Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
smilenow
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

With the realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. According to my experience, self-confidence is very important. That sort of confidence is not a blind one; it is an awareness of one's own potential. On that basis, human beings can transform themselves by increasing the good qualities and reducing negative qualities.

~ His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Hello, I just joined. Blessings to all. Just viewed the video on Sunday, and read the book a month ago. I am open...
smilenow and always - love, blessings, and gratitude to all
New User
OpenMinded
0 Kudos

Hello All,

My name is Ruth. I stumbled over "The Secret" DVD over 2 months ago. I'm not crazy about the name because it promotes a sense of Hype and to some (like me) feels fake. But I was bored that night and listened anyway. THEN, I was simply thrilled! This is something I have felt and used for many years but with a discipine of a much lesser degree. That's a mouthfull, huh?

Other than the typical "Think Positive" material, I did not know that there was documentation of this and it has only recently ocurred to me that it works on negative thoughts as well as positive. I had only paid attention to the effects of the positive.

This notion of sending energy towards something resonates deeply with me and that is what the Law of Attraction is all about.

After seeing The Secret and reading various other books that discuss the Law of Attraction, I have also FINALLY come to terms with God - The Universe - The Divine Source...all labels of the same thing, in my opinion. I had stopped praying 20+ years ago because of the nonsense that goes on in the church. I didn't stop believing in God, exactly. The pieces that I had been given just didn't seem to fit so I put the whole thing on hold and went on with my life.

Throughout my life though, there were times that I wanted to talk to whatever was "out there". I did believe that there was something, I just didn't know who to talk to...besides my cat.

Now, I know who to talk to and the wonderful thing is is that I am part of it! We are all part of it. I did not realize how lonely I was until I discovered that fact.

Anyway, glad to "meet" you all and I look forward to discussions.

Ruth
New User
canretireby44
0 Kudos

I had been studying the power of the mind for about the past year because I always seemed to get what I wanted in an almost magical way; big things and small things. My friends all agreed that "Kim always gets what she wants." I am a former troubled teen, then young single mother on welfare. Now I'm a very well educated lawyer and writer, I'm married to my dream man and have three beautiful and healthy children. Through my studies, I had figured out that the concepts contained in "The Secret" were behind my success in life. I was working at explaining these concepts to people when I saw "The Secret" DVD a few months before it was featured on Oprah. I was thrilled because "The Secret" encapsulates the findings of my studies and explains them wonderfully. I do suggest reading other books on the subject to help you fine tune the process. As for my "username," it used to be "travel_lots" as a joke at the time because we rarely traveled. Since I started using that name, we have traveled a great deal, almost too much, and although it's been thrilling, I'd rather switch the focus for awhile; hence, "canretireby44!" While the concepts contained in "The Secret" aren't the answer to everything we'd like to know about life, it is an important and large piece in my humble opinion. :smileyhappy:
New User
BNel
0 Kudos

Hi everybody! This has been interesting to read, especially since I logged onto this thread to decide whether or not to give the book a read. So now I am on my way to Barnes and Noble to pick up a copy. I'll let you know what I think.

I am a single mom, 9 children, divorced after 20 years of marriage and I could use a little help. I hope to find some answers. I believe that if you want something, the only way to get it, accomplish it, is by putting your shoulder to the wheel and pushing it uphill with a smile on your face.

Talk to you later!
New User
artist333
0 Kudos

Hello from the south. I am a Unity truth student and have heard similar teachings for the past 2 decades. It wasn't until I saw, heard and read The Secret that I "got it." I see life much differently and keep the CD's in my player to play at night when I can't sleep.

The coincidences in my life are accelerating, my energy level is up and life is finally fun again. If the book doesn't resonate with everyone, that's ok. But it must have done something right for over 2 million people to buy it. And I think that was before the Oprah show.

I can't wait for the sequel. My name is Sheri.
New User
Leadershiprevolution
0 Kudos

hi everyone, my name is Ahmad. A fell in with a gentleman that found a unique way to make money and got connected with him. And as an independent business owner, I have been plugging into a system designed by the top two engineers and Founders of this business Orrin Woodward and Chris Brady. Also these guys are the author of the book "Leading the Leadership Revolution" which will be in bookstores everywhere by the fall! Time Warner Picked this up !Guys Orrin and Chris are geniuses and heard about the Secret and told me that I should grab the dvd. So I did, and came to find out that our business is what the secret is all about. We read books that explain the importance of having a positve attitude and going out there and making a difference.They have combined the 3 hottest trends of our time.Internet, Distribution, and the win win Principles of franshising.If interested in more info about how Chris and Orrin developed a system that are taking people out of their jobs and improving relationships and giving those what they want from life, by all means contact me. This is my email address: adari81@yahoo.com
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

artist333 wrote: The coincidences in my life are accelerating, my energy level is up and life is finally fun again.
Hi Sheri:

Welcome to the Book Club, and thanks for your post -- what you said about the coincidencs in your life "accelerating" definitely resonated with me. I must say that I've been noticing a similar trend in my own life -- perhaps I'm simply more attuned to them since having read and thought about The Secret -- but I must say, it's been interesting! If you have some specific examples you'd like to share, please do over in the "Share You Secret Stories" thread -- great reading over there, too!

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 03-31-2007 01:22 PM

New User
RubyAngel62
0 Kudos

Hi!
I haven't read the Secret yet but after reading this thread about the book, DVD, etc. I am going to go out and buy it. All of your comments have me curious about the book now. I will be on my way to Barnes and Noble tomorrow to get this book. I do need to improve myself, my financial situation and a few other things and if this book can help me do that, it will be worth it.
Have a great day all!
New User
CristoforiDream
0 Kudos

Hello! I just got the book a few days ago to read on a plane. So far I find it very fascinating. I have read a lot of self help books - but I still need a lot of help. LOL!

I write a lot of poetry, most of which is not very good. But I HAVE improved over the 3 years that I have belonged to an online poetry group where I can learn from other more accomplished writers.

Live theatre is something I greatly enjoy - especially the smaller venues. I also love live music and am particularly fond of Classic Rock, Blues, and New Age Solo Piano.

The metaphysical has always been of interest to me and I feel a connection with nature. Animals, especially dogs, are very precious to me and I value them greatly.

I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts about this book.

Cris
Reader
L-writer
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:
Hi there!

To help us all get to know each other as we discuss The Secret, feel free to post an introductory message to tell us a bit about yourself.

Are you a serial self-help reader, or is fiction your usual bag?

Are you a fan of The Secret, or are you here to learn more? What drew you to our discussion?

Do tell...

Amanda

Hi.
I loved "The Secret". I felt like it confirmed things I have thought all my life. I have also really loved reading things by Joe Vitale, who was on "The Secret" and things by Mike Dooley (also on the movie). I am at a place where I have really faultered in this thinking and am looking for ways to rejuvenate the energy I use to have about life. I hope this will be a place to read some encouraging words.
New User
AProdan
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Adam. Okay, short version:
Late 2001 lupus snuck up on me and almost killed me. This led to sever kidney problems, open heart surgery, strokes, and more. It's now been almost three years and i'm doing better, but still recovering. My first big step in the right direction happened about 2 months ago. Having been a man of science and only half way through engineering college when this happend, I would have never predicted that i would learn and accept what i have to this day, despite my active relationship as a Christian. I had found the book "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill and it created this whole new method of thought i have been practicing and getting better since then. I then became drawn to the idea of the secret, not knowing it's plot. To learn that yet another tool has emerged to inspire me. I now believe more and more each day that i can control my auto immune disease with my mind and thoughts. Now topics relating to text by napoleon hill, What the Bleep, The Secret, Malcom Gladwell, and more. I used to read because an engineering professor told me to, and now i have a strong desire to absorb and retain these readings. Every day in every way i am getting better and better, with the help of many!
New User
bunny28
0 Kudos

Hey all. My best friend introduced me to The Secret. After watching the DVD together, I immediately went out and bought, the book. Whether or not one believes in the Law of Attraction or the power of positive thinking, or thinking big to make room for big things to happen vs. limiting ourselves, I think there is a lot to be learned from the book. I particularly appreciated the story of the young man who got heckled and picked on at work and as a comedian. It makes you think about how often we dwell on the negative and what we don't want vs. thinking good things are going to happen to us. Anyway, I am Amy, a research associate in an immunology laboratory.
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

bunny28 wrote:
I particularly appreciated the story of the young man who got heckled and picked on at work and as a comedian. It makes you think about how often we dwell on the negative and what we don't want vs. thinking good things are going to happen to us. Anyway, I am Amy, a research associate in an immunology laboratory.

Hi Amy:

Welcome to the Book Club! I really liked that anecdote from the book as well -- it was a vivid example, wasn't it?

You certainly have a challenging and fascinating job -- have you thought of some ways that you can apply The Secret at work, or do you find yourself applying it more in your personal life?

Amanda

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

AProdan wrote:
I now believe more and more each day that i can control my auto immune disease with my mind and thoughts.... Every day in every way i am getting better and better, with the help of many!

Hi Adam:

Your post was certainly inspiring -- to me, and I'm sure the many people on the board who read it.

I'm so happy to hear that you're continuing to heal, and am sure your attitude has been paramount in this process. Are there any specific techniques you're currently practicing that you'd care to share?

Welcome to our boards -- we'll look forward to hearing about your progress!

Amanda

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

L-writer wrote:
I am at a place where I have really faultered in this thinking and am looking for ways to rejuvenate the energy I use to have about life. I hope this will be a place to read some encouraging words.

Hi L-writer:

I'm so glad you've made your way to our Book Club -- welcome! Have you had a chance to check out the "Secret Stories" thread? *Lots* of inspiring anecotes and encouraging words... enjoy!

Amanda

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

CristoforiDream wrote:
Hello! I just got the book a few days ago to read on a plane. So far I find it very fascinating. I have read a lot of self help books - but I still need a lot of help. LOL!

I write a lot of poetry, most of which is not very good. But I HAVE improved over the 3 years that I have belonged to an online poetry group where I can learn from other more accomplished writers.

Live theatre is something I greatly enjoy - especially the smaller venues. I also love live music and am particularly fond of Classic Rock, Blues, and New Age Solo Piano.

The metaphysical has always been of interest to me and I feel a connection with nature. Animals, especially dogs, are very precious to me and I value them greatly.

I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts about this book.

Cris

Hi Cris:

Welcome to our Book Club! As an artist, have you found that The Secret has helped you to explore your craft? Do tell!

Amanda

New User
MVGPACO
0 Kudos

Re: THE SECRET???

WEll, I was bored and I have heard comments about "The Secret" so, here are my thoughts:

There are so many books that basically, if compared have the same message. For example, Dear God! What is happening to us? by Lynn Grabhorn. SHe is states that it's because of high and low frequencies and she explains her dealings with "Abe" being of the highest, 50 dimensionss, while his bro-evil is at 45 with us being very low dimesions less than 12. I think she sums it all together in the tradition of Fung Shui.

If you want to believe you have the power, like Benjamin Franklin, join the Rosicrusian order, if you want a ra-ra style of the secret, attend an NLP seminar with Anthony Robbins, if you really want deep sh*t look up Richard Bandler stuff. Permission to Succeed" by Noah St. John was pretty good. Another written in 5 minute games is "Mind-Power" by Lee Boothby. So, you see there are many ways "The Secret" has been written, it may be a matter of marketing it right.

There is a "Yaqui way of Knowledge" get high on Peyote. There are so many native secrets passed on by my Yaqui race, and I keep thinking it all sounds the same. So, you see I believe there is some base to the secret, SO, like Alcoholic AA states, "It works if you work it!"

Richard Bandler states that (Ferocious Resolve)we are whipping out on life when we are dependent on others, drugs, we have checked out. So, maybe the secret is about checking back in and not been so chicken like me. You don't like the trip you lay on yourself so get it done for you.

I have tried these things, mind bending realities and they do work; but, I was too afraid to continue. Just a quick example, I tried to visualize what parking space I would like when I went somewhere (ie. Walmart,Savemart, etc); so, I tried it several times, and every time, yes every time, I got that specific parking space, it freaked me out, so I stopped.

Maybe someday, I will get to swimming in this theory 100%; but, for now, it's a nice hobby to read about.
Mvg
New User
MVGPACO
0 Kudos

It's worth trying. If we never try why live.
M
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Mvg, you have a good point : there is nothing new under the sun.

Fundamental truth is not something new. It always was, and always will be.

Funny how I was posting on another board, the other day. Telling how thinking positively and what results I had gotten. Someone came back to me, and yelled: Caroline, you are a SECRETEER!

Guilty, though I have not read the book, I only saw the movie online for free. And Oprah.
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Contributor
2LeosNluv
0 Kudos

Hello All,

One week ago, I was VERY DEPRESSED! I was having a HARD time getting out of bed, I mean a really, really, really hard time, all I could think was, "What's the point?"! My hubby even said to me, "I think you're depressed". He truly had no idea just how depressed I really was.

At that moment, before reading the book, I hoped deep that something could come into my life to give me a reason to get out of my bed because even being a mother of 2 fantastic children (girl 15, boy 12) just wasn't enough nor was my super loving handsome husband. Not to toot my own horn but most would say that I'm "pretty", I have a great body...I work out most everyday, I'm 33 years young...all looks okay from the outside...I'll write more on other discussions but "The Secret" has given me an outlook on life I had only hoped for. I am a strong person (I'm no follower), but I related SOOOO... much to the book, "The Secret". Already things have changed in my life & I'm very excited to share my joy. I am no longer living in my self pitty, I am ready to live and feel reborn! My kids are like, "Wow...where's our momma?"

-Thank you for listening
"When you want something you've never had, do something you've never done" -unknown
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 175 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: