Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
InfinityinaGlance
0 Kudos

The fundamental problem with The Secret

This is a post I made on a different message board regarding The Secret. I'm carrying it here because I want as much input and replies as possible.

I've recently purchased The Secret, and I've found in it a very powerful truth that I believe most people have yet to discover or understand. I think its message is a powerful one, and that the world could be drastically bettered if others could embrace it.

However, I've also realized a fundamental problem with The Secret. Supposedly, I can wish into existence anything I please, providing I ask for it, believe in it, and act as if I've already received it. The Law of Attraction is EXACT. My wish is the Universe's command.

One thing I dearly wish to be returned to me is a beloved friend who died some time ago. I've spent years asking for him back and walking around, expecting that he may very well be someplace else and simply out of my site. But I have yet to see him again.

I don't intend for this to be, in any way, a "complaint," and I'm not insinuating that the Secret is entirely false. Indeed, the Secret is a powerful and real thing, for since I've began reading the book, I've used it to drastically improve my life.

But where do the limits of the Secret lie? Can I wish my beloved friend back into existence? If I cannot, then what else is potentially out of my reach?
New User
Chersull_99
0 Kudos

Re: The fundamental problem with The Secret

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. What a painful thing, to miss someone so much.

I have very brief experience with "The Secret", but what I've seen has been remarkable and beyond coincidence. I believe the problem may be that you need to wish for something you feel is attainable. In order for The Secret to work, you need to believe with every fiber of your being that what you are wishing for can and will actually happen. Perhaps you'be be easier able to attract your wish if you believed that your friend was just missing from your life. But the fact that you said he "died" probably means that, in your heart, you don't believe this is an attainable wish.

Although it may not be exactly the answer you're looking for, another way to look at it is that someday you will be reunited with him. We all will be with the loved ones we've lost and in the meantime we carry them in our hearts. I still have "conversations", with a dear grandmother who has been gone nearly ten years now, and at times I swear I can feel her right there with me, especially when I'm struggling with something or having an very good laugh.

Hang in there - all the best to you.
Frequent Contributor
Lo_Lo
0 Kudos

First of all, like Chersull, I am so sorry for your loss and pain.

What I have to say is strictly my OPINION. It's not that I am basing it on experience or fact. I believe that there are certain things that are simply impossible. (More about this in a minute.) I don't believe it's feasible to ask that someone be re-born into their physical life. I do believe it's feasible and attainable to ask that their spirit visit you. Aside from just the feeling that they are there (I believe this is so) there are ways that are presented to you if you leave your ears, eyes, heart and soul open to receive.

For example, let's say you two went to a movie a few years back. One day you re-organizing a book shelf, you pick up an old book and out from it's pages drop the ticket stub to that movie. Now you haven't even thought of it since that night but seeing it, holding it, brings backs memories. Maybe even memories of the way you both laughed throughout that movie. This sense you are experiencing is warm and funny and wonderful. In my opinion, in that moment, he is back.

Infinity wrote
But where do the limits of the Secret lie? Can I wish my beloved friend back into existence? If I cannot, then what else is potentially out of my reach?

I think the limits lie in what is impossible and what is unreasonable. Let's say that I want everyone in the world to have purple skin. I ask the Universe. I put on purple sunglasses and act as if they are all purple already. Yet I know that of this Earth and within the realm of reality this simply isn't so. I couldn't possibly really and truly believe it because I know that I am asking for something impossible.

On the same note, what is potentially out of your reach, is anything that simply is impossible.

BTW, if I did ask the Universe for people to be purple, I'd bet as a joke on me that I'd end up walking by some trendy place that has a purple window and everyone inside would appear to be purple.

Keep your eyes, your mind's eyes and you heart open and I'll bet anything that your friend will start appearing to you in multiple ways. Let me know!
"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." Wayne Dyer
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

InfinityinaGlance wrote:
This is a post I made on a different message board regarding The Secret. I'm carrying it here because I want as much input and replies as possible.

I've recently purchased The Secret, and I've found in it a very powerful truth that I believe most people have yet to discover or understand. I think its message is a powerful one, and that the world could be drastically bettered if others could embrace it.

However, I've also realized a fundamental problem with The Secret. Supposedly, I can wish into existence anything I please, providing I ask for it, believe in it, and act as if I've already received it. The Law of Attraction is EXACT. My wish is the Universe's command.

One thing I dearly wish to be returned to me is a beloved friend who died some time ago. I've spent years asking for him back and walking around, expecting that he may very well be someplace else and simply out of my site. But I have yet to see him again.

I don't intend for this to be, in any way, a "complaint," and I'm not insinuating that the Secret is entirely false. Indeed, the Secret is a powerful and real thing, for since I've began reading the book, I've used it to drastically improve my life.

The fundamental truth about The
Secret lies within reality. Of course a dead person cannot be wished back into life, if that's what you're asking. This type of book can be exceedingly dangerous. If you decide to quit conventional cancer treatment and wish yourself back to health, for instance.

Message Edited by katknit on 05-18-200705:32 PM

No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
New User
Spiritoflife
0 Kudos

Dear Friend,
I am sorry to read of your loss. Here is my take on a different outlook on the Secret, you may take it as advice or not.

The Secret has been in place since we all were born in essence. We all wish for that job we all want or for the pair of shoes to go on sale etc.

But in your case, your secret was granted when you first met your "beloved", they entered your life to fullfill a part of you that you may have wanted but were unaware of at the time. Now that they fullfilled that part of you, their job is done.

Where you have been longing for your friend to come back they will come back to you in a way of a memory, or even a new friend that is just like them. You may even have a neighbor that reminds you so much of them that it is uncanny.

The Secret was merely written to inspire those into a more positive outlook, not a genie in a bottle. By living by the Secret you are putting that energy out there.

I wish you the best. We all have been affected by some form of loss and tragedy each day. But how you overcome is how you decide to live it.

Warmest Regards,
New User
FromMyHeart
0 Kudos

Hi Infinityataglance,

I too am sorry for your loss.

This was a good point that you made. I would say that the limits to "The Secret" are the limits we place on our minds and hearts.

If we are open to being grateful for a new style of relationship with our departed beloved, then we can be open to cherishing the relationship that now moves to another format from physical to one of the heart.

For example, I have had loved ones die as well and I sometimes think of them as I enjoy my day. I think of the probable reactions that they would have had for an experience and I savor those contemplations. It is as if they are still alive in my heart. I imagine them laughing at a particular point that I know they would have found funny. I imagine myself laughing with them. Then I actually do laugh and I feel similar as if they are still here.

So for me they are still alive, in my heart. Did the "Decret" bring them back to life here on earth, no, but for me personally, they live on in my heart so they are still living to me.
New User
FromMyHeart
0 Kudos

Hi, I wrote this introduction to Amanda and I am sharing it with you.

I like the play Le Mesirables too.

I prefer to talk as if we were sitting around your kitchen table.

I'm a Nurse, community volunteer, charity supporter and activist. I love life and the art of life, especially the FUNNY side of life. I find life so amazing that I can't help but feel grateful and in awe every day.

I have used the principles in "the Secret" since I was a teen. It helped me to beat the odds then as it does still today.

We used to call these principles, "Mental Training" back in the '60's and they were controversial then too. Much of the principles were used by trainers of Olympic Athletes. Back then it was new for Athletes to be instructed in mental training and guided imagery. Some Athletes were instructed to visualize and feel themselves performing at their best at least 30 times a day. They were allowed to think of nothing else but the pleasure of performing at their best. Millions of dollars were at stake if these Athletes won or lost so mental as well as physical training was crucial. They were forbidden to even consider the "what if" of failure until after the event. This was found to be highly effective. Even NASA incorporated these techniques as did the Military and private business owners.

I tell my patients this story as I encourage them to dwell on the sheer pleasure of feeling healthy and vital again (victorious over their ailments), as they WORK to get well again under doctor's care. Most immediately give me feedback that they feel better just considering feeling more like their real self again. Just that short mental break of thinking about themselves as feeling good again is enough to give them the energy to do what needs to be done, and then they do it and they become hero's to the rest of us.

Notice that these athletes still had to WORK their bottoms off but it was a pleasure because they chose what they were doing. They were focusing on the gratitude for what they had and what they wanted to do with it. This is an example of "The Secret" in practice.

Through out history, if you were a world class athlete or a member of a wealthy family, you were taught these teachings. If you were poor, then you were not exposed to these mental trainings unless you were allowed to join some kind of secret Order.

That is why I was glad "The Secret" released these principles for the common person but I wish that they were described more scientifically in detail so people were not so afraid.

No it's no all about money and yes it is all about mental training.

Many people see the book as an end to Christianity and that is not the case for many people find these principles are the same teachings that Jesus taught and so they feel empowered. Many Bible references refer to attitude and mental training. Examples, such as "Think on these things........" Philippians 4:8.

When starting this mental training remember-
1) Practice, practice practice,
2) Be careful for what you ask for (go for) because you may get it,
3) What are you NOT grateful for? Find a way to be grateful for it (what did it teach you and how will you use this knowledge to make the world a better place)? Do this one gratitude step first and you will begin the journey of transforming your life from one of poor me to lucky me. When you feel like, Lucky me, you will have more energy to do what needs to be done. You will find it easier to believe you deserve good things. You will find it easier to over come challenges, etc.
4) Grace- remember your mistakes and so be patient with others mistakes,
5)Is this matter something that you are willing to give your life for, to die for? If not forget about it, life is too precious, the matter is a fleeting occurrence, one that will pass, so practice letting it go and move on to something you WOULD give your life for.
New User
misskarenann
0 Kudos

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am studying the Secret/The Law of Attraction in quite some depth with Bob Proctor.

I think it's only natural, when someone we love so much crosses over, that we would want them back in our lives. And while i don't think you can ressurect someone from the dead, I do think you can be with them every day spiritually, as someone else mentioned. I recently went to a workshop with James Van Praagh (renowned Psychic Medium) and he said prayer can greatly heal a soul who needs any kind of healing or who may have had unfinished business while they were alive.

Also, I would suggest reading "Same Soul, Many Bodies" by Brian Weiss. It's a wonderful book on past life regression and reincarnation. You never know-- you may very well meet your friend somewhere down the line, but in another body.

One other thought... Your post reminded me of a scene from the movie, "Conversations with God" based on the life of Neale Donald Walsch (cwg.com or nealedonaldwalsch.com). In it, there is a scene where Neale is at a book signing and a woman comes up and asks him why her adopted son died in a car accident-- after she took such good care of him and loved him SO much. ...He responded by saying that the boy wanted to find his real mother with such conviction, that he had to be in the accident, bc she had already passed over and it was the only real way they could be together again.

So, I would invite you to maybe, re-word your desire. Perhaps you could ask the Universe for a sign that your friend is safe. Or ask for direction in terms of connecting with him/her on a spiritual level. (Maybe you could attend a James Van Praagh workshop and he/she would come through?) ...But I would be careful what you wish for. ...Bc if you do keep asking with all your heart, with all your passion and energy and without ceasing, you may be re-connected with her, but not on our human level-- you may soon visit with him/her on the other side.

Love and Blessings to you.

ps: check out hayhouseradio.com and listen to some archived shows. Two other psychics, John Holland and Sylvia Brown have weekly call-in shows that may be helpful for you. (they're on hiatus til the end of July, though, but you can get free access to the archives)
New User
Thewolffn
0 Kudos

br>

I think there are "route assumptions" on this plane that we've in some way all "agreed" to follow - or physical laws. I wonder, too just how far we can push those boundaries. I've asked that same question myself: What are the limits?

In a case where I feel "too limited," I try to really analyze exactly what it is I want from the situation. If I am able to extract that desire, perhaps there is another way to find what I seek. If I were in your situation, I think I'd have to be very open to which way the law of attraction could grant my request. I would think, "what do I really want from the experience of brining back my friend?" Sometimes, if it "can't seem to be granted", I try to find another, creative way to have the experience I want. Could I talk to him in a dream? Could I learn to sense his presence in some other way besides our "limited" 5 senses? Or - Could another person enter my experience that would bring back the qualities to my life that my friend did? Does my desire need to be limited to only one way to be satisfied - only if he returns exactly in the flesh? I've found (on a much lower scale than that of losing a friend) that, once the "actual desire" can be extracted, from that desire, something really amazing or wonderful can be created.
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 876 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: