Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
cshalm
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the 'Secret' Book Club!

I agree with everyone who talks about action here. Action is absolutely the key to getting what you want -- AFTER you've decided what that is and after you really believe you can do it. (Two of the the three steps.) It's like the guy who begged God to help him win the lottery but never bothered to buy a ticket.

I understand that people might feel others won't want to hear this. I can only suggest that when you're acting on something you want desperately, it's strange how it doesn't seem like work! You're going after something and it's fun and exciting to watch it develop -- even if you're pretty tired at night from all that work!

Last year my son wanted to go on a student ambassador trip to Canada. He'd been chosen, which was an honor, but the price tag was hefty: Almost $3,500 all told. We didn't have it. But I decided I could manage the deposit and somehow I would find a way to get the rest. I had no idea how.

Well, I WAS inspired -- ideas began to pop into my head about what I could do to raise funds, and though we were scrambling for awhile, the force of our belief really helped. My list on Yahoo contributed enormously, as did the author of the book we study; the mayor of our town chipped in; and my son, whose belief was also high, sold discount coupon books door to door while I had yard sales and sold autographed copies of my own novel (I'm a published author).

We raised the money, and he went to Canada -- and it was the trip of his life. Was it a lot of work? Well, yeah -- but you know something? I was so busy being inspired that it didn't feel like work! And looking back, what I remember is the satisfaction of paying his tuition in full and seeing him go off. I don't remember the `work' part at all. It didn't feel like something I was reluctant to do; it felt like something I was excited to do.

So I suppose the work is really all in how you look at it. Frankly, what I find work is being an employee, and helping others' business dreams come true. That, to me, is really work. Going after something I want doesn't feel the same at all.

Any thoughts?

Susan
Reader 2
Zephyr
0 Kudos

Theoldkid,
I absolutely agree with you. The secret is to open our eyes and see opportunities around us and just take them. If you REALLY want something, you'll get it.
Regarding the work that has to be done to achieve your goal, from my personal experience, I can say that you don't even notice that part, if you work toward something that you want. It's like going through a hot dessert and seeing a cool lake in a distance. Wouldn't you run to the lake without even thinking how tired you are? When you see your goals clearly (not hidden behind all the obstacles), all you have to do is run toward them, and it's really not hard to do. Maybe that's why the book doesn't talk about taking actions, because they come naturally if you learn to see your opportunities.
Contributor
theoldkid
0 Kudos

In response to cshalm and Zephyr

I think you two hit the nail on the head, but I think we have all started using the wrong word here. In the book and in the DVD the term that is used is ACTION. We must be ready to take action. No one said anything about working. The only difference between work and play is our atitude toward it. Enough said on that. You said it very well, Susan. "...work is reallly all in how you look at it." This is fun stuff and I, for one, love to play!

Let's play!

ed
New User
sp1227
0 Kudos

personally, i think the secret is a bunch of garbage.

i find it rather ludicrous that something so ethereal as "the secret" can be manifested in one's life - leading to great success, wealth, happiness...etc, etc, cliche, cliche....

i suppose the author can claim "the secret" has changed her life considering people purchased vast quantities of her book. last time i checked, one of the most elementary economic identities is that revenue = price * quantity...

enlightment, happiness, financial prosperty, and such isn't contingent upon one's knowledge of "the secret." it is, instead, a fuction one's drive, perserverance, and eduction.

but then again, what would i know? i'm only a lowly college student.

cheers,

-s
"it is a wrong perceptiont to believe you can eliminate risk just because you can measure it"

-the venerable robert merton
New User
Gwenydal
0 Kudos

I find this conversation very interesting. I have not read the 'Secret', but am familiar with Dyer and Abraham-Hicks. I agree with the idea that it seems rather peculiar that the people who are telling us these ideas, make their money from telling us their ideas.

It reminds me of a verse from the Tao Te Ching:
Those who know do not talk.
Those who talk do not know.

Besides that...
all I can say is....
be careful what you wish for...
or visualize...

And, even Oprah has responded to these discussions and has said now, that this is only one principle, the LOA, and is not to be thought of as the answer to all problems.

Geesh... ya think so?
Contributor
theoldkid
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Gwenydal, I find your comments rather interesting as well.
Yes the folks passing on this Secret are making money by doing so. That is not unusual, but rather quite common, since everyone who propagates any concept or philosophy in the written media (i.e. books or DVDs or books on tape or CD) makes money on the proceeds of those sales. Even the many authors of books on the Tao (yes I have read one of them, and yes the book was purchased) earn royalties from the sale of their books. The writers, producers, and other contributers to the Secret also earned money from that venture and that was very likely their intention when they set out on this journey.

You quote, very accurately, the Tao
Those who know do not talk.
Those who talk do not know.

I acquired my information on the Secret from the book, but those who talk do not know, etc.
You acquired your information on the Tao from a book, but those who talk do not know, etc.

I do not see any difference in the two statements.

I do agree with you 100% in that you must be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!

Oprah is also right in that this is not THE answer to all problems, but the concepts presented certainly can not hurt when applied to practically any situation.
The Secret presents an option and perhaps even a path to something far greater.

You say you have not read it or seen the DVD, you ought to, but read it with an open mind and objectively consider its concepts. You may be surprised at what you find or you may find nothing.

In either case, happy reading.

thanks,
e!

Message Edited by theoldkid on 03-31-200709:13 PM

Message Edited by theoldkid on 03-31-200709:14 PM

Message Edited by theoldkid on 03-31-200709:16 PM

New User
romiepalms
0 Kudos

Ok, this is my first online Book Club adventure. Fasinating discussions on The Secret. Two questions plaese...is this a good book for a fisrt timer to the Book Club world? Second, see there is a book a DVD and an audiotape of the Secret ...will the book suffice for now?
Reader 2
Zephyr
0 Kudos

Gwenydal,
Would you prefer the author give the book out for free for you to believe in it?
For people to read it needs to be in bookstores, but then it has to have a price.
In my opinion the book is a success not because the author tries too hard to sell it, but because it resonates with many people.
Contributor
theoldkid
0 Kudos

Romiepalms,
The book is the complete unabridged version. The CD may be abridged so check and make sure that it is the 4 CD set and is UNABRIDGED. That way you know you are getting the full book version. The DVD is very abreviated from the book, but hits enough of the highlights so that it could stand alone if needed. I personally would recommend the book unless you drive a lot, then I would say it is a toss up for the CD. Whichever you choose, as i have suggested many times, read it with an open mind and always look for the big picture perspective.

Happy learning,
e!
New User
thforumbe
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone! I am excited to join this forum! My best friend has been doing a lot of research/soul searching for some time now. It has led her to read lots of great books and learn lots of wonderful new things. She has shared a lot with me and I've tried to keep up although I don't have the same kind of time to devote to it that she does. Along the way, I read about Chakra Balancing, listened to a lot of Dr. Wayne Dyer's work and various other podcasts from Hay House Radio. Then my friend found "What the Bleep Do We Know" which I found extremely interesting. Then she found "The Laws of Attraction" by Gerry & Esther Hicks which I really loved. I don't think I would have even listened to it if I hadn't already watched "What the Bleep" Then she found the "SECRET" video and we watched it together. Then I shared it with my husband and since then, other people too. It is amazing and my life has really changed a lot since then. Maybe from a combination of all these things but the Secret was easy to grasp right away. I am wondering a few things:

1. How you would compare "What the Bleep" with the "Secret"
2. If I have seen the Secret movie, is there a lot more info I am missing in the book?
3. What would you reccommend for the next best book (preferably available as audiobook)for me? I have listened to The Laws of Attraction multiple times and The Success Principles by Jack Canfield too. Both excellent! I want to learn more how to apply the laws of attraction, etc.

One thing I find interesting is that since I saw the Secret...I am seeing it EVERYWHERE... in one way or another. Too often to be a coincidence....just running into other people who are aware of it, finding it connected to other things I am reading,learning or looking at on a daily basis. Never heard of it before, but once I saw it, I haven't stopped hearing about it in one way or another. Just thought I'd pass that on. Once you open up your mind to something, it seems to just keep opening up more doors for you and leading you to more and more things you are looking for.
New User
prettynpink22
0 Kudos

My mom loves the secert it has some very good life lessons!!! happy reading!!!

nora & shannon
Reader
L-writer
0 Kudos

I'm definitely late in joining the discussion and a newbie to book clubs. I was excited to join though because I really feel "The Secret" gives some insights into why our life is the way it is. If we are really honest, we see we really have created everything around us. Sometimes what we see isn't easy and can leave us feeling, "Why in the world would I have created this?!" But, what I find encouraging is we always have the ability to create a different picture.
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

L-writer wrote:
Sometimes what we see isn't easy and can leave us feeling, "Why in the world would I have created this?!" But, what I find encouraging is we always have the ability to create a different picture.

So true, so true, L-writer. Honestly, I feel like the hardest thing for me to accept about The Secret is that somehow I'm at "fault" if I experience something negative.

But (as I've said in other posts) what helps me to come to terms with that is instead of calling it "fault" I call it "responsibility" -- seems to frame things in a better light!

Do you have a favorite chapter you'd like to highlight in The Secret book?

Amanda

Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 1,005 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: