you were a world class athlete or a member of a wealthy family, you were taught these teachings. If you were poor, then you were not exposed to these mental trainings unless you were allowed to join some kind of secret Order.

That is why I was glad "The Secret" released these principles for the common person but I wish that they were described more scientifically in detail so people were not so afraid.

No it's no all about money and yes it is all about mental training.

Many people see the book as an end to Christianity and that is not the case for many people find these principles are the same teachings that Jesus taught and so they feel empowered. Many Bible references refer to attitude and mental training. Examples, such as "Think on these things........" Philippians 4:8.

When starting this mental training remember-
1) Practice, practice practice,
2) Be careful for what you ask for (go for) because you may get it,
3) What are you NOT grateful for? Find a way to be grateful for it (what did it teach you and how will you use this knowledge to make the world a better place)? Do this one gratitude step first and you will begin the journey of transforming your life from one of poor me to lucky me. When you feel like, Lucky me, you will have more energy to do what needs to be done. You will find it easier to believe you deserve good things. You will find it easier to over come challenges, etc.
4) Grace- remember your mistakes and so be patient with others mistakes,
5)Is this matter something that you are willing to give your life for, to die for? If not forget about it, life is too precious, it is a fleeting occurrence, one that will pass, so let it go and move on to something you WOULD give your life for.
New User
PaigeyK
0 Kudos

Hey!

I havent read the secret but it seems to be a powerful book. I'm looking for something to help me be a better person, and to find a truer meaning of happiness. Do you think that is something the secret would help me with? I've really been struggling w/ things in my life.
Contributor
2LeosNluv
0 Kudos

PaigeyK wrote:
Hey!

I havent read the secret but it seems to be a powerful book. I'm looking for something to help me be a better person, and to find a truer meaning of happiness. Do you think that is something the secret would help me with? I've really been struggling w/ things in my life.

ABSOLUTELY!! Becoming a better wife, mother, and just all around person was certainly a goal for me. I once was very negative and just felt like life was beating me down! I now know, it was me who was beating myself down. My entire family have said they've noticed a difference in me. So, get the book...it's a FEEL GOOD BOOK!!
"When you want something you've never had, do something you've never done" -unknown
New User
krogers63
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:
Hi there!

To help us all get to know each other as we discuss The Secret, feel free to post an introductory message to tell us a bit about yourself.

Are you a serial self-help reader, or is fiction your usual bag?

Are you a fan of The Secret, or are you here to learn more? What drew you to our discussion?

Do tell...

Amanda

Hi there. I'm Karen. I'm a single parent. I have son who is 9. We both enjoy reading the secret. We enjoyed it so much we now have the video plus the audio bookss so we can listen them in the car. We are both having great time putting the secret to work.
Reader
mysticpizza
0 Kudos

The first book I ever read regarding the power of visualization was "Metafísica 4 en 1" by Conny Mendez. I was 12 and I simply loved the fantasy involved on this knowledge. She mentioned colors around the body (Aura), also Angels and Archangels, and of course she mentioned seven (7) different laws that govern the universe (Gravity was not one among them, but yes, that is an important one too). That was the first time I ever heard about the Law of Attraction.
As an adolescent, talking about all these things brought me more trouble than good. I belonged to a conservative South American society and this line of thought was very (let’s call it) “different” to what we were used to believe.
Years passed and I continued to believe in the knowledge, but the practice wasn’t that consistent and the results weren’t that consistent (neither or either; neither I think) neither.
In 2004 in the middle of an economic and professional crisis; and with my relationships on the frying pan I decided that my only option left was to have a lot of faith. So I believed, and I believed and I believed; and every time I was scared I told the Power that moves and makes everything “I trust you”. Let me tell you that it worked.
Today, three years latter, I continue to experiment with it. I love movies, and watching and listening at the same time has a powerful effect on me. The movie The Secret has become a very important tool since watching it helps me to center and focus very fast on what I want. I also have the book, which is very similar to the movie, and I keep it on my bag to read here and there.
New User
kaconyers
0 Kudos

Do you know how it is when you kinda nebulously "know" something that is disconnected and floating around in your consciousness and suddenly you have a frame to hang it all on, a way to make it come into shape and cogent being and it all makes sense? I had those "aha" feelings when I read "The Secret". A familiarity that I had been down this road before, but seeing it all in sharper focus this time. The principle of attraction is all of organized religion and positive thinking and visualization and several other things combined. The affirmations were meaningful to me and sometimes presented just when someone I knew needed them as well. I just became 62, and have been gathering wisdom even though my heart is about 19 and very joyous. I have known for sometime that people and things don't cross your path by accident, that either they bring you something that you need or they bring a need of something that you have for them. This intertwining and connectedness is one of the great experiences of being and sharing humanity, and The Secret is a great way to know that even if damned with the unpopular "New Age" label, there are connections that link us more intense than the denominations or cultures that divide us. Christians can commune with likeminded Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans and all be the better for it. Thank you for spotlighting the obvious, for more light and understanding for us all. Karen
Contributor
allphall
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am Allison from Texas. I am a latecomer to the board. I have just starting reading the book and "so far so good."
New User
Tasty1
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Tasty!,
and though I am an AVID reader I'm not an Avid Self Help reader, but I've read plenty "self-help" books in bits and pieces. I got The Secret from a co-worker and actually I haven't been able to get into the book so far. The little bit I have read thus far to me seems "common sense". Another of my co-workers told me to just read it and that I will surely get into it so I'm going to give it a shot. Will be back soon with my thoughts on it "I Hope"

When you always do what you've always done;
You always get what you've always got.
Contributor
paris221966
0 Kudos

Hello,

I haven't read this book yet and I'm not sure that I ever will. The types of books I like to read are mystery novels, crime novels, cookbooks, and books about history (ancient Egypt, Greece, etc).

I've read self-help books in the past. I'm not a fan of The Secret. Curious as to why people refer to it for true happiness?
New User
rooney
0 Kudos

Hi Amanda,

I'm brand spanking new and I have not even read the secret yet. YIKES! But, I'm on it. I'm just checking out the conversations to avoid work.

I'll be involved soon

Thanks for being so friendly
Rooney
New User
lisasorrell
0 Kudos

what is the secret about? and who wrote it
mysterybookworm
New User
Anita11112
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:
Hi there!

To help us all get to know each other as we discuss The Secret, feel free to post an introductory message to tell us a bit about yourself.

Are you a serial self-help reader, or is fiction your usual bag?

Are you a fan of The Secret, or are you here to learn more? What drew you to our discussion?

Do tell...

Amanda

I've read about 20 pages of the book and have viewed about 10 minutes of the movie. I definately need to find out "the secret" as it seems I have no time to do what I want. The time is now and I'm ready to read the book and learn from everyone else that has experienced "the Secret"
Anita
New User
Princessokie
0 Kudos

I am from Oklahoma city, OK. I love reading books. I look forward to reading this one.
New User
singerja1999
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,
My name is Jackie and I live in Florida. I have heard about THE SECRET for quite awhile now but just recently got the book. I have to say that I am indeed hooked. I have a weight problem and for years I have really worked and worried over it. Now, I am pleased to say that I have encouraged myself to turn it over and just keep telling myself that I weigh 170 pounds. That is the weight that feels good to me. I am much happier, calmer and I am positive that I am losing the weight. I do not weigh myself because I don't want any doubt to creep in and I know it will if I weigh. I also have started meditating at the same time and I am so very happy and calm. What a joy!!! Jackie
New User
mainephrame
0 Kudos

Hi,
My name is MainePhrame.  I am a first time author who is self-published and is seeking assistance promoting my new book: Mastyr Phrenzy
All the relevant details are below.  Any assistance would be very much appreciated.  I can be contacted for further discussion at my website or via reply email.  Please take the time to visit my website and please, whatever you can do to help would be extremely welcomed.
Jermaine

New Book: Mastyr Phrenzy

Book web site: Go to http://www.mainephrame.com

Easily one of the best books you will ever read. A very easy read. If your interested in the Anti-Christ or Secret Societies like the Illuminati then you must buy this book-- Mastyr Phrenzy.

Also the website has book trailers. Book trailers and a myspace link.
The book is for sale at amazon.com and on the site, I provide an amazon link to the book as well.

Again, please check out this book. The revelations in this book are astounding.

www.mainephrame.com

New User
the-saurus
0 Kudos

Hey there, the name's Sway .. I'm more into scifi than anything else and joined hoping to acquire reccommendations within that genre..

I've seen topics primarily focused on self-help, which I don't have a great interest in.. Am I in the right place?

Thanks all!

Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 755 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: