Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Welcome to the 'Secret' Book Club!

[ Edited ]
Hello Barnes & Noble Book Club Folks:

I'm Amanda, one of the Editors here at Barnes & Noble.com. I've been working "behind the scenes" on our new Book Clubs for a while now, and am thrilled to have the opportunity to moderate our online discussion of The Secret. Whether it's to blissfully sing its praises or debate its claims, it seems that everyone is talking about this book and DVD, and their approach to using positive thinking to achieve your wildest dreams. You've seen it featured on Oprah, you've read about it in the headlines, and now, here's your chance to discuss it online! This is the place to analyze, ask questions, give advice, and share your success stories (and, don't forget, opinions) about this fascinating phenomenon.

I've provided a bit of background information and some initial discussion topics on the board to get things started, but you should definitely feel free to start a New Message at any time. From your thoughts on using the principles set forth in The Secret to get rich, find love, heal yourself -- even change the world! -- to the notion that you are the creator of your own reality, I'm looking forward to what I'm sure will be a rousing and revelatory discussion about this much buzzed-about book.

Welcome, and enjoy!

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 03-13-2007 11:39 AM

New User
MonicaBaby
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the 'Secret' Book Club!

I think this is just the best idea. When i first heard about this I was quite skeptical but I saw Oprah's show about it and really think there's something there!

I mean positive visualizations might not be like a magic pill but it can't hurt, right?
Contributor
LetitiaP
0 Kudos

I agree, MonicaBaby -- while I certainly don't think it's a magic cure-all, positive thinking never hurts! To me, The Secret is all about harnessing the power/energy of positive thinking and applying it to your life in ways that will bring about actual results. I'm a bit more skeptical about some issues addressed in the book more than others, but overall, I have to say, I'm intrigued! Looking forward to more discussion...

Letitia
New User
glo923
0 Kudos

Hi!
I just bought the book as I was very intrigued by it. At first I was skeptical when I started reading. As I continue I am very open minded about it and finding the book very interesting. Positive thinking is certainly better that negative and I didn't realize how negative my thoughts were (unconsciously) I think if everybody changes their way of thinking things will certainly get better. I am not finished with the book yet, but as I continue reading I'll come back and share my thoughts with you all.
Thank you
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Hi MonicaBaby, LetitiaP, and glo923:

Great to have you here, and welcome! I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experiences after having read/absorbed The Secret. If you feel like sharing -- what aspects of your life do you feel you want to apply the ideas in the book to the most?

Amanda

New User
cgscho
0 Kudos

MonicaBaby wrote:
I think this is just the best idea. When i first heard about this I was quite skeptical but I saw Oprah's show about it and really think there's something there!

I mean positive visualizations might not be like a magic pill but it can't hurt, right?

I am happy to see that this book club exists. I am anxious to learn from other members about reading they have done in related topics to reinforce the ideas raised in this book.

In the early nineties, I had the opportunity to facilitate a program similar to this one with employees of the company I worked for at that time. It was a series of seminars provided by a company called The Pacific Instititute, led by Lou Tice.

It was a life-changing event for me and for some of the 100 others who participated in my sessions.

Since that time, I have been a "believer" in the ideas contained in The Secret. At times, I have drifted away from these disciplines.

Just the same, I know from experience that this is a well-grounded approach to life change based upon my own experience along with my studies over the years.

I look forward to any discussions that may ensue.

For those who try this approach, support and encouragement are needed.

Best wishes.

Carl
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello Carl, and welcome!

The program you facilitated sounds very interesting. What elements in The Secret most echo that experience -- if you don't mind sharing?

I can see how it would be all too easy to "drift" out of the habit of thinking positively, as The Secret advises. Any tips to keeping the practice up? I'd love to hear them, and I'm sure the Book Club would as well!

Amanda

Message Edited by Amanda_R on 03-20-2007 07:42 PM

Frequent Contributor
Slade_Rasputin_Wilson
0 Kudos

I am disappointed that this is an actual book club. I have watched the Secret on DVD and find it laughable at best...

First off the speakers are constantly misquoting famous people such as Einstien. They apply his theory of relativity E=MC^2 to the secret and it has nothing to do with anything they are spicificly mentioning in the movie. It's understandable why the author's life has changed; she freaking wrote a book that a billion suckers are willing to pay for.
Let's not change the world,
but make another one, just for you and me-Nell
New User
cshalm
0 Kudos

I'm delighted that there's a SECRET book club on B&N, but a little saddened that some people who have posted here do not seem to grasp how much there is to THE SECRET (especially if they only saw something about it on Oprah). It's great that the word is getting out, but thinking of it as little more than `positive visualizations' is doing THE SECRET a major disservice. There is so much more to the Law of Attraction than that!

It can change your life completely if you understand and use it properly. It certainly has changed mine. And the most important part of it -- which is only touched on in THE SECRET and needs to be dealt with at greater length -- is the fact that you CANNOT change your life or use LOA completely unless you take ACTION. Of course it's important to understand how your thoughts are molding your life -- but without taking action based on the correct thoughts, your life will not change.

I moderate a list on Yahoo! that deals with this subject (not THE SECRET directly but LOA and books, movies, etc. that deal with it). Don't know if I'd be allowed to post the link to it (how about it, Amanda?), but very glad to be part of this discussion!

Susan
New User
bklover
0 Kudos

I have read the book, watched the DVD & listen to the audio book. I find it goes well with Dr Wayne Dyers books & tapes. also Norman Vincent Peals' Power of Positive Thinking.

Reintroduction to things I've read & used in the past has been motivating for me.

I think one can take what is useful to them & leave the rest. While this new work tends to be controversal it at least makes one re-examine their mind set. If all one does is complain about the mountain rather than figure out how to go around, over or thru it, one stays in place.
New User
Truebeliever
0 Kudos

I have seen the secret and have been living by it for almost 2 months now. I think what people are failing to realize is that the secret is more than just about positive thinking but it's about positive action as well. The universe, energy and God are all the same thing. Seeing this DVD has brought me closer to God and has strenghthened my faith in him. Although the Secret makes attempts to not overemphasize on God, it certainly doesn't discount him. This is more than sitting around thinking positive it's about taking that positive energy and putting it into action. God talks to us all the time but we refuse to listen and then blame him when things are not going right in our lives.

I wake up every day thankful for what I have and I ask God (or for some the universe) to keep me focused in my time of weakness. There are many people out there ready to bad mouth the secret, but I will tell you this: People have come into my office feeling terrible about themselves and their situation and through my exuding positive energy they have left feeling 100% better and encouraged. How could this be a bad thing. The secret is about feeling good and I have a problem with anyone who tries to take that away from someone. Remember, the secret says to avoid negativity at all cost. It causes you to loose focus of your goals (doesn't that sound familiar (i.e. the devil).

For me, the secret is about building that personal relationship with God and if you continue to live by his will and be good to his children (positive thinking and action), he will bless you more and more to allow you to bless others. God is good all day every day.
New User
Ceallaigh1
0 Kudos

bklover wrote:
I have read the book, watched the DVD & listen to the audio book. I find it goes well with Dr Wayne Dyers books & tapes. also Norman Vincent Peals' Power of Positive Thinking.

Reintroduction to things I've read & used in the past has been motivating for me.

I think one can take what is useful to them & leave the rest. While this new work tends to be controversal it at least makes one re-examine their mind set. If all one does is complain about the mountain rather than figure out how to go around, over or thru it, one stays in place.

That's exactly the key--that it's a refresher for things you already know. My biggest concern about the book is that people who have never been introduced to this philosophy will take the book too literally, not win the lotto, and discount the philosophy behind it. It's valuable to think positively, regard everything as good, believe in yourself, etc. But it's not as simple as "wishing will make it so." It takes a lifetime of right thinking, for want of a better phrase, to become a true Christian, Buddhist, Hindu or human. It's not tied to a religion, but it's at the bottom of all true religions--if you live the tenets of your religion, you will think positively and act positively, and believe in yourself and the universe. If you don't have a religion to believe in, then this book is not an adequate substitute. There are far better books teaching this philosophy in a more well-rounded way.
New User
fullbrightherbs
0 Kudos

All I can say about the secret is WOOOW. I love it. I have been using the secret since July 2006 and I have seen a dramatic change in my life, business and family. The secret teaches you how to become one with the universe and the people around you. Like people have been saying the secret has been around for centuries. I love the spiritual power you acquire when you use the secret. I have so much gratitude for the making of the secret now I know where I belong. Also once you get into the secret you will receive more rewards as far as the information highway goes. This is even without a lot of the cost that people are charging out there for information. Thanks and have a great life Gina
New User
KevinBerry
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I agree, the movie, which I've watched and listened to at least 30 times puts lots of emphasis on correct thinking and feeling, but really underemphasises the need to work.

The film is a contradiction to Genesis saying "By the sweat of thy brow shalt thou earn thy bread all the days of thy life" and I wondered how the secret fits in with that principle.

I finally realized that reduced to simplest terms, The Secret is selling something for nothing, and wouldn't everyone love to have some of that!

I don't know of one wealthy person who didn't have their own fair share of difficulties to work through and simply thought and felt their way to abundance.

Jack CanField thought and felt his way to abundance, but it was only after he had put in the work to actually write that book, which wasn't emphasised at all.

Loral Langemeier (The Millionaire Maker) said at one of her seminars most of the overnight millionaire success stories she knows of have been 30 years in the making.

I do agree that positive thinking is beneficial, but I think people need to make sure watching this film to not come away with the impression that we can simply think and feel our way to joy and abundance without work.

One last comment. The movie says no one will stand in judgement of our lives now or ever. This is a contradiction to the Bible, and it's like the Devil saying there's no God; so just do as you please.

We are free to choose how we will live our lives, but we are not free to choose the consequences of those choices--which is judgement. Good choices lead to good results; judgement is necessary because without it, life would be chaos.

With the above in mind, I love the movie and highly recommend it to everyone.

Kevin Berry

Message Edited by KevinBerry on 03-29-200712:20 PM

New User
sswriter
0 Kudos

It is unfortunate that there is a heavy emphasis in the book about just three steps - ask, believe, and receive. These are straight out of Abraham-Hicks, and I'm afraid it will leave a lot of people frustrated. They do talk a little bit about "inspired action," but still de-emphasize "doing."

What isn't said is that every person interviewed for the book works 60-80 hour weeks. They didn't achieve the level of success they have without a great deal of action. I know Loral, and a slow week for her is 60 hours, even with two young children.

The real secret is that they get a clear picture of what they want, believe they can have it, AND go into action toward that picture with a determined and laser-sharp focus. Even the author spent a great deal of time in action. She didn't just sit and "feel" things coming to her. She made calls, talked to people, and few to the U.S. for the interviews.

If you read The Science of Getting Rich (the book that inspired the author), you'll see that Mr. Wattles also talks about having to take action. He calls it "acting in the certain way," which roughly translated means that you focus on the outcome you want as you act in the present moment. Action in the present moment means that you do all you can do with what you know and what you have. But you do take action.
BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

Welcome, everyone!

It's so great to see so many new folks adding to our conversation about The Secret this week. Thanks to you all for posting your introductions, experiences, and questions -- and please do keep them coming!

Have a look at the various Discussion Topics and let us know your thoughts -- or, of course, feel free to start new ones.

I must say that I'm surprised that the Discussion Topic about the chapter called "The Secret and Money" isn't flooded with posts (yet), as financial abundance seems to be close to the top of many Secret wish lists out there... why not have a look, and post your thoughts?

Again, glad to see you all here, and here's to a lively conversation about this breakout book!

Amanda

New User
cafeamer
0 Kudos

I've read a number of responses to the Secret and find they mostly reponses
form women.
I can't believe men don't want enlightment. Most speakers on on PBS are men Dwyer,Deepak...etc.
Just an observation....Rick
Contributor
theoldkid
0 Kudos

I have read the comments here and would like to comment on several of them. Is The Secret a magic pill? Not in the true sense of what we think of a magic pill, no. Are the results magic? Talk to anyone who has ever truly applied them and you may be surprised at the answer! There is no such thing as a coincidence. Everything happens for a reason and guess what; we are, or at least can be, the power behind that reason. We can actually cause the events and circumstances to occur that will bring about that upon which we are focusing our attention. Is it magic...? Talk to anyone who has experienced it....and, like I said, you may be surprised by the answer and perchance even a bit incredulous.

Is there any correlation with religion? Perhaps, perhaps not. That really depends on whether you are really talking about religion or spirituality (the difference between them is a whole other conversation). One connection that I have found is that I have heard many ministers/priests refer to God as the Creative Force of the Universe. Gee, sound familiar?
I guess I ought to clarify here that yes I have seen the DVD and am reading the book. Perhaps one of the reasons that the Secret has remained a secret can be found in this discussion. There are many skeptics and precious few that believe and practice its precepts.

The quote that is attributed to another auther....Ask...Believe...Receive... I do have some comments about that (and they may hit some Christians pretty hard and, who knows, may even start a really lively debate). First of all, the first occurence that I am aware of that expression is in Matthew 21:22. Jesus is very clear about this. There are NO restrictions placed on this concept by him. yeah I know, theologians will tell you that any request made persuant this verse MUST be in accord with God's will. Neither the verse nor the preceeding contextual passage place such a restriction upon it. It simply states WHATSOEVER YE ASK IN PRAYER, BELIEVING, YOU SHALL RECEIVE. Jesus also chastised his disciples on more than one occassion with "...oh ye of little faith..." How do you think they were able to raise the dead and heal the sick. Think about it! Jesus understood this concept (the Secret) and understood it well. And let us not forget the laws of karma. That which you send out WILL return to you!

The bottom line is that we have enormous power within ourselves to create what we want and what we want to be. Power that would shock and astound the average person.

Thanks,
e!
New User
KevinBerry
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Regarding belief, I'll say that the quality of belief is the key.

Mark 9:23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

I think it's only possible to truly believe in principles that are true. Notice the "If thou canst believe" part above.

God said in the Bible, Genesis 3:19 "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground;"

I don't know anyone who simply believed their way to material abundance without also working for it.

It would have made The Secret less popular to properly emphasise the work or action component to greater material abundance--so many people don't want to hear that part.

The movie does an excellent job however of helping people to understand and become positive and joyful in their thoughts and feelings--which in and of itself is immensely valuable.

Kevin Berry

Message Edited by KevinBerry on 03-29-200706:22 PM

Contributor
theoldkid
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
You are absolutely right on two points. The first is that it does take a certain level of belief. That level is absolute belief! The Secret requires absolute belief and conviction. That is the essence of the law of attraction. The same belief is required in Matt 21:22.
The other point is that of it requiring action. Yes it does. The DVD and book both point that out very clearly. It says that we must be prepared to take action and take that action very quickly when situations present themselves.

Message Edited by theoldkid on 03-29-200707:29 PM

Users Online
Currently online: 82 members 279 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: