Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Proofer
0 Kudos

Questions About "The Secret"

I started listening to the audio book, "The Secret" and I must admit I'm having a hard time continuing to listen. First, I find it rather annoying that you have repeated to you 10-15 times about how "wonderful" this concept is, and this seems to happen repeatedly in the book. I get the distinct impression I'm listening to a snake-oil salesman who's trying to sell me a bottle of dirty tap water.

And the other thing I have issue with is this. If we are all responsible for thinking and creating what happens to us, does this mean that everyone who has been killed "asked for it"? Does everyone who has a terminal illness "want to be ill"? And if "like attracts like" does that mean that we all only have around us our clones? Does this mean that when our loved one is terminally ill, we can convince them to think and act as tho they aren't ill (including not taking their medicines, and not proceeding with surgeries or other treatments, since they are acting as tho they aren't ill, right?), and the illness will miraculously disappear?

I just find this "positive thinking" theory very negative. Certainly, I believe that a positive outlook is favorable to a negative one. But I fail to see how positive thinking can create everything for us we want by itself. And I also have some concerns with the idea that unless you think of something in EXACTLY the terms someone else tells you to think of it, that it will turn out wrong. So that means that the universe only understands certain words, used in certain ways, and nothing else. And if you take it a step further and believe that the universal power is God (in whatever form you may believe in him/her) then God only listens to certain words said in certain ways, and basically punishes you by giving you want you don't want if you don't ask for it in exactly the right way?

It just doesn't ring true for me. And I'm sorry, but other than an encouragement to have a positive outlook as much as possible, I find this book a lot of negativity and snake oil salesmanship.

Sincerely,
Proofer
Users Online
Currently online: 57 members 917 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: