BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself!

Hi there!

To help us all get to know each other as we discuss The Secret, feel free to post an introductory message to tell us a bit about yourself.

Are you a serial self-help reader, or is fiction your usual bag?

Are you a fan of The Secret, or are you here to learn more? What drew you to our discussion?

Do tell...

Amanda
Frequent Contributor
Sambutler
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

I don't think of myself as a "self-help" reader but I think in general that visualization strategies are surprisingly effective; I've used them myself to overcome public speaking fears, and I'm sure they can be put to broader effectiveness.

There's not much to say about myself except that I find books of all sorts probably an overly-great temptation, but I am also of that school that feels that a day without reading is like a day without eating a decent meal. As I go on in life I become more and more interested in books which address the question of how best to live our lives. Sometimes this is found in fiction (I recommend Peter Pouncey's book Rules for Old Men Waiting as a good example), but I'll take good advice wherever I can find it.

I'm going to have to look more closely at this book to see what its real focus is. The title makes it all sound overly mysterious but often these things are quite simple once explained.

Sam
New User
kryptonite82
0 Kudos

Amanda_R wrote:
Hi there!

To help us all get to know each other as we discuss The Secret, feel free to post an introductory message to tell us a bit about yourself.

Are you a serial self-help reader, or is fiction your usual bag?

Are you a fan of The Secret, or are you here to learn more? What drew you to our discussion?

Do tell...

Amanda

Hi..My name is Joanne. I recently watched the DVD on the Secret. I am in a place in my life of healing and self-discovery because of some traumatic tings I have goen through. A friend of mys sisters recommended watching the Secret. All I can say, is that looking into my past, I can see precedent that it works. Whenever I have willed for somehing in my mind, it has happened,a nd I suppose it is this idea that I have attracted it into my life. I suppose I would like to see through this group discussion - how it is impacting others' lives and find more inspiration through that!
New User
ROAD150
0 Kudos

THIS IS THE FIRST BOOK I THINK I HAVE READ IN 15 YEARS FROM FRONT TO BACK. I JUST ORDERED THE DVD AND I AM VERY EXCITED TO WATCH IT. I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IN WHAT THE SECRET IS SAYING. IT IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MUST HAVE FAITH IN AND PRACTICE EVERYDAY. THANK YOU FOR HAVING THIS, I AM GRATEFUL TO EVERYONE WHO POSTS HERE.

ROAD150
Contributor
Mckernan
0 Kudos

While many ideas in THE SECRET have been expounded upon before, the overall focus is really positive. I find by simply adhering to a few of its core principles, my days have been bright, cheery, and full of hope!
New User
raudi
0 Kudos

I love reading in general. I was attracted to the title "The Secret" and wanted to learn about it.
New User
mamaluvs2reed
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Amy,

I first heard of "The Secret" on the Oprah show. I literally got chills and felt my insides shake when listening to the experts discussion. So, I ordered both the book and the dvd.

I watched the dvd and initially my hopes were to help me in discovering why I can't get my thinking right when trying to loose weight. This has become much more for me. I have started to re-evaluate my thinking towards everything.

This book has me re-exploring my spirituality. I was raised as christian but have had a lot of doubts lately. Now, due to "The Secret", I have started to research, journal, and visualize my whole. Life.

I can't wait to read more posts and see how it has affected others.
Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

The Universe drew me. Seriously. I've found myself wishing a couple of times over the last few weeks that there was a way to talk to others about this way of thinking. At the same time, and not related to that wish, I've been looking around for book clubs to join. Both virtual and live people. I started visiting this site trying to decide what fiction thriller I wanted to read and low and behold, "The Secret". Thanks Genie : )

I've been a fan of The Secret since the beginning of this year. I try to apply it in one way or the other everyday.

I just went through the threads. Great topics Amanda. I've posted on a couple already. I look forward to this.
"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." Wayne Dyer
New User
RichardHay
0 Kudos

Hi Amanda,

My name's Rich Hay and I'm a 61 year old retired military pilot and airline pilot who experienced some extremely interesting altered states of perception/consciousness during an emergency bailout from an AC-119K gunship in Vietnam many years ago -- a wide-awake NDE, actually, that partially inspired a 30 plus year proverbial long search for Truth" as a Common Thread running through all the world's enduring philosophical, theological and metaphysical systems.

Pedigree-wise, I hold a Marketing degree and MBA from Penn State, was a Management Analysis and Budget Officer at the AF Armament Development and Test Center, and Chief of the 21st Air Force Evaluation Division while in the AF; logged nearly 15000 hours as an Aircraft Commander, Instructor Pilot in the AF, and flew as Flight Engineer and First officer with Pan Am and United Airlines; and was awarded 3 distinguished flying crosses, 8 Air Medals, and two Air Force Commendation Medals while serving in the military. I include this information, not to blow my own horn, but rather to give some evidence that I am far from a "flake" with regard to more worldly matters.

At the present time I am the author of a book (a forty year labor of love)that serves to distill and consolidate the insights that I was blessed to receive during my long search. One major finding of which relates directly to the Secret's fundamental premise -- a book which might better be title An Open Secret; as the basic principles of "mind over matter"(in the natural order of things) has been out there in a very public way since Mary Baker Eddy originated Christian Science. It became even more public through the New Thought/Scientific Thought, Scientific Christianity movements of the early 20th Century, as well Unity Church. Major authors in the field include: Thomas Troward, Joel Goldsmith, Earnest Homes, Emmet Fox, Joseph Murphy, just to name a few. This "Mind Over Matter" (MOM) Principle is also present (if not explicitly, then implicitly) in the inner and/or mystical teaching of every major religion. In Christianity, for instance, this translates into "as a man thinketh in his heart, so it is with him," and "we reap what we sow."

Seen in this light, I welcome "The Secret's" revisiting this age old Spiritual and/or Metaphysical Principle of "Mind over Matter" (presented as the Law of Attraction); just as I welcomed Shirley Mac Clain's exposing such "metaphysical matters" to the mass consciousness of mankind in the late 1980s. In a similar regard, Harry Potter has also served to open the minds of children and adults alike to the "truly magical" creative possibilities of our minds.

I do have some concerns, however, with regard to "The Secret's" propagating the overall-integration problem that Jim Carrie's movie, Bruce Almighty, so beautifully depicted; but I'll go into those in much greater detail later.

Have a Glorious Day -- I Am! Rich Hay
New User
angelscents
0 Kudos

My name is Laurel. I found the book, The Secret purely by accident. I was looking for a new book to take home with me, and could not make up my mind. I kept "feeling" that I needed to go back to the area where the book was located in the store. I went back at least five times, and still did not see that book, and did not see any other book that I really wanted. When my husband asked me if I was ready to leave the store, the book seemed to "magically" appear. I read the inside flap, and knew immediately that I had to read that book. I read the book very quickly, and the day after I finished reading it, I saw on the news about how sales of the book and DVD were soaring. I was so shocked that the book was such a big deal, and that I got to read it before I even knew that. Anyway, I was on the Barnes and Noble sight, looking for the free courses that they used to offer online, and found the book clubs. That's how I found this club, again by accident. Yesterday, I filled out my check from the Bank of the Universe for $100,000. That money is on it's way to me, and I can think of lots of fun ways to spend it.
"Always remember, " God had smiled, "I have sent you nothing but angels."
New User
ladelaine
0 Kudos

Hi, I am a new comer to these book clubs. I seen Oprah's show on the secret (like the rest of the world). While I was going thru her site for more info on the book and principals, I had not one ah-ha moment but about 10 ah-ha moments. I am just getting out of about 6 years of emotional bruising, and had decided now was a good time to rejevanate myself mind, body, and soul. So I have come to this point and almost as soon as I decided this, what appears but the book. I have been thanking my higher power for a few things and now I have "the secret" to thank them for also.
One of my ah-ha moments has made me laugh so maybe you-all will get a kick out of also. I have a daughter who no matter what she is doing or where she is going, if someone has dropped any money on the ground she is going to find it. I use to tease her and tell her that if someone dropped a nickel in a town just over from ours she would find it. Now one day I was flat broke and traveling around on the bus and I was wishing like crazy that I could be like her and find some money just so I could get a drink from the store. All day I concentrated and looked on the ground just in case there was money. On my last leg of my trip while I was on the bus, I told myself to stop looking because if you are looking for it it will never show up. As soon as I told my self that my stop came up. I got off the bus and nearly tripped over cuz there was what appeared to be money on the ground. I got really excited and picked it up. And started to laugh my but off. It was a 10,000 dollor bill from someones game that looked real. On the back someone had written "See, don't ever say I never give you anything!" I laughed so hard. To me it was my higher power telling me that 1- be careful what you wished for, and 2- my higher power has a sense of humor.
So I will be going thru the book and see where I need to apply some of the teachings, and I will not be using this book as the holy bible of my excistance. I know the area's that need approvement, and I know what area's I need to show gratitude and appreciation for. thank you- ladelaine
New User
doriadb
0 Kudos

Hi, I have looked for a message board surrounding the book "The Secret" in any attempt to read how othersw lives have changed for the better.
When I was reading the book I got to page 64 and read about the feather. I sat at my dining room table and was invisioning what my feather would look like. I pondered for about 5 minutes and then company arrived. About 2 hours later I checked my mail and what do you think was in my mail; yes, not one but 2 feathers from an Indian Reservation. Obviously this threw me for a huge loop and I sarted to reflect on the bad experiences that have happened in the past few years of my life. It wasvery true that these unfavorable expereinces were brought to me by no one other than ME. I have changed my thinking patterns, which has been a full time task, and a work still in progress, and my life is slowly, but surely changing. For the first time in the last 30 years I am feeling passionate about life ! I feel that it is very true that we create our own reality and I, for one, want a more positive and healthy life than I have had in the past and now look forward to each and every day !
New User
Roza
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have been out of the U.S. for the year, teaching in Taiwan. When I am in the U.S. I am a middle school social studies teacher.

I am glad that I get B&N messages and was very pleased about the book club.

Not too long ago, I was looking up information about writing a book. One site I came across gave me the option of downloading a free ebook based on The Secret. I knew nothing of the the movie, book, or the Oprah show. The reference to The Secret was very inspirational and I have already read and re-read it several times. I have contacted the site owner to see if he is interested in joining, also.

I have always practiced Feng Shui, and so the ideas from this method seem very practical. Many times in my life I have noticed that when I focus and visualize what I want, it comes about. There is a lot of truth and value to this.

Thanks for the opportunity.
Roza
New User
Disnyfan83
0 Kudos

Hi all!!
I was introduced to the Secret In November when Ellen Degeneres talked about it on her show. It was like someone reached out of the TV and grabbed me. And I have been excited about it ever since. At that time, it was harder to find the book and DVD, but I found the Secret website, and got everything from there. I downloaded the movie immediately. Throughout the film, I found myself crying, laughing and talking out loud to myself (no, I'm not crazy!)- so many things made sense to me now about my life!! I bought EVERYTHING - the DVD, the book the CD. I even purchased Books and DVDs to give to people for Christmas. It has truly been a blessing. I am also grateful to have found this book club!!
New User
mathteacher41
0 Kudos

Hello! I am a teacher, and THE SECRET was one of the books we have chosen at my school book club to discuss. We are also reading MAN'S SEARCH FOR MEANING and will be comparing/contrasting these two books. I have not yet started THE SECRET - am finishing the Vicktor Frankl book first. Anyone who has read both books -- please give me your perspective on them!
Contributor
StarBlazer
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!

I'm so glad to have found this board! I'm a mom, a playwright and a performer and I'm using the Secret to improve my life on all levels.

I'm glad to meet ya'll!
New User
Dylan
0 Kudos

Hi, I’m Dylan. I have red the Secret book and viewed the DVD several time. My feeling is that it’s very difficult for most people to understand that you get what you think about. I’m truly amazed as I go through the day at the number of people that just let their lives “happen”. I’m an architect and furniture designer and my entire profession is one of visualization.

As far back as I can remember this process has worked for me. What we all need to relearn is what we knew as life prior to turning five years old. As children we assumed things were going to be just the way we thought they would…good or bad. If you really wanted a new toy you pictured it as you were falling asleep. As children we didn’t have all the other thoughts, worries and debris to get in the way. Think about it, kids usually get what they think about.
New User
riz36
0 Kudos

I have reviewed "the secret" and I have a problem with the
theology. I also saw Oprah's show, the second show and the
follow up where Oprah was back peddling the concept because
someone did not want to take there medicine anymore...the
Law of attraction was all she needed...
I am a Christian, and "the secret" is very clear that there,
YOU are God!...this whole philosophy is "scientology" in a bottle.
Now, if you read the Bible, you will find some references to similar
concepts, but it is only through "Christ" and only through the obedience
to God. I was very disappointed at the very thought of how Satan has
infiltrated our society with the "I want", "temptations", "pride".
If you think about it, Jesus after wandering in the desert for 40 days
Satan came to Him to tempt with scripture, but Jesus knew the whole counsel
of God's word (He is the Word) to know not to be tempted or listen.
If you truly want a blessing and healing in life with spiritual power, God has
been waiting for you to turn to Him and just "ASK Him, Believe Him, and receive
the best God has for you"
Beware of your soul, and what you open yourself up too.
New User
harumonie
0 Kudos

Hi,

I watched the video end of last year. After I watched Oprah's TV show about "Secret", I realized that I can change my negative image toward my ex-husband into positive outcomes I accomplished. It was a great feeling.

Now I learned to think about positive side on each event. In this way, I reduced my stress to minimum.

I need to work on "visualizing" what I really want. If someone have any tip to do better way, please let me know.

Thanks!
New User
danielbookseller
0 Kudos

I saw this video about a year ago -- my sister-in-law had a copy and shared it with the family.

It's one our favorites and I'm SO glad that it's now available at a lower price and to more people.

This video is awesome and you can view it many times and get a lot out of it. Plus, it's just an upper.

Just wanted to add my two cents, cause this is very exciting!

(P.S.: I used to be a bookseller at Barnes & Noble.)

-- Daniel
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 333 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: